Steve McQueen’s First Husqvarna Garners $204,000 At Auction

• Bryan II changed the title to Steve McQueen’s First Husqvarna Garners $204,000 At Auction

I had a ‘72 WR250, most of the details the same as this 360, except it had Akront aluminum rims and a different bottom end.  Shocks and forks were a little different.

I saved my money working after school and summer to buy it for $1200.  My dad loaned me the last $300 and let me work it off at his film shop.  I think McQueen paid wholesale for his bikes.

• Like 1

I never got the McQueen thing.

He was a nice guy and a talented rider.

I knew folks who rode with him and Wally Cox (Mr. Peepers).

Maybe it's because he was a cool Hollywood guy who was also "one of us."

But who is "us" now?

People who can pay $50k for a pair of sunglasses he MIGHT have worn, or $200k for a $2.5k motorcycle.

And, as an actor, he could run the whole gamut of emotions from A to B.

The blue-tinted sunglasses (Persol 714) worn by McQueen in the 1968 movie The Thomas Crown Affair sold at a Bonhams & Butterfields auction in Los Angeles for $70,200 in 2006.[136] One of his motorcycles, a 1937 Crocker, sold for a world-record price of $276,500 at the same auction. McQueen's 1963 metallic-brown Ferrari 250 GT Lusso Berlinetta sold for US$2.31 million at auction on August 16, 2007.[67] Except for three motorcycles sold with other memorabilia in 2006,[137] most of McQueen's collection of 130 motorcycles was sold four years after his death.[138][139] The 1970 Porsche 911S purchased while making the film Le Mans and appearing in the opening sequence was sold at auction in August 2011 for $1.375 million. From 1995 to 2011, McQueen's red 1957 fuel-injected Chevrolet convertible was displayed at the Petersen Automotive Museumin Los Angeles in a special Cars of Steve McQueen exhibit. It is now in the collection of actress Ruth Buzzi and her husband Kent Perkins. McQueen's British racing green 1956 Jaguar XKSS is also located in the Petersen Automotive Museum and is in drivable condition, having been driven by Jay Leno in an episode of Jay Leno's Garage. In August 2019, Mecum Auctions announced it would auction the Bullitt Mustang Hero Car at its Kissimmee auction, held January 2–12, 2020.[140] The car sold without reserve for $3.4 million ($3.74 million after commissions and fees).

The ‘56 Jag is probably the most valuable.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 5:30 PM, Charlie Chitlins said:

I never got the McQueen thing.

He was a nice guy and a talented rider.

I knew folks who rode with him and Wally Cox (Mr. Peepers).

Maybe it's because he was a cool Hollywood guy who was also "one of us."

But who is "us" now?

People who can pay $50k for a pair of sunglasses he MIGHT have worn, or $200k for a $2.5k motorcycle.

And, as an actor, he could run the whole gamut of emotions from A to B.

Unless you have met Steve personally like I had as a 15 with dad also a bike comes first person all his life before women and marriage you would think differently about Steve. To get that boyish grin with a bit of a evil eyed looking stare knowing Steve as just a big kid at heart but also having a serious side of him and the way he looked at life. Yes Steve had a internal battle within himself but who doesn't, who am I to judge? The little guy running around us at the time was Chad back in 68. I never forgot Neile and as a 15 year old she had a way of looking rather sexy in a certain way naturally. .....~~=o&o>......

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThumperHead said:

Unless you have met Steve personally like I had as a 15 with dad also a bike comes first person all his life before women and marriage you would think differently about Steve. To get that boyish grin with a bit of a evil eyed looking stare knowing Steve as just a big kid at heart but also having a serious side of him and the way he looked at life. Yes Steve had a internal battle within himself but who doesn't, who am I to judge? The little guy running around us at the time was Chad back in 68. I never forgot Neile and as a 15 year old she had a way of looking rather sexy in a certain way naturally. .....~~=o&o>......

Well...I believe that.

But there are a LOT of people who never met him that feel differently about him.

On 9/4/2021 at 6:47 AM, Charlie Chitlins said:

I didn't know he had a Crocker.

But Steve's Crocker was the enclosed vertical valve "Nail Head Buick" design vs one of the five Hemi Crockes produced with open valve springs.  Put away dad's photo album (RIP dad 9-11-02 age 80) on bikes there are a couple of photos of dad, dad with his dad sitting as well dad with both his parents with dad on his 37 Hemi Crocker.  Dad used to run dry lakes and knew Al Crocker then being stationed at Santa Maria (USAAC). At times on leave instead of heading to the S.F. Bay area home he would head to L.A. and visit Al Crocker and his shop. All this on "borrowed Avgas" with extra containers able to make these long trips out and back on base during WWII when gasoline ration stamps or couponds were issued. This on his Triumph Twin. 

Being still a German citizen until 6-77 (born 4-30-22 Bavaria Germany), ended up lead mechanic on P38's & P51's, dad spent the war in India and China. In China he "borrowed" a Chinese officer's 37 Harley. Repainted in USAAC colors, Avegas available he rode while on leave everywhere. Dad needed his two wheels fix all his life.

Same crap happened to Chris Speier the baseball player who's uncle Alvin Speier lived across the street from me, Alvin born in Berkeley Calif. but German so he spent WWII in North Africa chasing Rummel. We lost Alvin 6-2020 at age 96. Not trusting Germans trained on U.S. aircraft possibly defecting hence those serving during the war in places far away from Germany. 

There might be a slight attraction to bikes in the family, holding at twelve......~~=o&o>...... 

• Like 1