High Speed Loose Sand Suspension

Hi All,

Does anyone have any recommendations for suspension set-up on soft sand at speed? I have an event coming up with average speeds of 60mph up to 130mph in coarse loose sand, it does get a bit whoopy in parts.

In the past I have run the rear with 110 sag 10 clicks out on compression and 3 clicks out on rebound.
Front I run the fork flush with the top of the triple clamp, preload adjuster +6 compression 5 out, rebound 5 out.

2019 Husky FE501

The bikes do get snakey after 60mph

Thanks

2 hours ago, mbw479 said:

Hi All,

Does anyone have any recommendations for suspension set-up on soft sand at speed? I have an event coming up with average speeds of 60mph up to 130mph in coarse loose sand, it does get a bit whoopy in parts.

In the past I have run the rear with 110 sag 10 clicks out on compression and 3 clicks out on rebound.
Front I run the fork flush with the top of the triple clamp, preload adjuster +6 compression 5 out, rebound 5 out.

2019 Husky FE501

The bikes do get snakey after 60mph

Thanks

All your settings is what I would recommend.

Try to go even lower in rear to 120-125 sag.

Edited by skorpan777

I would be very careful giving advice to anyone travelling at over 60 mph on sand , it could lead to a critical situation 

The first thing I thought of was a steering damper 

I assume he means 60kph ?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I grew up on the Oregon Dunes, any plan to travel on sand at over 60 mph you need to have your life insurance paid up and your affairs in order. If this was something you were ready to do, you wouldn't be here asking randos for suspension settings. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Ud-Loos said:

I grew up on the Oregon Dunes, any plan to travel on sand at over 60 mph you need to have your life insurance paid up and your affairs in order. If this was something you were ready to do, you wouldn't be here asking randos for suspension settings. 

Sorry but for some reason this comes to mind. - Marlon Rando - LOL

1500877759_feralkid.jpg.a28e61f9f632dec563e90b352f6bb9ac.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mog said:

I would be very careful giving advice to anyone travelling at over 60 mph on sand , it could lead to a critical situation 

The first thing I thought of was a steering damper 

I assume he means 60kph ?

100kph avg speed, with some going over 160kph....

Yes definetly have a steering damper and steg pegs, see video below for speed reference.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FDonriverdash%2Fposts%2F172231548286665&show_text=true&width=500" width="500" height="409" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

Edited by mbw479

4 hours ago, Ud-Loos said:

The reason I am asking randos is because I have had a couple of people suggest going soft on the rear rebound really. I have always tried to slow the rebound as much as possible, hence the 3 clicks out. I am going to have a practice run this weekend so i'll give it a run a few more clicks out to see what happens.

• Helpful 1

23 minutes ago, mbw479 said:

The reason I am asking randos is because I have had a couple of people suggest going soft on the rear rebound really. I have always tried to slow the rebound as much as possible, hence the 3 clicks out. I am going to have a practice run this weekend so i'll give it a run a few more clicks out to see what happens.

Good luck man, build up to race speed gradually and make adjustments as needed. Be safe, then hang it out. 

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, mbw479 said:

The riding for the most part is good,

That fast stuff though...is really fast. You don't get a second chance if you wad up there.

So whole new argument:

Parabolic vs  standard steering damper for this stuff?

Edited by Turn,TheScrew

1 hour ago, Turn,TheScrew said:

The riding for the most part is good,

That fast stuff though...is really fast. You don't get a second chance if you wad up there.

So whole new argument:

Parabolic vs  standard steering damper for this stuff?

After watching the vid I'd get whatever a truck has, and the rest of the truck to go with it. Bugger stepping off at that speed in the sand.

I reckon a standard damper, by the time the parabolic tries to arrest it (unless it's set real stiff) at that speed, you're eating sand. ambulance.png.bc141d1ed849ca543478d92cd2349bf8.png

Edited by DEATH_INC.

3 hours ago, mbw479 said:

If you think about it, stiff comp and soft rebound makes sense. No small sharp bumps, and the sand itself is soft so absorbs a lot of the initial compression (like a big balloon tyre). Then the same thing with rebound, the wheel is only pushing against soft spongy sand, so there's no real kick like on a hard surface. And with the speed you want fast recovery to be ready for the next bump.

• Helpful 1