Clutch! Help! I know it has been “talked” before, but I can find any answers to my issue

My DRz400S does VERY hard load “clicks” when I go from neutral to any other gear. I have tried adjusting cable, changing oils, checking the basket, changing clutch plates for new ones, adjusting the chain tension, verifying the cam chain timing and I still have the issue. Whenever I change from one gear to another, speacially downshifting, the bike makes a very loud sound of metal smashing. Otherwise the bike runs perfect. I do not know if it is the transmission or what else, I hope not. I putted the bike on the stance, and tried changing gear there to see if the sound was coming from the chain, but the sound comes from the transmission close to where the front sprocket is located. I am honestly desperate since I don’t find a solution anywhere! Could someone please help me. i do have a video of what the bike does, but I cant upload it here. 

Also while in the stance, I noticed that when I let go of the clutch while in a gear, the tire starts spinning, but when I pull the clutch back in the tire slows but keeps spinning for a long time. If I put it on neutral it stops much faster. Again, I have played with the clutch cable on the upper side and on the bottom side as well, so its definitely not the cable or free play. Not the oil, and not a defective/ old clutch plates(they are new). I also tried using the bike to “let the clutch” adjust a little, but nope, nothing good came out. 

Hi,

Unfortunately it sounds like the clutch is fine, the spinning back wheel is a normal thing in gear with the clutch pulled in as there is always friction in the clutch.  This only leads to there being issues with the transmission. To remedy this you may need to split the cases and have a good look at what you have.

I'd like to see the video.  To get the video on here post it to YouTube then copy the link URL and insert it into your post and the video will turn up here.

I hope this helps

• Like 3

I had a KTM 950sm that clunked into gear like an old Harley. Never could figure out what it was, but it ran and shifted fine otherwise. My drz goes into gear smoothly, so It's odd that yours appears different especially after all the checks you made. All I can offer is to make sure you're getting full travel at the clutch lever that's mounted to the shaft on the engine case, and that it's tight on the splines. It should sit parallel to the centerline of the bike.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

I had a KTM 950sm that clunked into gear like an old Harley. Never could figure out what it was, but it ran and shifted fine otherwise. My drz goes into gear smoothly, so It's odd that yours appears different especially after all the checks you made. All I can offer is to make sure you're getting full travel at the clutch lever that's mounted to the shaft on the engine case, and that it's tight on the splines. It should sit parallel to the centerline of the bike.

Thanks! Just verified, but is fully rotated inwards  and the line its attached parallel as well so it should had “max” effect when engaging, but still the same. I have noticed that his sound has become more noticeable over time. 

On 7/3/2021 at 7:19 PM, 76xtdrvr said:

Verify the assembly is per the manual diagram below ,if not already done.  Also, how about the clutch springs? The low end service limit for the spring length is 49.9mm or 1.97".

001.jpg.1d40da0344c9e9bffd525113dadf8059.jpgThe spring are new, they were replaced for the exact same that it had that were the high tension ones. I will double check the installation is right. I am also planning on uploading the video of the issue today. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 2:51 PM, Alexander Ortiz Maldonado said:

My DRz400S does VERY hard load “clicks” when I go from neutral to any other gear. I have tried adjusting cable, changing oils, checking the basket, changing clutch plates for new ones, adjusting the chain tension, verifying the cam chain timing and I still have the issue. Whenever I change from one gear to another, speacially downshifting, the bike makes a very loud sound of metal smashing. Otherwise the bike runs perfect. I do not know if it is the transmission or what else, I hope not. I putted the bike on the stance, and tried changing gear there to see if the sound was coming from the chain, but the sound comes from the transmission close to where the front sprocket is located. I am honestly desperate since I don’t find a solution anywhere! Could someone please help me. i do have a video of what the bike does, but I cant upload it here. 

Also while in the stance, I noticed that when I let go of the clutch while in a gear, the tire starts spinning, but when I pull the clutch back in the tire slows but keeps spinning for a long time. If I put it on neutral it stops much faster. Again, I have played with the clutch cable on the upper side and on the bottom side as well, so its definitely not the cable or free play. Not the oil, and not a defective/ old clutch plates(they are new). I also tried using the bike to “let the clutch” adjust a little, but nope, nothing good came out. 

Clutch disks sound like they're dragging. Is it hard to find neutral? Number 1 cause is the cable is too loose. If you're confident that it's adjusted well with free play, but not too much free play that you can't disengage the clutch, then you might take a gander at the clutch. Maybe incorrect installation is to blame. You say the clutch is new, so I will ask, was this problem there with the old clutch? What brand clutch? New springs were also installed? Is the basket good or is it notched? All the steels are facing the same direction? Your Jutter springs are installed correctly and the smaller diameter friction disk is first at the bottom of the stack? 

Edited by AZ_atypical

With chain off ,does front counter shaft turn super easy in neutral or does it drag?     it should free wheel (super easy), if it drags then you have some tolerance wear that's causing drag inside of the transmission.