How Much Effort to Clean Bike After Ride?

Message added by ThumperTalk,

Newbie here.  My question is how much effort do you put into cleaning your bike after a ride?   I come from an aviation background, so I tend to spend a lot of time cleaning/servicing after a trip.  Is this necessary?  Does it hurt the bike to leave the mud on it after a ride?  I see many photos of bikes being sold that are filthy which made me wonder if I am putting too much effort into this process.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

I suppose it depends on what kind of riding you’re actually doing
I want 100% results so I put in 100% Effort?

My riding consists of 3 or sometimes 4 day Moto’s, 6-8 week intervals bikes are muddy and quite dirty.

Takes me about an hour on each bike to get them clean with the hot water pressure washer.

Then it’s in the workshop, Chains, wheels and all the suspension components are removed from the bike for a thorough inspection then re greased, 

Carburettor is removed for a clean out Along with the air filters. 
depending on the hours engine will be removed for a top and refresh.

I like things to work as they should.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I ride everyday, so if the bike is muddy I'll wash it 2 or 3 times a week, but if I've used a liberal coating of SC1, the mud won't stick and it usually just gets dusty after a couple motos. When I do wash, I'm pretty thurough. I'll pull the seat, stock skidplate and shrouds so I can pressure wash both sides of the rads, I have an airbox wash cover so that allows me to get all the grime out of the airbox for a new filter. I'll use soap and scrub everything, otherwise you still end up with this very thin "film" of grime even after washing. I'll blow it dry, including all the bearings, spark plug hole, etc. Then lube the chain, SC1 it, and do all my maintenance things like lube cables, check tires, adjust chain, etc.

• Haha 1

In dry conditions I don't wash at all.  Water is corrosive and loves to get into shit, no reason to pour it all over your bike if it's just dusty.  If you've been riding mud then you need to clean up but I wouldn't use anything more powerful than a garden hose.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 4
  • Haha 1

I’m a scum bag my shops is full of muddy motorcycles. But it really depends on if I’m leading at the track today or if I’m fallowing also depends on the conditions of the dirt. Realistically on time to clean a bike if you just go to a self clean car was I think I clean a bike in about 7-8 minutes. Really the way to go is have a bike rack on your truck or van so you don’t have to unload anything and you can just pull in wash up and bounce out. Again I’m a scum back I don’t unload anything I just was my race bike in the back of my shitty $1000 pickup 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

In dry conditions I don't wash at all.  Water is corrosive and loves to get into shit, no reason to pour it all over your bike if it's just dusty.  If you've been riding mud then you need to clean up but I wouldn't use anything more powerful than a garden hose.

I did an experiment one day to try and debunk the whole "don't use a pressure washer" myth. I have a 3300psi gas unit, and I installed the lazer beam nozzle and went to town on all my linkage bearings. Like blasted the sh!t outta them. Removed my linkage after the bike was dry so that I could service the bearings, and they were great inside. The seals do their job, and keep water out. There was nothing but grease inside.

I feel those who have issues with rusting, it's because the bike was either submerged in mud for awhile, or their seals were worn out. Don't be afraid to use a pressure washer. It cleans much better than a garden hose.

• Like 6
  • Helpful 7

19 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

In dry conditions I don't wash at all.  Water is corrosive and loves to get into shit, no reason to pour it all over your bike if it's just dusty.  If you've been riding mud then you need to clean up but

Ask me how I know you live in a dry climate. 

"I wouldn't use anything more powerful than a garden hose."

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Slick_Nick said:

I did an experiment one day to try and debunk the whole "don't use a pressure washer" myth. I have a 3300psi gas unit, and I installed the lazer beam nozzle and went to town on all my linkage bearings. Like blasted the sh!t outta them. Removed my linkage after the bike was dry so that I could service the bearings, and they were great inside. The seals do their job, and keep water out. There was nothing but grease inside.

I feel those who have issues with rusting, it's because the bike was either submerged in mud for awhile, or their seals were worn out. Don't be afraid to use a pressure washer. It cleans much better than a garden hose.

pReSur wArSh dEEstrOyz yUr BiKe!

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 3

I don't store my shit dirty... Ever... Period....

Some people don't understand the difference between:

"Dirt Bike" 

and 

"Dirty Bike"

Even when I'm done using a chainsaw, it gets the air filter cleaned... chain tightened/ sharpened/ front sprocket greased... Gas and oil topped off...

When you need to run saw at my place , you pick one of the 7... Pull the choke on and pull the rope... Ready to go... As ALL equipment should ALWAYS be...

Anything else is just lame... Lazy ..

• Like 12
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skybolter said:

Newbie here.  My question is how much effort do you put into cleaning your bike after a ride?   I come from an aviation background, so I tend to spend a lot of time cleaning/servicing after a trip.  Is this necessary?  Does it hurt the bike to leave the mud on it after a ride?  I see many photos of bikes being sold that are filthy which made me wonder if I am putting too much effort into this process.

I always think of things like this. If its trashed out after a ride, I stop by a coin op and gently spray off the mud, mud round these parts dries like cement. No bueno mang. A shot of wd 40 keeps it looking good. If its just a dusty ride, a garden hose, some soapy water and a good drying and Wd-40 lubing works great. Dont leave crap on it, it will rust out and the finish will eventually wear off..

• Like 5