Updated tires

Jjo

I know there’s another tire post already. But it seems like no ones updated it in about 5 years and obviously even though drz’s haven’t changed much over the years tire technology sure has. I’m shopping for tires now and reviews are all over the place. What one person says is great another hates, one says tread last forever another says it’s gone too soon. Obviously bike, rider, and riding style, among a host of other factors play a huge part. Just wanted to see what every ones got on theirs as well as a few questions. I see most guys riding 150’s instead of 140’s. Is this actually an improvement in handling or just because lack of options at the 140 size? As far as guys riding a sport tire do you find it still warms up the same on a lighter bike? An lastly yes I do understand it’s the only thing between you and the ground so please don’t go to crazy on me. But, are the super expensive sport tires over the top seeing as your not taking your bike anywhere near those tires capabilities and your drz isn’t going over 100 mph?

10 hours ago, defdes said:

I don't have them yet, but I am about to order Metzeler MC360 mid-hard for my 400E in 120/100-18 and 80/100-21. I haven't read anything negative about them...yet.

You have no trouble squeezing 100’s on there ?

9 hours ago, 1hp said:

on the WR450 i have Dunlop Q3s. other 2 bikes Shinko 003s. like the Shinkos better.

That’s crazy my tire shop said they won’t even install shinkos! I wonder why they have such a bad rep?

Edited by Jjo

7 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

I'm running Conti TKC 80's on my '18 drz400s. Standard equipment on the KTM EXC's and excellent 50/50 tire IMO. I see no advantage to run a wider rear tire than stock other than for aesthetics.

Heard nothing but good things on those tkc’s and they look pretty cool too

• Like 1

Just replaced Mitas E07 50/50 tires, oversize 140 rear.  Front wore down first after about 6k miles, still some life in the rear.  At recommendation of owner of local dual sport motorcycle shop just installed Pirelli MT21 Rally Cross, returning rear to 120 stock size.  He said he has tested just about all tires and this tire is his top recommendation for light dual sports who want excellent off pavement performance with acceptable performance on the road.  I really like this more off-road oriented tire.  Also, find the 120 rear more responsive to initiating a turn, particularly when standing and weighting the pegs.  On road I'm pleased with the performance and again the smaller rear seems to initiate turns better.  I think there is more vibration but doesn't really bother me.  I'm a pretty conservative rider on the road though, avoid main roads, prefer secondary rural roads to get to my gravel roads and explore.  I actually prefer this tire on road over the E07s, might be because of returning to stock rear width though.  Really like this tire although I expect it will wear much faster.

8 hours ago, adkbiker said:

Just replaced Mitas E07 50/50 tires, oversize 140 rear.

I have two wheel sets, One I run the E07, (120 rear).  This is the set for long distance, tarmac and soft road use. OK in harder packed terrain, not so good on soft trails.  I kind of think that these are the Swiss Army knife of tires.  The other set comprise of the Mitas E-09 on the rear and the ARMY 944 of the front.  Both don't last on the hard top but a much better off road.  The 944 front is especially soft and not particularly speed rated. I'd be interested in your longer term report on handling and wear for the Pirelli Rally Cross.

• Like 1

I mulled over which tyres to replace on my SM for way past the use by date of the old tyres. Modern tyre tech is unreal, so (almost) anything new is a win. That said, I can appreciate that tyres can make or break the look of your bike. That subjective dynamic can cloud your better judgement for their intended usage. Being honest with myself, and how I now use this bike, I couldn’t justify the sizing up or compromise with a tracker semi knobby. I figured lower rotational and unsprung mass was more important to majority road riding (which has become my new normal with Lockdowns now common). 
I went with standard sizing Diablo Corsa III (front and rear) and find the cost well justified. I too was concerned with sports bike tyres on a ‘lighter’ bike but this proved to be an non issue from initial warm up to traction, even in the wet. They provide confidence and I am yet to find their limits commuting and fanging on the SM. 1500km/three months in, wear is unobtrusive but long term testing is still unknown. I don’t expect them to be of touring endurance longevity. My two cents. 

Continental tires have the contimotion, extremely durable, cheap and hold air lol. Comes with roadside warranty also. They can get a little loose the first half mile or so, after that, never slide around on me. I’ve got them on both street bikes and will replace with the same if they ever wear out. 120 front and 150 rear on the 17” sm rims.

I’ve tried the ultra sticky tires too but the fronts cupped and the rears squared off.

Tusk DSport in two words or less "THEY SUCKS" the front wants to wash out in corners. Deep gravel feels like the side knobs want to grab every rock. I've tried tire pressures from 15psi all the way down to 8psi, 10psi seems to work best. I raised the rear sag 10mm and that helped a little still wants to wash out. Longevity yeah I've put more than 1,000 miles on them and they're holding up pretty good. On the other hand the rear is a decent tire seems to push through anything rocks, sand, mud, whatever. Has a very stiff sidewall and likes to run 10 - 12 psi. I may thrash bin the front and keep the rear for it's life. I've been looking at Motoz tractionator enduro s/t or i/t. I really wanted to like the Tusk tires and I've tried everything to make them work for me but they just don't YMMV. 

For going fast on asphalt with a dot tire, conti attack sm evo is a good option. I've used up about 5 sets of these in stock sizes. On the track they stick better than the bike needs them to. Drag pegs anywhere without anything weird happening. I ran Q3+ also but they are hard to get warm. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 5:36 PM, roleyrev said:

I'd be interested in your longer term report on handling and wear for the Pirelli Rally Cross.

I now have 1k miles on the MT21 Rally Cross tires, about 85% on road.  I bought these at the recommendation of the owner of a dual sport motorcycle shop, an avid dual sport rider who's tested many tires.  I did a 280 ride to meet up with him and other dual sport/adventure bikes for a gravel/seasonal road ride.  I also got caught in a down pour on a seasonal road that was already soaked from previous rain and I had a blast.  These roads are unpredictable, often encountering loose sand.  I find myself moving comfortably much faster off pavement with no downside on road beside wear.  I don't notice bothersome vibration or noise although I rarely ride faster than 60mph/100kmh on rural pavement and am not an aggressive rider.  I can feel some vibration at walking speed on pavement, interesting I don't notice it at speed.  I really like these tires compared to the Mitas E07 except the MT21 rear is wearing much faster.  Pic on top is the 1K pic, estimating maybe 2500 mi on this tire, we'll see, but not a deal breaker for my riding. Edit: running recommend tire pressure 18psi front, 22 psi rear.

MT21 1K.jpg

mt21 rear.jpg

Edited by adkbiker
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1