16 crf250x for novice

Hi folks, Ive got a "new to me" 16 crf250x for my 14yr old 5'10" 155lb son, who is bored w a 230f.  I have a throttle tamer on the way, will be swapping the front axle out to remove the odo, a cycra stadium plate to replace the headlight, and a applied plug kit for the ccc mod.  Id like to ditch the coolant sub tank as well if its not that important. He currently only rides easy trails and beginner mx tracks.  Open to suggestions for bike set up. (I would have left it stock, but he prefers the moto look, and it may drop a little weight in the process)

Don't do anything to the headlight that isn't easily reversible. It's one of the selling points on this bike and might turn off a buyer if you ever sell it. 

Also, why get rid of the overflow tank? It doesn't hurt being there, and again some people may want it if you ever go to sell it. The overflow tank keeps you from losing coolant if you overheat, so I'm not sure why people get rid of it, otherwise you just dump coolant on the ground instead of capturing it in the tank. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, crashman504 said:

Don't do anything to the headlight that isn't easily reversible. It's one of the selling points on this bike and might turn off a buyer if you ever sell it. 

Also, why get rid of the overflow tank? It doesn't hurt being there, and again some people may want it if you ever go to sell it. The overflow tank keeps you from losing coolant if you overheat, so I'm not sure why people get rid of it, otherwise you just dump coolant on the ground instead of capturing it in the tank. 

Yes, I’m planning on keeping all the parts for reinstalling later. My preference was a detuned crf250r instead of  an x with the added weight.. but I’m told the x is much more friendly. I’ve had 2t,4t never needed a coolant catch tank really, it seems overkill for our weekend strolls, and I’ll likely run a non toxic coolant anyway 

My preference was a detuned crf250r instead of  an x with the added weight.

Not sure what you mean by detuned, but that's basically what an X is.   It's an R motor with the power band shifted down for trail riding, and it adds electric start.

Open to suggestions for bike set up. (I would have left it stock, but he prefers the moto look, and it may drop a little weight in the process)

1. Get the suspension sprung/valved correctly, and make sure the sag is set.   You should be in good shape though, as stock it's sprung for 160lb rider.  

2. Check the jetting.  If it has been re-jetted, get a JD Kit or the proper jets.  From the factory, they are way lean.

3. Make sure the top of the air box is opened up.   You don't have to do as much as the ccc mods bulletin calls for, but you should take off the snorkel and open it up some (some good sized holes in the top, or remove the top of the box).

4. If you want to save some critical weight, replace the battery with a Lithium Ion.  Saves 3-4 lbs, and all that weight is up high.

5. You may want to consider a slip-on exhaust to save a few lbs, but it will be way louder.  

6. I second hanging onto the overflow tank for trail riding.  It's not in the way, doesn't add much weight, and if you do overheat, you get a shot at not walking back.  Really depends though on how much slow/technical stuff you do with it.   Mine's only overflowed a couple times since I bough it ('09).

Jim.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Dettman said:

Not sure what you mean by detuned, but that's basically what an X is.   It's an R motor with the power band shifted down for trail riding, and it adds electric start.

1. Get the suspension sprung/valved correctly, and make sure the sag is set.   You should be in good shape though, as stock it's sprung for 160lb rider.  

2. Check the jetting.  If it has been re-jetted, get a JD Kit or the proper jets.  From the factory, they are way lean.

3. Make sure the top of the air box is opened up.   You don't have to do as much as the ccc mods bulletin calls for, but you should take off the snorkel and open it up some (some good sized holes in the top, or remove the top of the box).

4. If you want to save some critical weight, replace the battery with a Lithium Ion.  Saves 3-4 lbs, and all that weight is up high.

5. You may want to consider a slip-on exhaust to save a few lbs, but it will be way louder.  

6. I second hanging onto the overflow tank for trail riding.  It's not in the way, doesn't add much weight, and if you do overheat, you get a shot at not walking back.  Really depends though on how much slow/technical stuff you do with it.   Mine's only overflowed a couple times since I bough it ('09).

Jim.

Good stuff thanks!-I hadn't thought of the Lithium battery weight... with the "R" detune, I was basically thinking mapping or some other mods that could tame the bike for a novice.  The bike I'd love to build for him would actually be a version of a 125 (somehow with mods to reduce the hit)  but he didn't like the surge of power my 20 yz125 had and was really against the idea of a 2t.  So the next step up from the crf230(if not a 125), seemed to be the 250x.  I was ready to buy a yz250fx and mess with the mapping to tone it down, but got a good deal on this 16 crf250x, in nice shape, and Im looking at a pile of parts that can maybe drop 5-10 lbs? kickstand, odo, lights, battery,  etc and also get the "moto" look he wants with the "X" friendliness until he progresses in skill. 

You can tone down engine throttle response by disconnecting the Throttle Response Sensor (TPS), the connector is behind the right frame spare above the carb.  Rejetting and CCC mods tends to improve throttle response and power so maybe wait. Pink wire disconnect doesn't change anything at trail riding speeds so I suggest leaving it connected. Stock exhaust is good for smooth power and quiet.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chuck. said:

You can tone down engine throttle response by disconnecting the Throttle Response Sensor (TPS), the connector is behind the right frame spare above the carb.  Rejetting and CCC mods tends to improve throttle response and power so maybe wait. Pink wire disconnect doesn't change anything at trail riding speeds so I suggest leaving it connected. Stock exhaust is good for smooth power and quiet.

Will do, thanks.  I may try just a slip on if I can find one that is about same power character as stock but drops a few pounds. somehow I confused ccc with removing the smog equipment, ( I have plugs coming for that)  

Removing the "smog" equipment does nothing for power but does simplify the bike.

Stock muffler may be heavy at 6.5lbs but it works and is quiet. Works so good I put one on my XR200 with a Powroll 218 engine because it provided better power than other mufflers.  I added a down turned tip made from a sink drain trap to reduce the noise another 2-3db. Some States restrict altering exhaust to make more noise than stock.  

• Like 2

With the removal of bash guards on the bars, trip meter, & headlight the front end has lost 4lbs.  I did try to fit a cycra stadium plate, but I ruined it trying to trim it enough to keep the stock upper brake line guide bracket (seems most people running a mx front plate on the "X" get rid of the top brake line guide)  Maybe will try again with a different brand number plate, or just ditch the top guide loop for the brake line like everyone else seems to do?