Beta cooling thread.. fan, radiators, coolant whatever put here.

36 minutes ago, firffighter said:

False information.  Any bike is just a gross over generalization statement.  

A properly setup bike will not overheat in slow technical riding.  Even with little airflow.  

You talking e-bikes and/or bicycles here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are you posting just to be contrary? 

No, you made a statement that indicates all dirt bikes overheat if riding slow technical terrain.  I simply disagree.  Do you have a problem with people who disagree with you? Is this a forum where it's open to disagree? 

How about you do this: 

Defiine "overheat"

So, your car "overheats" everytime you're stuck in stop and go traffic on hot days? 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shrubitup said:

You talking e-bikes and/or bicycles here?

Does your RFS boil the coolant when you ride stuff so tight that your riding partner has a trials bike? 

No, not if it's properly setup. 

It's simple.  A dirt bike correctly tuned and setup won't boil it's coolant and steam even in the harshest of conditions. 

2 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Defiine "overheat"

So, your car "overheats" everytime you're stuck in stop and go traffic on hot days? 

I'm a fan of fans. Fans are great. However, my Beta 300 dint have no fan. You had to work very hard to make it boil. Only one boil in 3.5 years of ownership. Every other liquid cooled bike with displacement larger than 126CCs ridden slowly required a fan.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Does your RFS boil the coolant when you ride stuff so tight that your riding partner has a trials bike? 

It's simple.  A dirt bike correctly tuned and setup won't boil it's coolant and steam even in the harshest of conditions. 

Yes, my 525MXC RFS KTM boils in about 10 minutes of slow trail riding without a fan at 60F. Tried Evans once; don't intend to again. The 525 fan usually stays running for about a minute after I turn the motor off. I think that's pretty good. The Shorai battery isn't complaining either.

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 1

Just now, firffighter said:

Good Lord, the RFS was terrible about overheating. We'd put a high CFM 140mm computer server fan on the opposite radiator hooked up to the thermoswitch to try to keep them from boiling over in the technical stuff in hot weather. Why KTM didn't install a fan as standard eludes me, they were awful. They'd overheat just going up a hill in hot weather.

Remember this thing by HT Racing to try to help by cooling the oil on the RFS? 

2000-2007-Ktm-Rfs-Oil-Cooler-Kit-By-Ht-R

3 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

I'm a fan of fans. Fans are great. However, my Beta 300 dint have no fan. You had to work very hard to make it boil. Only one boil in 3.5 years of ownership. Every other liquid cooled bike with displacement larger than 126CCs ridden slowly required a fan.

Way better than the older KTM 300 for sure. ? 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Confused 1

Yes, the 525 RFS KTM boils in about 10 minutes of slow trail riding without a fan at 60F. Tried Evans once; don't intend to again. The 525 fan usually stays running for about a minute after I turn the motor off. I think that's pretty good. The Shorai battery isn't complaining either.

The fan will run continuously on an RFS if you're riding down the road in high temperatures. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Ud_Luz said:

Good Lord, the RFS was terrible about overheating. We'd put a high CFM 140mm computer server fan on the opposite radiator hooked up to the thermoswitch to try to keep them from boiling over in the technical stuff in hot weather. Why KTM didn't install a fan as standard eludes me, they were awful. They'd overheat just going up a hill in hot weather.

Remember this thing by HT Racing to try to help by cooling the oil on the RFS? 

2000-2007-Ktm-Rfs-Oil-Cooler-Kit-By-Ht-R

You decided to avoid simply defining overheating I see.

Never once boiled my 525 or 450exc. Fan, yes. Evan's yes. Correctly jetted key! 

• Like 1

Just now, shrubitup said:

got one laying around taking up space?

I sold the one I had a few years ago. As much as I loved the RFS, it just wasn't well suited for riding in high temps. I don't thinks Bill's cooler made that big of a difference other than holding a bit more oil. Installing a large computer fan on the opposite radiator does make a difference. Auto parts stores sell a nylon lock that goes through the radiator fins and will latch a computer fan on perfectly. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ud_Luz said:

The fan will run continuously on an RFS if you're riding down the road in high temperatures. 

No It won't.  You must have not set yours up correctly. 

Makes one wonder about the thousands of RFS KTM's that were dualsports and still ridden today in stop and go traffic? Weird!

I put 2500 miles on my 525 in 1 riding season riding everything in the PNW. 

Here's my 525 in Washington Cascades at high elevation in early September with temps in 90's. Took an hour crawling up nasty rock laiden goat trail to get up here. No boiling over.

Screenshot_20200801-110411_Instagram.jpg.8b62a535690806afec0b5c5d0c226b9e.jpg

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 1

My fan doesn't come on when riding roads. It's a KTM made fan (Spal actually) but thermostatically controlled.

I believe I still have a brand new one in the box on my shelf for an RFS. If you use the BMW 318i temperature sensor the fan comes on sooner. I believe it's a 180 degree unit versus the I think 195 KTM uses. It helps some. If you do use this and the fan comes on a lot than you really need to do the DC conversion, the DC side on the RFS is rather low current. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Ud_Luz said:

If you do use this and the fan comes on a lot than you really need to do the DC conversion, the DC side on the RFS is rather low current. 

What? 

Ran both my RFS bikes with fan. My 450 had 2 fans when I bought it. 

Zero problem with enough juice.

38 minutes ago, Ud_Luz said:

Way better than the older KTM 300 for sure

No problem if you've done your homework. 

Common practice if you owned an older KTM 300.

-You remove the thermostat 

-You run a reputable non water based coolant 

-You don't even need a fan

-You can put in silicon hoses 

Owned 5 of them over the years dating back to "99.  Zero "overheating" issues 

Screenshot_20210408-082815_Instagram.jpg.9e3bfd9ea233fdc3d2922aa622acc17d.jpg

19 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I just saw this when looking at mylers big radiators. 

AE5A3418-35C8-4ECF-B625-9E6850825F6D.png

728EFFA9-1878-441E-B4D4-87150C316EE8.png

Mylers Radiators are SOOOFFFTTTTTT aluminum.

When I had my Husky 350 with IMS tank, they wouldn't fit, but they modded them to fit for free. They're customer service and repair are great.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, firffighter said:

What? 

Ran both my RFS bikes with fan. My 450 had 2 fans when I bought it. 

Zero problem with enough juice.

The fan draws roughly 40 watts. The DC output on the RFS is 35 watts. If the fan never shuts off the battery will slowly discharge. This is why you float the ground converting the entire system to DC resulting in roughly 100 watts. 

KTM fused the fan with a 5A fuse, over 60 watts if it actually drew all that current. 

I've done dozens of conversions and in some cases hand rewound the stator for guys running grip heaters or bigger headlights usually resulting in around 120 watts. 

• Like 2