4 months and $2000 in repairs later and bike still won't run!

Howdy all, 

Very frustrated atm! My 2020 Xtrainer was having issues not long after I bought it (2nd owner under 20hrs). Once in the middle of a ride in second gear it randomly started bogging and stalled and I was unable to start it for a few minutes, then it fired up fine and rest of the ride had no issues. About a month later I stopped the bike and was having trouble starting it in the middle of a ride, eventually got it going and all was good, I assumed was a battery/electronics issue. Not long after I had the bike do the same thing where it bogged down randomly out of nowhere stalled and would not start. This time it wouldn't start at all, had to walk it home. I charged up my battery assuming that was the culprit, and managed to get it started in the garage, only this time it was smoking like no tomorrow and running incredibly rough. I took it for a quick spin and noticed that after 10 mins of riding if I was off the throttle the bike was unable to sit and idle in neutral and would cut out and die. Did this a few times, started it and it sat idling and struggling then would die and cut out, just like an engine would on a very cold day if you took the choke off too early - except this was while warm. 

I knew something wasn't right and the bike ended up going to closest dealer out of town. Due to restrictions around covid I was unable to travel to where the dealer was and it took forever to get the bike there. Eventually did and they diagnosed a main bearing failure ( big concern of mine knowing the history of the Xtrainers). Was all covered under warranty however and the bike eventually had main bearing replaced along with, piston head and cylinder. Again as the dealer was not close by it took a while to get the bike back but I finally got it back this week. The dealer also said they fixed up my carb float height and replaced some fluids, as well as letting me know that they think the battery was a bit flat or possibly bad as it was having trouble starting, they charged it up but if problem continued I would need to replace the battery. No problem at all, I get it home that night and was having trouble starting it. I eventually get it started, so I am thinking all is good and shut it off as I had no time to ride.

I swap the lithium battery out to the lead one it came with when I got the bike the next day, and still had the same issue starting the bike. So today I just went and bought a brand new battery put it in, and yep you guessed it the bike is still struggling to start. I eventually get it to start and it idles for a little bit then cuts out, I get it to start again and seems okay - I rev it out a bit warm it up in neutral, so I jump on the bike to ride it down the road to clean it out a bit - I put it into first travel down my driveway all of 15 metres and the bike starts to bog, and stalls... Then refuses to start. So after 4 months turnaround, over $2000 of repairs I am still sitting here with a bike that hardly starts and when it does cannot idle or be ridden without cutting out! I will obviously be on the phone to the dealer tomorrow, but would like to know if you guys have any ideas of what could be the issue? I posted recently about selling the Xtrainer to get a big bore 4 stroke for dual sporting and some trail rides, that is definitely looking more enticing the longer this bike stays in the garage 😕  Great bike on the trails, but unfortunately have not had as much time on it as I would have liked

• Sad 3

It sounds like you may have a bad ground or a broken wire somewhere in the loom. Betas typically have a large junction of grounds that come together in the wire harness near the steering head, and it's not uncommon for one to break off. Because of the packaging it may continue to ground, but may also intermittently lose ground.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Not related to start up issues, but make sure the green thing under the gas cap is removed, it can create a fuel starvation when running hot, (mostly on 4t's).

Sucks that you are having difficulties, but the $2k number seems like it was all covered under warranty. It could be worse.. A 2nd owner out of warranty being covered would not happen on other brands.

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Not related to start up issues, but make sure the green thing under the gas cap is removed, it can create a fuel starvation when running hot, (mostly on 4t's).

Sucks that you are having difficulties, but the $2k number seems like it was all covered under warranty. It could be worse.. A 2nd owner out of warranty being covered would not happen on other brands.

Yes being covered under warranty has certainly softened the blow, however it is a pretty big issue that is on repeat model years so they have to do something about it. I'm probably more annoyed that the dealer (who were great to deal with) didn't try to start the bike and have it run before giving it the all clear. Had to pay quite a bit in freight to get the bike back as it was out of town and was hard to work around work the last few weeks, so again just pretty frustrated. 

8 hours ago, motoxgiant said:

It sounds like you may have a bad ground or a broken wire somewhere in the loom. Betas typically have a large junction of grounds that come together in the wire harness near the steering head, and it's not uncommon for one to break off. Because of the packaging it may continue to ground, but may also intermittently lose ground.

I'll have a look and see what I find there, would this still be affecting the bike once started though? Had some loom issues with my 390 but it wasn't effecting the bike once running just when trying to start. The italians make some magnificient bikes but might need to think about sourcing their electronics from the land of the rising sun I think!

