How to remove the pilot jet

Just posting this as a PSA, I read dozens of posts saying that the pilot jet on CRF50 was not removable, but it totally is. I just cleaned mine and completely fixed my nasty hanging idle that would rev high up for 5-10 seconds every time I touched the throttle in neutral. Turns out my idle screw was set way to high, compensating for the clogged pilot jet, and this created the surging behavior.

This video shows the technique to avoid crushing the jet, and it reseats nicely with a little tap: 

Edited by Shawn Blais

11 hours ago, Shawn Blais said:

Just posting this as a PSA, I read dozens of posts saying that the pilot jet on CRF50 was not removable, but it totally is. I just cleaned mine and completely fixed my nasty hanging idle that would rev high up for 5-10 seconds every time I touched the throttle in neutral. Turns out my idle screw was set way to high, compensating for the clogged pilot jet, and this created the surging behavior.

This video shows the technique to avoid crushing the jet, and it reseats nicely with a little tap: 

Put jet in the freezer and it will press back in by hand, no tap needed. I switched to ethanol free gas, changed petcock and cleaned tank. Jet cleaning has come to a hault around here.

• Like 1