400SM with Continental TKC80 Front and Kenda K784 Big Block in the rear on supermoto?

Rip Saw

I want to make my bike more of an offroad bike, maybe 60% dirt 40% road.

I think this setup would look cool but I have no idea what I am doing to be honest when it comes to putting dirt tires sizes on SM wheels.

Someone must have some cool setups? Im looking for tires around 120-130 each.

REAR: Kenda Tire - K784 Big Block - 150/70B17
FRONT: Continental tkc80 120 70 17

Id like my tires to me close to the same style and size front and rear.

What do you guys think?

20210916_172719.jpg

Edited by Rip Saw
  • Like 1

I think the 17" sm wheel set is terrible for off road. You should source a proper 18/21" dirt wheel and knobby tire set. You need the slim 21" front wheel to follow the terrain and steer well in the dirt and mud. 17" wheel set is much better suited for the street and hard packed dirt only and light fire roads.

6 minutes ago, bumtarder said:

I think the 17" sm wheel set is terrible for off road. You should source a proper 18/21" dirt wheel and knobby tire set. You need the slim 21" front wheel to follow the terrain and steer well in the dirt and mud. 17" wheel set is much better suited for the street and hard packed dirt only and light fire roads.

Ive seen people do it on youtube and it looks fine. Normal dirt bike setups are ugly to me. Some people here must have a setup with SM wheels?

When I purchased my SM it had TKC80s on it.  It was a decent trade off for street and dirt.  Eventually the bike was primarily for dirt, that's when I switched to 18/21.

My biggest issue with the 17s was sand.  Small wheel and balloon tires sucked at it.  Now my 17s have some nice street tires for the occasional supermoto track day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nealsmo said:

When I purchased my SM it had TKC80s on it.  It was a decent trade off for street and dirt.  Eventually the bike was primarily for dirt, that's when I switched to 18/21.

My biggest issue with the 17s was sand.  Small wheel and balloon tires sucked at it.  Now my 17s have some nice street tires for the occasional supermoto track day.

Do you know what size they were? I dont have any sand up here in upsate NY.

9 hours ago, Gsm23 said:

I’m using Pirelli MT60’s,haven’t been off road with them yet but better traction on gravel

Those arent aggressive as id like mine but can you tell me what size they are? They look good.

9 minutes ago, Rip Saw said:

Those arent aggressive as id like mine but can you tell me what size they are? They look good.

I ran the recommended sizes of 120/70(f) and 140/70(r).  

3 minutes ago, Nealsmo said:

I ran the recommended sizes of 120/70(f) and 140/70(r).  

My front is that size and my rear is 150/70 I dont think the rating matters much since we dont go over 90 really anyways? 140 is a touch smaller?

Edited by Rip Saw

27 minutes ago, Rip Saw said:

120/70 and a 160/60 

yes they’re not as aggressive but I wanted grip mostly for tarmac with the odd excursion off road 

I have the TKC80s on my SM 17s in 120 and 150, front and rear.  Are they as good as dedicated dirt tires - no.  Are they great for a rider who spends 50% of the time on the road and 50% of the time in the dirt - yes.  In my opinion they are.

Do what you want.  Don't let internet-know-it-alls tell you otherwise.

• Like 2

Besides the Conti TKC80 front, you can get the TKC80 Conti rear in a 140/80-17. It's a slightly higher aspect ratio than the stock tire but I doubt if the size difference would be noticeable. Great 50/50 tires.  Nice color scheme on your SM BTW.

You are going into dirt biking for the looks?  Nobody cares about the looks unless you are just going to ride down to the local coffee shop and be a poser.  It is all about function, looks be damned.  I'm still waiting for the dirtbike groupies I was promised 40 some years ago.

A 17 inch front wheel will suck off road.

Edited by OFS
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, OFS said:

You are going into dirt biking for the looks?  Nobody cares about the looks unless you are just going to ride down to the local coffee shop and be a poser.  It is all about function, looks be damned.  I'm still waiting for the dirtbike groupies I was promised 40 some years ago.

Some of the big bore "Adventure" bike riders may beg to differ. The O.P's gonna put off road tires on his SM, not sell his soul. Yeah, it will suck for single track type riding, but I doubt that's his intention. I had a KTM 950SM and saw pics of them with off road tires on forums. I'd never put them on mine, but the owners in the forums that had them didn't complain.

1 hour ago, OFS said:

Like I said in my original post that you didn't read obviously. 60-40. I like old dirt roads and logging trails. Im a old slow rider.
I ordered the front Conti TKC80 but trying to find a better deal on the Kenda rear. Shinko 805's are a little cheaper but they dont look like they would get as good as grip as the Kenda K784

Edited by Rip Saw

18 hours ago, Rip Saw said:

That bugs you? Let people do what they want 🙂 Im just looking for answers.

9b5da4bbb5cc2e958bd7621469ffe6f0.jpg

ee9e95c2d2cc62a286c732d4233e5f7f.jpg

Shinko 244's
4.60"x17" front and 5.10"x17" rear
Mudsurfer1234_DRZ-400SM_IMG_0714.jpg.15b4b8a145b08680a5a29ff9a3ae06ab.jpg

You are looking for answers and he gave you one, It was just not the answer you wanted to hear.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Iffykid said:

You are looking for answers and he gave you one, It was just not the answer you wanted to hear.

Another dumbass joins the convo and adds nothing to it lmao... I didnt ask to be talked out of it. So what he said was worthless. Forums trolls like you are all the same. Throw your two cents in for no reason what so ever...

Edited by Rip Saw
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rip Saw said:

adds nothing to it lmao

Apparently your opinion is arrogant.

I didnt ask to be talked out of it. So what he said was worthless.

Obviously you have not been talked out of it. For you it may have been worthless, but for other forum users it might well be valuable information that prevents them from making mistakes.  You are not the only forum user.

Forums trolls like you are all the same

Seems like the forum troll is not @Iffykid or @bumtarder Maybe its me 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, roleyrev said:

Apparently your opinion is arrogant.

Obviously you have not been talked out of it. For you it may have been worthless, but for other forum users it might well be valuable information that prevents them from making mistakes.  You are not the only forum user.

Seems like the forum troll is not @Iffykid or @bumtarder Maybe its me 🤷‍♂️

Wow dude, You're hilariously ignorant. lol
What constitutes it to be a mistake? A mistake according to who? A guy thats never tried it and likes to argue on the internet? It might be a perfect idea for some. I didn't ask what he thought about it, I didn't ask for someone to change my mind..

Edited by Rip Saw