82 xr

If you need to go lower than just correct sag settings, contact race tech. They can sell you top out spacers to lower the bike as much as you want to. You can send your components to them if you can’t do the work yourself. 

How tall are you? If you are over 5’8”, the stock suspension settings (ride height) should be fine. 

Edited by Willie71

I have a 03 XR400R seat height is 36", i`m 5`8" with 32" inseam and 160lbs.  I contacted the race tech shop here in FL about reworking my suspension with the gold valves and lowering it 1" front and rear. Got a estimate of 1100.00 still undecided if i`m going to go for it. Already decided against shaving down the seat or using a lowering link. May have to get all the parts and do the labor myself.

1 hour ago, XR Papa said:

I have a 03 XR400R seat height is 36", i`m 5`8" with 32" inseam and 160lbs.  I contacted the race tech shop here in FL about reworking my suspension with the gold valves and lowering it 1" front and rear. Got a estimate of 1100.00 still undecided if i`m going to go for it. Already decided against shaving down the seat or using a lowering link. May have to get all the parts and do the labor myself.

Your suspension would dampen as good as a modern bike then, so a worthwhile investment. Once you consider getting an ohlins rear shock would set you back more than $1500 by itself. The front is easier to fix. Any XR or CR front suspension will be a bolt on or near bolt on upgrade. Better rigidity, and better brakes too. 

Yeah when you consider $450 to $500 is what i`d be paying for someone with the experience and right tools to do the work, the parts are not all that expensive.

Not going to take three inches out of my seat because there would be nothing but the seat pan left. According to their tech I won`t lose my ground clearance with their method of lowering versus one of those crappy links.

The stock Honda rear spring is rated for a rider of at least 190lbs. Not ever going to work like I want it to for my light 160lb ass.

Edited by XR Papa

• 5 weeks later...

BFD So I will lose an inch of ground clearance back in the 70`s I raced and trail rode bikes with a lot less clearance and suspension. My XR goes to Race tech next week. Looking forward to a more comfortable seat height and better handling bike. 

On 6/29/2021 at 7:52 PM, XR Papa said:

Yeah when you consider $450 to $500 is what i`d be paying for someone with the experience and right tools to do the work, the parts are not all that expensive.

Not going to take three inches out of my seat because there would be nothing but the seat pan left. According to their tech I won`t lose my ground clearance with their method of lowering versus one of those crappy links.

The stock Honda rear spring is rated for a rider of at least 190lbs. Not ever going to work like I want it to for my light 160lb ass.

160? almost the weight of a tall woman. Hit the burger stand bro...?

2 hours ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

160? almost the weight of a tall woman. Hit the burger stand bro...?

Got to limit the burgers to no more than twice a week, tough to maintain the 6 pack abs after you pass 60. If I ate more burgers I would have to cut back on the beer.

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 2