Jump to content

Insurance claim. Me vs shop


whitemike

Recommended Posts

I got in a head on collision in June. Took it to a local shop that I had a good relationship with and also bought the bike from.   It’s was a brand new bike and I was instructed by an insurance employee that if I’m going to file a claim to put everything on there, even the smallest imperfections, because that’s the point of having full coverage.  When I first brought my bike in the owner said we can have this fixed up for probably around 1,000$. 6 weeks later they did my insurance quote and came out to 7,000$ which included labor. It was basically all cosmetic and wiring harnesses:  swing arm, all plastics, handle bars, headlight, radiators etc.  Got the check from insurance and went into the shop and said I just wanted a couple things fixed for now…harness, plastics and headlight.  The cash register worker (part owner) got extremely pissed off.  The adjuster told her how much they were giving me. They were expecting that 6,000$ check and were entitled to it is what it seemed like. Also wouldn’t let me see my bike which was odd.  I said just order me these parts that I want  and left and just got more and more irritated as the day went on about how the situation was handled. I came back later that day with a helper to help me load it and talked to them again.  I said I’m taking my bike but I’ll buy my parts from you. She got extremely upset and said “but our labor was in the quote” and how she was confused.    I talked to the insurance adjuster and they said I can do whatever I want with the bike.  And then she gave me some BS quote if I was going to leave now with the bike, 2500 for the parts you want and 5 hours of labor. Earlier in the day it was 2 hours of labor for them to look over the bike and give an estimate.   The mechanic (other owner) brought me in the back and we went over the bike together and determined what parts I wanted fixed and was told maybe a week tops, cheaper than 2500 but no exact price.  I couldn’t get a price quote from the cashier, she would have to “look it up”, even though earlier she said it was 2500$.   So they just aren’t very organized and can’t get their figures straight. Sorry for the rant, i  feel uncomfortable about the whole situation and used to have a great relationship with the shop, I probably spend 20 grand there in the few years they’ve been open between my bike and all other bike related purchases.  On one hand I think they were expecting to get that 6,000$ check and felt they were entitled to it and that’s making me feel guilty; but on the other hand I will pay them for labor for the insurance quote and was planning on buying all the parts from them.  The insurance company gave me what the shop said it would take to completely repair my bike. At that point it’s completely lately up to me what to do with it.  I might take it to a different shop just because the way they treated me after being one of their best and most loyal customers really pissed me off, as I’m standing there unable to walk on my own.   Am I right to be pissed off about this? What would you do?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The insurance check was made out to you and not to the m/c shop. You can spend your money fixing the bike or not. Fortunately or unfortunately it took this insurance repair incident to find out the real business practice/ethics of your local shop. I would find another shop.   

  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Find another shop. You paid them for an estimate, not for repairs.

If you do the work yourself, you're entitled to get paid for your labor time.

I went through this 20 years ago on a VFR800. Paid shop for an estimate to repair, went to the ins. company, got a check issued, but they issued the check to both me and the shop. Told the shop that I was going to buy some of the parts from them but do the work myself; which means they'd have to endorse the check so I could deposit it. They wouldn't do that, they wanted me to endorse the check, they would cash it, buy all the parts and do all the work. Went back to the ins. co, and had them re-issue the check just to me, and I never set foot in that shop again.

  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, whitemike said:

