2008 kxf250 won’t start

I recently rebuilt a 2008 kxf250 over a long period, the bike ran fine was a bit hard to start and couldn’t work out the problem, after cleaning the carb spotless and putting it back together was a little better but wouldn’t run for long. Then it slipped it’s time chain and died after examining the bike again I found the rings spacing weren’t properly split around the piston. Thinking it may have hydrauliced? I took the head off, honed it new rings on, put it back together, the timing is perfect the shims are bang on but I still can not get it to start. It will kick over fine and back fire or run for a second then die! It’s driving me crazy, does the engine need to come back out? Or is it as easy as a new spark plug ? The plug seems fine and still has spark !!! Someone please help!!!!

If it jumped time there’s a good chance your piston smacked and bent the valves. Probably aren’t getting any compression. 

Are you sure it’s jetted right? The 06-08 KXFs are some of the easiest starting 250f’s when jetted properly. Are you holding the hot start? Is it flooded? Is your plug wet after a bunch of attempts? 

Edited by Slick_Nick

It's probaby flooded. To clear the flood, SLOWLY move the throttle to wide open. (Take about 5 seconds to go from closed to open.) If you turn it too quickly you won't bypass the accelerator pump and it will dump in a whole bunch more fuel. Hold it wide open and kick it about 8 times. This should clear the flood.

To start: Dry the plug. DO NOT use any throttle when starting the KXF's they flood easily. Hold the hot start open, bring it to TDC, and kick smoothly and kinda slowly. If you "jab" the kicker like a two stroke it usually won't work.