Shock spring change and static stays the same?

So I have a 21 Kx250. With the stock 5.5kg shock spring and sag set to 105  my static sag was in the high 40s.  I dropped to a 5.0 shock spring and set sag to the same 105 and static is still 48. How is that possible? I would've expected static to drop quite a bit.

With the 5.5 I had to have almost zero preload to get 105 sag. The 5.0 is at about 6-7mm preload to get 105 sag. 

I'm about 175 no gear.

Edited by 95silverstallion

Posted (edited)

What source did the replacement spring come from?

Unlikely but still a possibility,

as most springs have a within 5% rate accuracy, if these particular springs are at their tolerance limits,

a 'stiff' 5.0 and a 'soft' 5.5 can have as little as a 0.1kg difference between them.

After witnessing a suspension shop test some fork springs for me,

I can attest that what the box/markings say and their actual rate is not always spot-on.

All marked as .44, it took like a dozen springs to find a pair that were exactly .44 (most were in the .43 range and a few higher)

Also, is the bike brand new / never ridden?

If so, the suspension will likely need some break-in to settle.

Edited by mlatour
  • Helpful 2

Do you push on the seat a few times before taking the measurements? Might be getting some stiction.

Also, brand new bike, but it's probably worth it to make sure those bearings are nice and greased too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In my experienced, if you remove/install the spring, things tend to 'settle' a bit after you've ridden it.

Recently after taking my shock apart / fully servicing it and, once completed setting my usual sag numbers, 

in only 15 laps the values changed, increasing the free sag my 2mm and race sag by 5mm.

Edited by mlatour

12 minutes ago, mlatour said:

In my experienced, if you remove/install the spring, things tend to 'settle' after you've ridden it.

Recently after taking my shock apart / fully servicing it and, once completed setting my usual sag numbers, 

in only 15 laps the values changed, increasing the free sag my 2mm and race sag by 5mm.

Good point. While the bike has 9 hrs, the suspension is 100% fresh.

1 hour ago, 95silverstallion said:

That's what my suspension guy recommended. 

What kind of riding do you do?  That stock spring is perfect for your weight. 

I don’t think your gonna get along with a 5.0 at all.  

6 minutes ago, chadk66 said:

I don’t think your gonna get along with a 5.0 at all.  

We're gonna find out that's for sure. 

Between race tech, teknik, and another site I don't remember. Plus talking to a couple different suspension guys I was surprised at how light of springs they all recommend front and back. And they all seemed basically on the same page, 5.0 or 5.2 shock. 

For basic info I'm 45yo, 175#, intermediate off-road rider.

Racetech specs 5.4 for you.  I run a 5.4 and I’m 170. 5.3 was too soft when I tried it. 

8 hours ago, 95silverstallion said:

When I enter my info in race tech it says 5.18 shock spring. 

When you enter the info don’t change any of the other info except your weight.  

6 hours ago, chadk66 said:

When you enter the info don’t change any of the other info except your weight.  

That gives me 5.4 but...what would be the point of not entering all the other info accurately?

However I did a hare scramble today and I did notice some wheelieing coming out of tight rutted turns. Suspension felt pretty good overall but could use a few clicks stiffer everywhere.

Edited by 95silverstallion

On 6/20/2021 at 4:25 PM, 95silverstallion said:

I was entering my "exact" info to give me 5.18. GNCC, 45yrs old, intermediate, 175.

I'm gonna give it a few more rides with some clicker adjustments then if it seems soft I'll talk to the suspension guy

It’s just seldom accurate that way.  Too many variables.  Just doing straight up your weight and using default settings for everything else is dead in 99% of the time.  To go from 5.4 to 5.0 is an enormous difference.