RR 200 forks …. Any luck on making them good ?

7 minutes ago, Burger72 said:

I’m not asking for advice lol for the last time I asked if anyone had found a solution to making the fork actually work well and not feel cheap and crap as it does out the box ! I’m not asking for personal setting just anyone’s experience who has actually made these fork work real well…. It’s pretty clear from the response so far that it’s a No 

That's asking for advice. If you hate the fork, the answer is obvious, buy a Yamaha. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Burger72 said:

Riding other peoples bikes is not the same as owning / riding / racing and living with your own bike.

My initial post is asking if anyone has found a solution to the problem ? Obviously including re-valving etc … I’ve yet to meet anyone who has also found them to be less than adequate and has made massive improvements by having a re-valve , other forks / brands yes 100% But I’m talking 100% Sachs Beta 20-22 rr forks specifically 

I have done the racetech conversion on my 21 rr, night and day better. 

• Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, Hubert Carpet said:

TBH, if Yamaha offered a proper 250 or 300 2T enduro with electric start that I could road register in the UK, I would  already have one. Possibly one of each.

Yeah, everyone who prefers a bike that won't turn would have one. They're pretty great even without significant R&D in the last fifteen years. 

• Angry 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

The Sachs are pretty good. The cheapest improvement is the Dal Soggio B-one kit. $300. Plenty of other options.

+1.

However, you won’t stop cavitation - a cause of harsh mid-stroke - with valving. I’ve done it all to Sachs - Gold valves, re-valves, B-One, Lucky’s. The only solution that worked for me was a closed cartridge fork. Think about how much your time is worth in wrenching, freighting carts around the joint, etc.

Buy Ohlins TTX carts, fit them yourself in 40min and go ride. They transform the bike. Period. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The problem with the inserts is that it does not cure a major problem with the sachs forks. The coating issues with those forks will still be a problem. Only real solution is a swap to either showa, Ohlins or KYB. The last i looked those Ohlins carts where 1100 USD. For a few hundred more a KYB or showa swap can be done. Over time you save yourself time and money doing it the right way.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Eric72 said:

The problem with the inserts is that it does not cure a major problem with the sachs forks. The coating issues with those forks will still be a problem. Only real solution is a swap to either showa, Ohlins or KYB. The last i looked those Ohlins carts where 1100 USD. For a few hundred more a KYB or showa swap can be done. Over time you save yourself time and money doing it the right way.

How's your project coming along?

10 minutes ago, Eric72 said:

Mine still look brand new at 105 hours. Sachs ZF. After 50 hours on this oil it still looked pretty clean. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. 

10 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

How's your project coming along?

On hold been busy with other hobbies and life. It will continue to be on hold until i have time to take them to someone who will change those lugs. Why?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HeavyWaffles said:

Mine still look brand new at 105 hours. Sachs ZF. After 50 hours on this oil it still looked pretty clean. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. 

Normally i would agree on the dont fix unless it broken type of thinking. In this case from what i have been told by people i trust the best fix is to move away from the sachs forks all together. Good for you that your oil is clean, but you might be in the minority. 

Edited by Eric72
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Eric72 said:

On hold been busy with other hobbies and life. It will continue to be on hold until i have time to take them to someone who will change those lugs. Why?

When you're done we always want to hear about the new stuff.

• Like 1

Tell you what old buddy,I'll raise you this twenty hour oil sample and call .And yes that's alum thats settled to the bottom of the jar.We don't screw around here in The Great White North!

20210718_203455.jpeg

Edited by Odysseus
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Eric72 said:

Normally i would agree on the dont fix unless it broken type of thinking. In this case from what i have been told by people i trust the best fix is to move away from the sachs forks all together. Good for you that your oil is clean, but you might be in the minority. 

I still need to come ride those concrete pads with you, see what it is you animals are doing to these poor bikes to thrash the forks that work just fine for me. Or you could come cruise my easy trails at the relaxed pace I run and give your bike a nice rest.

24 minutes ago, HeavyWaffles said:

I still need to come ride those concrete pads with you, see what it is you animals are doing to these poor bikes to thrash the forks that work just fine for me. Or you could come cruise my easy trails at the relaxed pace I run and give your bike a nice rest.

I have not ridden since march. Other hobbies, family and work have been filling my time. The beta has had a good rest in fact it has a fresh IRC VE 33s on it that has not seen dirt. Have not opened up my forks, and probably wont until after the kyb project is finished. We have others who run around that property that are animals, but i surely am not one of them. One of these years i will spread my wings and get down your way. I am also afraid that you guys will try and pass off some of that aluminum sachs fork oil off as beer.

Edited by Eric72
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Eric72 said:

I have not ridden since march. Other hobbies, family and work have been filling my time. The beta has had a good rest in fact it has a fresh IRC VE 33s on it that has not seen dirt. Have not opened up my forks, and probably wont until after the kyb project is finished. We have others who run around that property that are animals, but i surely am not one of them. One of these years i will spread my wings and get down your way. I am also afraid that you guys will try and pass off some of that aluminum sachs fork oil off as beer.

Perfect, I haven't ridden since April. Broken bones and what not. I'm gonna get back to it in 2 weeks. I'm pretty weak though. 

So after my initial responses some agree that the stock forks are shite and not worth wasting time on ….. the 22’s have the new coating / finish on the upper tubes which may or may not rid the legs of the oil contamination….. spoke with a few tuners today who said they can re-valve which will improve them but can’t work miracles or polish turds …..  

• Confused 1

my solution was a fresh set of upper tubes from Beta, hard coat from AfterHours, and Lucky carts from EnduroSpec ... took a bit to dial from 250 > 200 but same recipe of heavier (aka correct) springs, less preload, and less oil dialed them right in. working fantastic last 3 rides. had i not already had the carts, i would have tried the B-One kit.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Burger72 said:

So after my initial responses some agree that the stock forks are shite and not worth wasting time on ….. the 22’s have the new coating / finish on the upper tubes which may or may not rid the legs of the oil contamination….. spoke with a few tuners today who said they can re-valve which will improve them but can’t work miracles or polish turds …..  

Fwiw.I had my upper tubes hard coated from the get go which only temporarily mitigated the problem of wear and  oil fouling.I've got two hundred hours on them and they still perform well but only if the oil is changed very frequently which can amount to a not  insignificant unwanted labour and material expense if you need to farm out the work to a shop.Sachs forks kind of remind me of a favorite pair of  old blue jeans in,they just seem to get softer with age. 

Edited by Odysseus
  • Like 5