I got in a head on collision in June. Took it to a local shop that I had a good relationship with and also bought the bike from.   It’s was a brand new bike and I was instructed by an insurance employee that if I’m going to file a claim to put everything on there, even the smallest imperfections, because that’s the point of having full coverage.  When I first brought my bike in the owner said we can have this fixed up for probably around 1,000$. 6 weeks later they did my insurance quote and came out to 7,000$ which included labor. It was basically all cosmetic and wiring harnesses:  swing arm, all plastics, handle bars, headlight, radiators etc.  Got the check from insurance and went into the shop and said I just wanted a couple things fixed for now…harness, plastics and headlight.  The cash register worker (part owner) got extremely pissed off.  The adjuster told her how much they were giving me. They were expecting that 6,000$ check and were entitled to it is what it seemed like. Also wouldn’t let me see my bike which was odd.  I said just order me these parts that I want  and left and just got more and more irritated as the day went on about how the situation was handled. I came back later that day with a helper to help me load it and talked to them again.  I said I’m taking my bike but I’ll buy my parts from you. She got extremely upset and said “but our labor was in the quote” and how she was confused.    I talked to the insurance adjuster and they said I can do whatever I want with the bike.  And then she gave me some BS quote if I was going to leave now with the bike, 2500 for the parts you want and 5 hours of labor. Earlier in the day it was 2 hours of labor for them to look over the bike and give an estimate.   The mechanic (other owner) brought me in the back and we went over the bike together and determined what parts I wanted fixed and was told maybe a week tops, cheaper than 2500 but no exact price.  I couldn’t get a price quote from the cashier, she would have to “look it up”, even though earlier she said it was 2500$.   So they just aren’t very organized and can’t get their figures straight. Sorry for the rant, i  feel uncomfortable about the whole situation and used to have a great relationship with the shop, I probably spend 20 grand there in the few years they’ve been open between my bike and all other bike related purchases.  On one hand I think they were expecting to get that 6,000$ check and felt they were entitled to it and that’s making me feel guilty; but on the other hand I will pay them for labor for the insurance quote and was planning on buying all the parts from them.  The insurance company gave me what the shop said it would take to completely repair my bike. At that point it’s completely lately up to me what to do with it.  I might take it to a different shop just because the way they treated me after being one of their best and most loyal customers really pissed me off, as I’m standing there unable to walk on my own.   Am I right to be pissed off about this? What would you do?

You owe them for an insurance quote and nothing more.  It sounds like they saw a small payday and got butt hurt when you decided to change the plans (not your fault).  I wouldn't buy the parts from them unless they are priced comparably.  If you buy the parts online and do the repair yourself, you'll be pocketing the leftover insurance proceeds that they were planning on pocketing (this seems evident from their $6,000 estimate jump). 

Sure, the economy is tough right now.  But, power sports shops are doing better than others.  Next time get everything in writing.  If they tell you they'd need to "look it up" tell them to email you when they do.  Best to have these kind of agreements in writing. 

Edited by NewEngland400
  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My original plan was to have them fix it. But they didn’t get to it for 6 weeks when they originally told me 2. And now I’ve got medical bills a mile high and I’ve been off work for 3 months and finally able to stand where I can fix it myself.  As David37 said it’s unfortunate that it took a crippling injury to see their true colors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, whitemike said:

My original plan was to have them fix it. But they didn’t get to it for 6 weeks when they originally told me 2. And now I’ve got medical bills a mile high and I’ve been off work for 3 months and finally able to stand where I can fix it myself.  As David37 said it’s unfortunate that it took a crippling injury to see their true colors. 

At the end of the day, thank god you survived a head on collision.  Was it the other guy who crossed over a lane or something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, whitemike said:

My original plan was to have them fix it. But they didn’t get to it for 6 weeks when they originally told me 2. And now I’ve got medical bills a mile high and I’ve been off work for 3 months and finally able to stand where I can fix it myself.  As David37 said it’s unfortunate that it took a crippling injury to see their true colors. 

Walk away, scoundrels! Good luck to you with the healing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After 3 years of giving them business and supporting their shop even when things were cheaper on line, this will be the last time I walk into that shop.   Other shops around town warned that they were extremely shady and I’ve always ignored them but now I see 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, whitemike said:

After 3 years of giving them business and supporting their shop even when things were cheaper on line, this will be the last time I walk into that shop.   Other shops around town warned that they were extremely shady and I’ve always ignored them but now I see 

they should have handle it better.in small town america word of mouth is still strong advertising

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...