Off-Road, Woods only..Front Brake Rotor: Solid vs. Floater

What brake rotor do you fine folks prefer for your strictly off-road, woods bike.. solid, or floater??

I'm not necessarily wanting to know brand specific, but feel free to let us know your experiences!

I ride a 09' WR450 strictly off-road. My current terrains consist of everything except desert. I got the bike a year ago with a floater (possibly factory original). It stops well enough, but I feel like the floats get clogged with sand/mud then starts to squeal.

I recently got a new solid rotor (haven't had the chance to test it in the bikes natural habitat yet), then I got another set of wheels off a 12' (with very few miles) that has a (new) factory floater.

So I was dead set on going solid rotor, until I also ended up with a new floater.

What do your prefer.. pros/cons of either??

On a dirt bike, it does not matter a lot regarding the reason that floaters exist. The only down side is if the floater rivets wear. A floater does give slightly better high speed braking stability but then again, I doubt many run 90 mph into a corner and are on the front brake hard enough to make the back light, over and over for an hour.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, William1 said:

On a dirt bike, it does not matter a lot regarding the reason that floaters exist. The only down side is if the floater rivets wear. A floater does give slightly better high speed braking stability but then again, I doubt many run 90 mph into a corner and are on the front brake hard enough to make the back light, over and over for an hour.

I understand the purpose is a floating disk. It does make sense to put them on duel sports. I've seen them on MX bikes too.. which makes sense if you're cleaning the rivets between heats.

But when I'm out, odds are I'm not even cleaning the dirt out of my teeth 😂.

I'm probably going with the solid, but open to  go with the floater if it comes recommended higher.. mostly just curious about others preferences.