KLR600 Modifications

Discuss modifications, parts and upgrades of what seems like a forgotten bike. 

My 1985 KLR 600 Modifications:

Dynojet carb kit 

LED headlight (eBay)

Upgrades subframe bolts (Ace Hardware)

Stainless front brake line (eBay)

Shift lever (Happy Trails)

Moose bark busters (Dennis Kirk)

YSS rear shock (Wirth-federn.de)

On hand waiting to install: 

Thermo bob (Watt-man)

Doo hickey (3d cycles)

Almost four month back order:

Power bomb header and FMF exhaust from procycles.us still waiting...IMG_20211002_010606548.jpg.81ba63de5e0d26664281a4991cfd30a9.jpg

My ‘84 was modified mainly via crash damage from using it as it wasn’t intended.

My current ’03 650 has ‘04 YZ450F forks, IMS 10 gallon fuel tank, Eagle Mike doohickey, oversized radiator, stainless braided brake lines, Tusk coffin sized panniers, and Wheatwhacker fairing modification.

Essentially, it is ugly as &%$#@! but can go over 1000km on a tank of fuel. Sadly, I haven’t ridden it this year because I have been riding my Beta 300s every free moment I have. It is currently sitting on my bike lift with the front end off awaiting a steering stop modification that I should have done two year ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grimlock said:

My ‘84 was modified mainly via crash damage from using it as it wasn’t intended.

My current ’03 650 has ‘04 YZ450F forks, IMS 10 gallon fuel tank, Eagle Mike doohickey, oversized radiator, stainless braided brake lines, Tusk coffin sized panniers, and Wheatwhacker fairing modification.

Essentially, it is ugly as &%$#@! but can go over 1000km on a tank of fuel. Sadly, I haven’t ridden it this year because I have been riding my Beta 300s every free moment I have. It is currently sitting on my bike lift with the front end off awaiting a steering stop modification that I should have done two year ago. 

Photos? Curious, and what happened with the 600? Trying to find parts compatibility between the 650 and other bikes and find resources for the 600. But glad you replied, what's a wheatwaker fairing?

Edited by DakotaKLR600

1 hour ago, DakotaKLR600 said:

Photos? Curious, and what happened with the 600? Trying to find parts compatibility between the 650 and other bikes and find resources for the 600. But glad you replied, what's a wheatwaker fairing?

I have some old pictures of the 600 kicking around somewhere. A lot of them aren’t digital. I bought it back in the 90’s and actually still have it but it is a total basket case. I was going to do a build on it years ago but just never got around to it. Parts availability isn’t the greatest either. There may actually be a thread I started here about it. Never went anywhere though.

The Wheatwhacker mod is a cheap fairing modification that gives a bit better wind protection. This link gives a good guide to it:

https://bearsredneckrant.blogspot.com/2015/08/klr650-wheatwacker-mod.html?m=1

I rode my 600 off-road almost exclusively. I had an idea of what I wanted when I bought it but my idea quickly changed. It wasn’t the right machine for what I was doing at all. In all reality, neither is my 650, hence the modifications to it. With the fork swap it is quite unbalanced at times due to the garbage rear shock. Not sure what I am going to do with it going forward. Cogent Dynamics makes a great shock for the KLR but it is extremely pricey. In hindsight, I probably should have bought a DR650 or a 690/701.

My opinion may change if I rode it more. Last year sucked and this year did too for adventure riding. Hopefully next year will be better and I will have more time to get on it. I put all of my ride time on my Beta 300’s this year and it has been a blast. I’ll be up around 200 hours of dirt riding between my two Betas this year. 

45 minutes ago, Grimlock said:

I have some old pictures of the 600 kicking around somewhere. A lot of them aren’t digital. I bought it back in the 90’s and actually still have it but it is a total basket case. I was going to do a build on it years ago but just never got around to it. Parts availability isn’t the greatest either. There may actually be a thread I started here about it. Never went anywhere though.

The Wheatwhacker mod is a cheap fairing modification that gives a bit better wind protection. This link gives a good guide to it:

https://bearsredneckrant.blogspot.com/2015/08/klr650-wheatwacker-mod.html?m=1

I rode my 600 off-road almost exclusively. I had an idea of what I wanted when I bought it but my idea quickly changed. It wasn’t the right machine for what I was doing at all. In all reality, neither is my 650, hence the modifications to it. With the fork swap it is quite unbalanced at times due to the garbage rear shock. Not sure what I am going to do with it going forward. Cogent Dynamics makes a great shock for the KLR but it is extremely pricey. In hindsight, I probably should have bought a DR650 or a 690/701.

My opinion may change if I rode it more. Last year sucked and this year did too for adventure riding. Hopefully next year will be better and I will have more time to get on it. I put all of my ride time on my Beta 300’s this year and it has been a blast. I’ll be up around 200 hours of dirt riding between my two Betas this year. 

Cool to talk to you, if you are ever in the States let me know! I orginally wanted a DR650, or XL650 the KLR was a heavy trail goldwing in my opinion. Then I found this KLR600, and I liked it! Kind of a basket case at first, low milage but bubba modfied(radio, walmart lights, homemade windshield, exhaust modified with a drill and a hammer I imagine) Slowly but surely I have been bring her back to what it should be. Light trails are fun, rear shock I ordered from Germany was a total game changer. I like the 690/701...but would it be good for how much I want to ride, especially two up(wife)? Who knows??? Tenere T7 seems like where its at, but I don't know, I am happy with the KLR600! I just I wish that was the bike Kawasaki kept making, more of an offroader than a mid-weight adventure bike... The direction of the Gen2/3 doesnt seem like my cup of tea... But I just wanted to find start a thread to share info about the 600, because like you said support just isn't there. Kind of fun to have my own unique bike.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, DrakoLee said:

I've recently bought a KLR600 1994, previous owners took it from UK to China so it's had a life, many miles on it but I absolutely love it. Alot more character than modern stuff. My first big bike, any tips will be great thanks ?

I can help! I had almost given up on this forum!

Did you just swap the bulb? LED lights rarely, if ever work in housings made for incandescents.

JNS Engineering makes a nice full LED headlight setup for the KLR650. I think it will also fit a 600 but it is a pricey upgrade. I haven’t done it yet myself, although I am seriously considering it. I saw a 650 with one installed a few years ago and the illumination was pretty amazing. 

On 11/25/2021 at 4:52 PM, Grimlock said:

Did you just swap the bulb? LED lights rarely, if ever work in housings made for incandescents.

JNS Engineering makes a nice full LED headlight setup for the KLR650. I think it will also fit a 600 but it is a pricey upgrade. I haven’t done it yet myself, although I am seriously considering it. I saw a 650 with one installed a few years ago and the illumination was pretty amazing. 

Just did a bulb, turned out okay, but used a Sylvania bulb from auto parts store and it is unbelievable! I will check out the JNS set up.

• Helpful 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry boyyos, phone wasnt letting me post anything

Not got intentions of swapping the light, seems pretty good still, I think rear shock is already upgraded and also has a big acerbis fuel tank. 

I'm mainly after any owners tips on things to keep an eye on, specifically aimed at KLR600's aside from the usual things, I'll also get some pictures to show sometime soon ?

4 hours ago, DrakoLee said:

Sorry boyyos, phone wasnt letting me post anything

Not got intentions of swapping the light, seems pretty good still, I think rear shock is already upgraded and also has a big acerbis fuel tank. 

I'm mainly after any owners tips on things to keep an eye on, specifically aimed at KLR600's aside from the usual things, I'll also get some pictures to show sometime soon ?

I have a acerbie tank, just haven't put it on.  What do you do with the radiator guards? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...