High Speed Loose Sand Suspension

• TT Sponsor
12 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

After watching the vid I'd get whatever a truck has, and the rest of the truck to go with it. Bugger stepping off at that speed in the sand.

I reckon a standard damper, by the time the parabolic tries to arrest it (unless it's set real stiff) at that speed, you're eating sand. ambulance.png.bc141d1ed849ca543478d92cd2349bf8.png

The Parabolic steering damper responds very quickly even at a light setting.  Take a look!

• Like 1

Need a relatively fast rebound to avoid packing.  Firm compression helps settle the chassis and keep it up in the stroke.

The majority of sand riding is technique.  Even with the bike dialed in, this sort of high speed riding on a heavy bike over what sounds like Baja type terrain can result in serious crashes and fatal injury.  You'll be rag dolling for a quarter mile if you get off at 120.  No chance of surviving that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, turbo dan said:

Need a relatively fast rebound to avoid packing.  Firm compression helps settle the chassis and keep it up in the stroke.

The majority of sand riding is technique.  Even with the bike dialed in, this sort of high speed riding on a heavy bike over what sounds like Baja type terrain can result in serious crashes and fatal injury.  You'll be rag dolling for a quarter mile if you get off at 120.  No chance of surviving that.

Ok, I have used and hear mostly that slow rebound is what you want in the sand at speed. I will definitely test it out a bit faster this weekend, thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mbw479 said:

Ok, I have used and hear mostly that slow rebound is what you want in the sand at speed. I will definitely test it out a bit faster this weekend, thanks.

You can only do so much with external adjustments.  If the valving is not right its never going to work properly.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

A Husky 501 stock suspension setting will never be stiff or stable enough in stock form for that speed and terrain.  I'd go many steps firmer on compression and probably the rebound too, and get rid of those fork internals too if you want to be safe.  And remember it's going to fade badly too, so if it feels like a brick when you start out it'll probably feel right after a few minutes of use.  As I recall, it's a 46mm shock body or so on something with 60hp...

To top that off, the chassis/ergos on that bike are VERY small and don't lend themselves to stability at those upper speeds.  The FX/XC line from the Austrian bikes are much better suited to that.  By a long shot.