Why no Bst33 Clones?

The BST33 on my DR350 is just about too far gone to salvage. Take my word for it- cleaning/rebuilding the dr350 carb is trivial compared to the carbs on my road bikes. 

I need a new carb, but I’m shocked at the prices for even a used mikuni. 

I’ve noticed that Chinese knock-offs abound for the Dr200 carb and seemingly every other carb ever made. WHY can I not find a knock off for the bst33? What am I missing?
Please post a link if you know where to find one!

Please don’t say anything if all you’re going to do is advise against the idea (thanks capt obvious).

1st post here and you are asking us to "take my word"?  LOL, thats a good one!

I never believe one word from anyone who tells me: take my word.... 🙂

pictures of that poor carb or it didnt happen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turboguzzi said:

1st post here and you are asking us to "take my word"?  LOL, thats a good one!

I never believe one word from anyone who tells me: take my word.... 🙂

pictures of that poor carb or it didnt happen

Considering it’s my first post and I prompted a question that’s never been answered, I’d say I’m doing pretty good for myself. Isn’t that what forums are for?

“Take my word for it” only inspires incredulity in me if someone is trying to sell me something, but for starters- a thin area around the rim of the intake side was chipped by a PO who i assume had the dexterity of a toddler. It was repaired w/ jb weld. Also, the flathead slots on the smaller jets are totally stripped. 

Considering Chinese Dr200 carbs are $40, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to see if I can get a knockoff bst33 to work if someone could tell me where to find one. 

While I’m aware this is bound to offend the highfalutin principles of Suzuki maintenance exalted by my esteemed co-commenters, I have personally reconciled the inherent compromises of my proposal.

btw- what oil do you recommend? (kidding)

Hmmm. Maybe this won't be a very "popular" answer to your carb issue, and likely won't be much help. I'll apologize up front for that.

In my humble opinion, mostly from a PERFORMANCE standpoint, the slow throttle response from most CV carbs like the BST series is kinda sucko. Now, that doesn't mean they're not a good carb. They are a good mixer, for what the engineers had in mind, emissions, for putt-putting around, and etc.. But for me personally, I can't live with their slow throttle response.

I wish I knew the Mikuni model that came standard on my old 1980 Yamaha TT250. It had an accelerator pump, was setup and jetted really well from the factory, and worked really well, especially for off-ide throttle response. For some reason, you could leave the float bowl full of fuel on that bike, let it sit for 4-6 months, and it would still start on the first or second kick, with ethanol fuel. :jawdrop: Those Mikuni carbs would be  great one to adapt to a DR250, and possibly your 350. They're a little tough to find, and I believe they were a carb made expressly for the Yamaha TT series. I haven't been able to find a "generic" one from Mikuni, like their VM series.

And speaking of Mikuni's round-slide VM series, those carbs might be your best bet for a non-stock replacement. All sorts of jets and parts for those carbs are widely available. They are a very civil, easy-to-live-with carb when dialed in, and perform decently. But the dialing in is the tough part of the equation. If you've never jetted a carb from scratch, it can be daunting chore, but is doable. There's a lot of good info out there in cyberville to help do that. And it might be worth looking into at places like Sudco, Pro-Cycle, or other Mikuni sources, to see if they have any pre-jetted kits for your bike. Just do your home work, and don't go too big on the size. Most carbs that are 3-5mm smaller will flow better than the BST carbs do. I have a 24mm OKO (Taiwanese-made copy of the nice Keihin PWK-series of carbs) that outperforms my old Mikuni 31mm BST in everyway but fuel economy. But that's never been an issue; even with my smaller plastic tank I can still squeeze close to 175 miles of range. The OKOs, when sized correctly, work really well. I originally went 1mm smaller, at 30mm, for the first OKO I tried. It ran like a raped ape from 1/2 throttle on, but quick throttle openings from idle would make it flame out. It's too large of a carb for my little 200's application. When I went down to a 24mm, life got much better. It has mucho better off-idle throttle response, and still runs stronger at all rev ranges than the BST would ever allow. If these carbs came with some sort of accelerator pump for a 4-stroke application, and perhaps a better assortment of slides, they'd be perfect when set up correctly. If you feel "adventurous", and would like to try a 30mm version of these OKO, lemme know. I have a fair amount of main and pilot jets for these carbs (they use Keihin PWK jets, as well as  lot of other parts), and a few extra needles.

Not because I have a OKO I'm trying to sell, but I'd beware of most of the Chinese Mikuni carbs off of ebay, Amazon, and such. A lot of those are pretty much not worth the $40 (or whatever) cost.

And yeah, these forums ARE for asking questions like these. And for sharing of ideas, opinions, experiences, and such.

And Wesson vegetable cooking oil is a very secret lubrication technology few have discovered and tapped into. Especially if you want oil that smells like breakfast when you do an oil change.

Jimmie

Edited by Mr. Neutron
to clarify a point or two

You'll find the same issue with the TM33, or at least I have. There don't seem to be any inexpensive clones out there, which is a bit weird considering how many other carbs have been knocked off and how popular the TM33 is. Interestingly when you look at parts sites in the US like Partzilla or Suzuki Warehouse, they actually list the wrong carb for the early dirt model DR350. They list the CV carb instead of the TM33. I had a conversation with a very cordial rep at Partzilla who told me that Suzuki "discontinued" the TM33 and no longer offers part support for it, which means you can't order TM33 parts through them. I don't know if this has any relevance to the scarcity of clones. 

dont know, maybe its just the profile pic that doesnt inspire confidence 😉

like many things on ebay, sometimes its the words you choose (and the fact that there must be 10 times more quad owners than old DR owners)

know of quite a few cases where these have been adapted to bikes,

you seem like a smart guy, im sure youll get the idea

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=trx350+carb&_sacat=0

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=raptor+carb&_sacat=0