I think my knee finally gave up

For years, my left knee has been giving me intermittent pains. It started off where it would periodically hit when I would stand up from being squatted down. It was random, and as I stood up, my knee cap would pop, and I’d have a sharp pain above the knee cap that would linger for maybe an hour, and I could walk it off. It may do this once every couple of weeks. 

From there, it became more frequent over time, and eventually it turned into when I would sit with my knee bent, it would cause the same pain. Straightening it out straight would result in a knee cap pop, but holding my leg straight is the only thing to make the pain subside. The longer I sit with it bent, the worse it hurts. 

I’ve been dealing with that for maybe a year. Well, last week it got worse. Now I have a constant pain above the knee cap and it pops every time I straighten my leg. I would rate the constant paint at maybe a 5, with flare ups that go to a 7-8. It hurts bad enough that it wakes me up at night from laying with it one position to long and when I straighten my leg, it hurts bad for a few minutes until it eases up again. 

I have an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday. I’m really hoping this is going to be a “clean up,” type fix. Either way, I’m sure this is going to result in some time off work. If I can’t push a rudder pedal, I can’t work. It puts my FAA medical at risk too. Fun times. Any guess as to what I’m dealing with?

Edited by 69fastback

On 7/11/2021 at 7:19 AM, 69fastback said:

For years, my left knee has been giving me intermittent pains. It started off where it would periodically hit when I would stand up from being squatted down. It was random, and as I stood up, my knee cap would pop, and I’d have a sharp pain above the knee cap that would linger for maybe an hour, and I could walk it off. It may do this once every couple of weeks. 

From there, it became more frequent over time, and eventually it turned into when I would sit with my knee bent, it would cause the same pain. Straightening it out straight would result in a knee cap pop, but holding my leg straight is the only thing to make the pain subside. The longer I sit with it bent, the worse it hurts. 

I’ve been dealing with that for maybe a year. Well, last week it got worse. Now I have a constant pain above the knee cap and it pops every time I straighten my leg. I would rate the constant paint at maybe a 5, with flare ups that go to a 7-8. It hurts bad enough that it wakes me up at night from laying with it one position to long and when I straighten my leg, it hurts bad for a few minutes until it eases up again. 

I have an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday. I’m really hoping this is going to be a “clean up,” type fix. Either way, I’m sure this is going to result in some time off work. If I can’t push a rudder pedal, I can’t work. It puts my FAA medical at risk too. Fun times. Any guess as to what I’m dealing with?

Holy shit. Do you have short and long term disability insurance through your employer? Because you're gonna need it. 

You might want to talk to the doc about getting a cortisone shot in your knee, I tweaked my bad knee (old injury)pretty good last year and it was keeping me off the bike and hurting a lot.  3 weeks after a cortisone shot, it felt really good and (a year later ) it still feels better now than it did the previous 3 years. 

57 minutes ago, 69fastback said:

Well, the pain is progressing again. It hurts as bad as it did before the shot. Ugh

Dam dude that sux 

4 hours ago, 69fastback said:

Well, the pain is progressing again. It hurts as bad as it did before the shot. Ugh

It takes at least a week, maybe 2-3 for the cortisone to do its job and make the inflammation disappear , once the inflammation disappears, the pain usually does too. That’s been my experience anyway . Good luck ? 

On 7/21/2021 at 4:29 PM, ss-racing66 said:

It takes at least a week, maybe 2-3 for the cortisone to do its job and make the inflammation disappear , once the inflammation disappears, the pain usually does too. That’s been my experience anyway . Good luck ? 

It’s been 10 days. I mean, like it’s almost debilitating. 

• Sad 1