how to title out of state no title bike in michigan?

Anyone from Michigan ever title a used out of state bike that was never titled?  

Specifically if a bike was purchased new in TN and never titled, how difficult would it be to buy the same bike and get it titled in michigan?

Done it a few times, pre-covid. Apply for 'lost title'. Usually no problem. Depends on the person helping you. One time, lady was not being helpful, said no. Got right back in line, different teller gave me title no problem...

I thought lost title only worked if it was in the system under your name already? Value of the bike and how it's classified comes into play as well. They don't care what you paid, it's a lokup on their side based on year/make/model. And if it's an off road bike that doesn't say "off road" on the MCO (KTM), then they look at it like a highway vehicle.

Anyway, my experience (a few times) is that it's easy on a cheap old bike. Newer? Need an surity bond, then jump thru rhe hoops at SoS.

I have done it a couple times with dirt bikes I've made street legal. Here is the statement from the MI SOS. 

"Titling ORVs or ATVs for on-road use
Under Michigan law, certain side-by-side off-road utility vehicles may be retitled as an assembled vehicle for on-road use. Vehicles fitting this description include the John Deere "Gator" and Polaris "Ranger." You must follow the secretary of state's standard assembled vehicle title procedure. The vehicle must be retro-fitted with high- and low-beam headlights, brake lights, taillights, turn signals, horn, windshield, windshield wipers and washers, independent parking brake, street-legal tires and all other on-road equipment required by the Michigan Vehicle Code. It will be retitled as an "assembled vehicle" and issued a new vehicle identification number.

NOTE: If the ORV title shows a lienholder, a signed letter from the lienholder authorizing the change to an on-road assembled title is required.  The letter should list the VIN, year and make of the ORV.

Two-wheeled ORVs (motorcycles known as "dirt bikes" or "trail bikes") also can be retitled for on-road use. A vehicle inspection is required to verify that the motorcycle has the required safety equipment."

Here is the link to the "assembled vehicle title procedure" mentioned above. 

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-96435_1587_1588-25476--,00.html

On 9/9/2021 at 8:04 AM, RK-REX said:

I have done it a couple times with dirt bikes I've made street legal. Here is the statement from the MI SOS. 

"Titling ORVs or ATVs for on-road use
Under Michigan law, certain side-by-side off-road utility vehicles may be retitled as an assembled vehicle for on-road use. Vehicles fitting this description include the John Deere "Gator" and Polaris "Ranger." You must follow the secretary of state's standard assembled vehicle title procedure. The vehicle must be retro-fitted with high- and low-beam headlights, brake lights, taillights, turn signals, horn, windshield, windshield wipers and washers, independent parking brake, street-legal tires and all other on-road equipment required by the Michigan Vehicle Code. It will be retitled as an "assembled vehicle" and issued a new vehicle identification number.

NOTE: If the ORV title shows a lienholder, a signed letter from the lienholder authorizing the change to an on-road assembled title is required.  The letter should list the VIN, year and make of the ORV.

Two-wheeled ORVs (motorcycles known as "dirt bikes" or "trail bikes") also can be retitled for on-road use. A vehicle inspection is required to verify that the motorcycle has the required safety equipment."

Here is the link to the "assembled vehicle title procedure" mentioned above. 

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-96435_1587_1588-25476--,00.html

That's all good, but changing a dirt bike title to an on-road title isn't what is being asked. He wants to know how to get a title for a bike purchased without one. 

1 minute ago, RK-REX said:

I would think it is going to be the same process.

Starting with an off road title that proves ownership and changing to a street title is a very different process than not having a title and getting one in your name. 20 years ago it was easier, now a surety bond is needed (unless the bike is more than 10 years old, and worth less than $2500 book value). 

I've been through both processes.