88cr500 head gasket?

So when installing the freshbuilt head from larry W with decompression buttton 

i over torqued it by 10 pounds on each head stud. Could i reuse the head gasket when i retorque it with my new wrench. The engine still has now fluids in it. 

10 minutes ago, Mudder trucker said:

i over torqued it by 10 pounds on each head stud. Could i reuse the head gasket when i retorque it with my new wrench. The engine still has now fluids in it. 

Sorry my spell check doesn,t work . i have not put fluids in it. And have not run it yet. But here where i live a new gasket is expensive. Just asking.

8 hours ago, Mudder trucker said:

Does the '88 have a metal or fiber gasket?

From what I see it's fiber ('87-'88) so you should be able to reuse it if you haven't run it. Actually even then it won't matter, as long as you don't remove the head, just back off the nuts and re-torque them.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 1

you can get a bit more punch out the motor by running the later metal gasket on a 88 model as it tightens up the squish and reduces the CC.  95 octane fuel minimum otherwise it'll detonate.

it'll even reduce vibration. very well worthwhile mod IMHO. 

52 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Time for a new gasket, and to learn how to you a torque wrench....oh yeah!😃

Oh ya! ive been turning wrenchs for 50 yearsMETALHEAD, got the wrong information for torque specs.Thats all.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1