Broken Wrist recovery questions.

Posted (edited)

I have a question regarding broken wrists and recovery.  Back on May 9th I fell and broke both wrists.  The left wrist was not displaced and actually I didn’t realize it was broken for a few days.  The right wrist was displaced and I had a displaced radius break.  The doctor said I split the tip of the radius.   He said surgery was needed and I had surgery on May 18th.  They installed a titanium plate on the radius bone.   I went home in a plaster splint.   On June 2nd. I had a follow up appointment and He wanted me in a cast above my elbow.   I was difficult and insisted on removable splint (110 degree summers).   It is now June 18th, 4 weeks  post surgery.  How delicate is this repair?   When can I start Physical Therapy.   I know these are questions my doctor should answer but he doesn’t seem to like my questions.   I am a mechanic by trade so use of my hands is important.  Also because of my trouble shooting background I require detailed cause and effect answers on why things are treated a certain way.   The curse of critical thinking.   
My questions are :

1.  How long until I can start to try and move my wrist?

2.  Will my wrist be as strong durability wise as it was before?

3.  I have pain in my left wrist when it moves inside the cast near the ulna.   I do not feel this is bone related.    How can I tell if I screwed up tendons?   

Thanks for the replies.  I know I am a difficult patient.   

0C57A45A-DDA9-4C83-A6BF-2F955627A2F2.jpeg

C4527A93-05F2-43DD-93F7-922C46F7D95A.jpeg

Edited by condor74

Quality and a clear MRI should reveal damaged tendons. I broke a small bone my left wrist in '75, it hurt for at least 15 years with any sharp jolt. MRI was not available back then don't know what was happening. I would have it checked again if the pain is real and ongoing, a tendon is a big thing. If tou have doubts about the Doc I would do a lot of homework seeking a Dr who specializes in wrists and does a lot of them. I don't like/use "do it all" ortho types.

Unfortunately I was limited by my insurance (Kaiser)

Posted (edited)

I’m not sure how things go down your way... do you have a Sports /Medicine Clinic close by .. most doctors are pretty good .. I would seek an opinion from a clinic I’ve mentioned ..  and even tho you have not started physio you can go in for just an assessment ( Physio ) I’ve have done all this ... in my case it may be awhile before I get back into it .... wish you well ... heal up .

Edited by Chisler
  • Like 1

Kaiser has more than one DR, you owe it to yourself to be your own advocate. If this was your child would you be this passive? Your job and future enjoyment of life could be at stake here.

I just posted my deal just now.  Looks like same deal as mine.  Displaced left wrist, distal radial fracture with surgery, plate & 7 screws  

Did you experience any numbness in hand ?  my median nerve was somewhat compromised & now fighting numbness