Jump to content
Rod21

Anyone monitor transmission temperature while towing?

Recommended Posts

Just recently installed scangauge II to monitor 2003 Tacoma transmission temperature while towing. 

Holey shit 230f trying to ascend from 4k to 10k without pulling a trailer or bikes in the bed.

Just something to keep in mind when toting your kit around to high elevations!

Because "HEAT" is the number 1 destroyer of your auto cog box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Posted (edited)

Anytime I tow my toy hauler or tandem axle, I have trans temp displayed. Hit 232 one time on a steep grade with 5mph traffic. That was about 15 minutes, then it opened up and went back to 200. After that trip I flushed the tranny. 2015 Suburban 

Edited by Guest
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Lets hope the transmission cooler is working on these machines.

I guess that's the point of this post  ... riding is a lot more involved than throwing a leg over and starting the bitch!

If you have to tote your rigs out of liberal sanctioned areas and have an auto gearbox, watch your transmission temps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rod21 said:

I guess that's the point of this post  ... riding is a lot more involved than throwing a leg over and starting the bitch!

If you have to tote your rigs out of liberal sanctioned areas and have an auto gearbox, watch your transmission temps!

Aye!!!!

Fat_1.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Were you in towing in top gear / overdrive when this happened ?

If so, next time try downshifting a gear.

 

According to specs your truck should have an A340F 4-speed / overdrive transmission,

4th being a 0.705 overdrive , 3rd being a direct drive 1:1 ratio.

 

It will increase rpms at any given (highway) road speeds but reduce the load (heat) on both the engine and transmission.

Fuel mileage may actually improve if it requires less throttle input to maintain speed versus lugging in 4th.

 

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mlatour said:

 

Were you in towing in top gear / overdrive when this happened ?

If so, next time try downshifting a gear.

 

According to specs your truck should have an A340F 4-speed / overdrive transmission

4th being a 0.705 overdrive , 3rd being a direct drive 1:1 ratio 

It will increase rpms at any given (highway) road speeds but reduce the load (heat) on both the engine and transmission.

fuel mileage may actually increase if it requires less throttle input.

 

Wasn't towing anything, but will soon,  which is disconcerting. Yes I did turn off OD and haven't connected aux fan for small aftermarket trans cooler.  Just surprised me trans temp increase while climbing when torque converter isn't locked!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Do you have anything ahead of the grill/cooler that could reduce airflow?

Brush guard, driving lights etc.

Did you remove any type of valance or air dam under the front bumper?

Big tires, heavy aftermarket wheels/mags?

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rod21 said:

 

Holey shit 230f trying to ascend from 4k to 10k without pulling a trailer or bikes in the bed.

 

Stock bumper, shrouds, air dam?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, kxlubber said:

Stock bumper, shrouds, air dam?

Front license plate is blocking some airflow at speed but I think the issue is low speed climbing behind slower traffic. Hence getting aux fan installed. 

Lord knows what temperature the trans fluid hit prior to scangauge 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OAT wasn't even high, probably low 80's and even the big boy trucks hauling large campers and toy haulers were pulled over for a rest. 

Caught me by surprise now that I'm monitoring  ... just don't want anyone to burn up  their tranny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 The Duramax w/Allision transmission gets it to 200 degrees than the fan kicks in and stabilizes.  

 Switching to tow/haul mode on grades does lower the temperature. I assume it locks the converter for less slippage.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long Tru Cool trans cooler.  They make nice units, plate n fin design, and fairly priced.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your going to be towing something significant your truck should be equipped with a tow package option from the factory, and you should also be using the tow/haul function. Some people think the towing package option just means it has a class 3 hitch but there is more to it, and it is the difference between the transmission overheating and failing, or it being capable of towing up to its limit without failing assuming overall condition is as it should be. If there is a weak spot or powertrain problem it will usually show up while towing. In the mountains. On a hot day. 

  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2021 at 6:47 AM, Rod21 said:

Just recently installed scangauge II to monitor 2003 Tacoma transmission temperature while towing. 

Holey shit 230f trying to ascend from 4k to 10k without pulling a trailer or bikes in the bed.

Just something to keep in mind when toting your kit around to high elevations!

Because "HEAT" is the number 1 destroyer of your auto cog box.

Beaten to it, was going to ask if you turned off O/D.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2021 at 6:16 PM, mlatour said:

Do you have anything ahead of the grill/cooler that could reduce airflow?

Brush guard, driving lights etc.

Did you remove any type of valance or air dam under the front bumper?

Big tires, heavy aftermarket wheels/mags?

Also, any much bug schmegma?  Using proper stock coolant, trans fluid, levels?

Edited by BSAVictor
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you might  see  about  a Larger  cooler,  some  pretty great  aftermarket ones  around.    and so  a  search and see if a  cast alum trans pan is  available.  put one on my sprinter,  drops  trans temps  30 degrees  up  the  ridge route on a  hot summer  day.  it also has  an extra  liter  of fluid.       my .02 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that's hot.  I see temps like that on a f350 pulling 17k# in summer.  The hottest my half ton has reached is 210 while pulling 8k# up steep grades.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...