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

42 minutes ago, bully250f said:

The italians make some magnificient bikes but might need to think about sourcing their electronics from the land of the rising sun I think!

Well said! 

Sorry to hear about your problems.  Very frustrating when all you want to do is just ride the darn things.

Good luck and keep us updated on the bike. 

Well problem solved fellas. Just to be safe drained the petrol as was sitting in it a while. Also found one wire that wasn't looking great, electronics confuse me so no idea what it does put it back where it looked it should go and she's firing right up now. Very minor problem in the end and she's good to go. Pretty happy because I usually suck at this type of stuff. 

Now the question is whether I keep the bush goat or go the big 4 banger to go on some longer rides and still be half decent on trails. Decisions decisions. First decision is an easy one though definitely taking the Xtrainer for a ride after so long waiting! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bully250f said:

Well problem solved fellas. Just to be safe drained the petrol as was sitting in it a while. Also found one wire that wasn't looking great, electronics confuse me so no idea what it does put it back where it looked it should go and she's firing right up now. Very minor problem in the end and she's good to go. Pretty happy because I usually suck at this type of stuff. 

Now the question is whether I keep the bush goat or go the big 4 banger to go on some longer rides and still be half decent on trails. Decisions decisions. First decision is an easy one though definitely taking the Xtrainer for a ride after so long waiting! 

The only sensible answer here is own BOTH. 

• Like 8
  • Helpful 1

21 minutes ago, burntvalves said:

can you two kuhnts go check on our mate @Drop_Bear and see if all is well mates?  

Yeah look I think he lives not far from me but I don't think his mind has coped well with this current lockdown. I'm too scared.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 12:19 PM, Johnny Depp said:

A main bearing failure on a 20 hour bike?

Awesome they covered it but, Really, the Main bearing? Wouldn’t make me really warm / fuzzy regardless who ate the bill that should NOT exist… 

Add  in the fact that the  bike now sounds like it’s doing same/ similar things and I understand your frustration. 
I would bet the main bearing was fine ( dealer got paid for the warranty work) , and it’s an electrical issue as those bikes are sometimes known to have, and if you can find the bad ground you’ll probably never have another issue. Best of luck, hope you can isolate it…

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 502Racing said:

A main bearing failure on a 20 hour bike?

Awesome they covered it but, Really, the Main bearing? Wouldn’t make me really warm / fuzzy regardless who ate the bill that should NOT exist… 

Add  in the fact that the  bike now sounds like it’s doing same/ similar things and I understand your frustration. 
I would bet the main bearing was fine ( dealer got paid for the warranty work) , and it’s an electrical issue as those bikes are sometimes known to have, and if you can find the bad ground you’ll probably never have another issue. Best of luck, hope you can isolate it…

He was able to fix the problem.  Small ground short fixed, new fuel and is on his way with “Smiles for Miles” on the Italian Princess!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

5 hours ago, Dertyone said:

He was able to fix the problem.  Small ground short fixed, new fuel and is on his way with “Smiles for Miles” on the Italian Princess!

Yes, (glad to hear), but I really want to understand if it did, or did not have a bad crank? at such low hours? I was not aware of any such issues currently. 

5 hours ago, 502Racing said:

Yes, (glad to hear), but I really want to understand if it did, or did not have a bad crank? at such low hours? I was not aware of any such issues currently. 

Known issue for a few years. Warranty is 6 months, no hours. Beta has stood behind the bikes years later with this issue. Sucks that it has happened, awesome that Beta takes care of their bikes and owners, even if they aren't the original owner. 

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, 502Racing said:

it's typically the crank bearings not the big end bearing. First appeared in 2018. Beta resolves under warranty if it occurs.

Beta has been outstanding in their warranty and dedication to making sure the owners are taken care of.

On the flip side,  they have been far too slow to address long term,  ongoing problems which, in turn, has forced owners to use the warranty. 

One issue,  personally,  for me, is the hesitation in purchasing a used Beta.  

I've almost pulled the trigger several times on both used Beta 2-strokes and 4-strokes,  but many have fallen under the years with main bearing issue and/or electrical issues. 

That's unfortunate and I really hope Beta takes real steps to address these ongoing problems.  

On a side note, I am always looking at low hour used bikes,  often Beta's,  and I wouldn't hesitate on pre '18 2-strokes and early FI thumpers prior to the electrical issue years.