Father/Son PW80 Restoration

crane550

8 hours ago, crane550 said:

Oh, I do have a question. Just found this. What is it? No idea where it came from. Is it the restrictor for the exhaust? It seems like I was looking for that when I took it off, but may have missed it.

1621437077_Screenshot2021-09-13224319.jpg.6be8e62159ee7a5c9f9c2f304507541f.jpg

Looks like a razor blade  :D

• Like 1

First glue it's not a fifty is the monoshock rear suspension.  Good bike and looks like a nice renovation.  You'll now have a $2000 peewee 80.  The kid on the Honda looks related.  Keep him happy and you'll be happy too.

5 hours ago, ThumpaGreg said:

Crane, it looks very much to me like the foam cushion that goes between the throttle handgrip and the throttle cable body to stop binding, although it might be a bit too small. Is it soft, or does it have a metal core?

It's metal. Like a thick washer. I DID find the foam cushion. It was in the pile of "what is this?" Thats one mystery solved.

I think the metal washer goes in the exhaust, but not sure. You can see how it looks like it's made for that spot. Also has the same amount of grease buildup.

image.png.255cff6f4077f8712a7b39a33bdb9da3.png

Working on the exhaust now. All is well, except for one spot where the bolt was broken off inside. I didn't take many pictures, but I tried sawing a slit in for a flat head. Didn't work. Tried the easy out. Didn't work. The screw seems to be pretty much welded in. So I'm going to drill it out and re-tap. As luck has it I have just about every tap known to man except a M5x0.8, so I need to run to my tap guy and get one.

image.png.f41b676aacbb8edf76faabfe628fa0bb.png

I did scrub the expansion chamber and sand blast. It's not ready for paint. Need to stop by and get some exhaust paint at Autozone. Shouldn't take long. All I know is it's way too loud to run without hearing protection.

image.png.5fee613a86738f0078c790265e426421.png

My Bad! The size should have been the giveaway. I took one look and mistook the spooge for foam. Yup, I'm sure you're right that it's the exhaust restrictor to limit power. So that can stay out! And I think there's little else you can do about the exhaust bolt...the damn things get corrosion in there and then they're almost impossible to get out. Is it not a 6 x 1.0mm bolt that broke off? 5 is surprisingly small for a heat shield bolt...on all the bikes I have worked on over the years those bolts have been 6mm. At any rate, when you put it back together don't forget the anti-seize compound to stop it happening again 😉

Looking really good!  

Hopefully the lack of oil wont affect anything, remember the crank bearings will be lubed by the premix!  so wouldn't have wrecked anything else.

I like the colour of the Cerakote! looks very smart

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Curious to what youre going to spray the pipe with

Used this.

https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP102-FlameProof-Coating-Black/dp/B000CPJLGM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=vht+header&qid=1631679678&sr=8-3

Got it locally at an auto parts store. Think I paid $12.00 for it. It's supposed to be baked on. My Cerakote oven only goes to 275, so thats what I did. I have used this stuff before with great results.

4 hours ago, crane550 said:

Used this.

https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP102-FlameProof-Coating-Black/dp/B000CPJLGM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=vht+header&qid=1631679678&sr=8-3

Got it locally at an auto parts store. Think I paid $12.00 for it. It's supposed to be baked on. My Cerakote oven only goes to 275, so thats what I did. I have used this stuff before with great results.

The only header paint ive had any luck with is bbq paint - all the rest seem to peel off from the heat

On 9/15/2021 at 2:29 AM, S.O.A.N.Z said:

The only header paint ive had any luck with is bbq paint - all the rest seem to peel off from the heat

This VHT header paint has treated me pretty well. Except I didn't spray one small spot, so I touched it up and it flaked in that spot. Oh well.

My Cerakote oven only goes to 275, so that's the best I could "cure" it. It looks pretty good. The flaky spot where I touched up is under the fender and doesn't look that bad, fortunately.

I got most of it all buttoned up. When I put the exhaust on it the engine came to life. I figured it wanted some back pressure. The only thing missing is an air filter, which arrives tomorrow. The filter itself was $13, and the whole airbox assembly with a filter was $21, so I just sprang for it. The old one was pretty tore up anyways.

I did let Jr ride around the neighborhood for a bit. He loved it. He stopped by and I looked at the carb, and I could see it was pretty dusty, so we cut off riding until the filter comes.

I did check the auto oiler. I'm not sure what rate it's supposed to drip, but it wasn't often enough for my liking, so added oil to the gas to bring it to a 40:1 mix in the tank, just as a safety. I'm waffling back and forth between removing the oil injector. Haven't decided yet. I think I would just prefer keep it so my kid doesn't have to worry about what gas to use.

Something I have noticed, is it really jerks when you shift into 2nd. Especially on pavement. I'm letting completely off the throttle but it still feels like I'm shifting with it revved up. Peyton says he can't feel it. Maybe it has to do with someone twice the weight of the target audience riding it. Anyone have experience with this?

Not bad for a total of $875.

image.png.113626b8ac889575d8ea43a841ab4f1a.png

8 hours ago, Old Blue said:

Welcome to the site Crane.  Make sure you get your boy some riding gear before you turn him loose on that nicely built machine.  That helmet he is wearing looks like the same one you wore back in the day.:goofy:

Old Blue, you very well might be right. Here's a picture of yours truly circa 1993.

hondafitty.thumb.jpg.1caab7644813cc21a19fb263f91955d2.jpg

I did get Peyton some better gear. Stopped in at Cycle Gear and picked him up a jersey, goggles, a helmet and gloves for $120. I should get him some boots too.

3 hours ago, crane550 said:

Not a chance! It's the only motorcycle I own that I refuse to part with.

LOL! I figured as much. I love the Z50r, my 1st bike was an 82'. Of course I sold it back then..but now I have an 82 and 84', but always looking for another.

• Like 1

Figured no build would be complete without a report of the maiden voyage. Today we took off towards Silver City Idaho, which is a ghost town with a lot of single track trails. Had a great time. My son did very well. It took a bit to get his confidence up, but once he was feeling comfortable on the bike he was cruising. Only had two lay overs, but one was me. Near the end I was trying to keep up with him.

image.png.310f91d3807a52056df3400869e09420.png

image.png.3cad89dc10ab312be6b5a74d497c361c.png

image.png.87bd0cb00c0cd0c1bc275b2c45379c5d.png

The bike performed fantastically, although I must say I can't install a seal to save my everlasting soul from hell.

image.png.4aa8b0beb4cad6d18d072df13b6f3ff5.png