Need someone who knows their stuff

6 hours ago, 2strokeNMyVeins7075 said:

Okay so I finally made a little video and I have a link .... Just so you can see where I'm at and what I am struggling with ... Please reade the description as it refers to you all... Thank you

(1st) https://youtu.be/YMd6Fgjc5YM

(2nd) https://youtu.be/Lc4O0453Blg

I posted on your first video ill also post here. Your bike wont go into gear without movement on the shift cam which will move the shift forks (inside transmissionarea of cases). So easy way to check it since you have the side clutch covers off. Grab the inner clutch hub and spin it while going threw the gears, that will allow it to shift and watch the front sprocket it will spin also when in gear. Inner clutch hub is always attached to transmission and outer clutch basket is attached to the crank. 

I rebuilt a 96 yz250 about 4 months ago with new crank and bearing. Splitting the cases and doing all that isn't hard just watch youtube videos and have a manual for torque specs. 

Edited by mat1018
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, mat1018 said:

I posted on your first video ill also post here. Your bike wont go into gear without movement on the shift cam which will move the shift forks (inside transmissionarea of cases). So easy way to check it since you have the side clutch covers off. Grab the inner clutch hub and spin it while going threw the gears, that will allow it to shift and watch the front sprocket it will spin also when in gear. Inner clutch hub is always attached to transmission and outer clutch basket is attached to the crank. 

I rebuilt a 96 yz250 about 4 months ago with new crank and bearing. Splitting the cases and doing all that isn't hard just watch youtube videos and have a manual for torque specs. 

Thanks.... Seems I have a long way to go before I can start asking for help on riding techniques and the worst part is there isn't anyone around where I live that I know who rides that I can ride with and observe ... But I been watching Jeremy McGrath, Ricky Carmichael, Kevin Windham and LaRocco ride since I was 9yrs old ... I still have Jeremy McGrath's Supercross '98 for PSX that I play sometimes.... Brings me back when I was just a little boy pretending I was #1 or #4 on my Huffy jumping off the curb lol 

• Like 1

A few comments related to the first video:

1.  The shaft that the shifter goes on pushes in and out because you don't had the RH cover on the engine.  When the cover is on it traps the shaft in place; there will still be a little movement but not very much.

2.  You can't shift through all the gears without either spinning the front sprocket or the clutch hub.

3.  The "clunk" you heard when spinning the clutch hub back and forth is just the from the clearance of the engagement dogs in the trans; that is normal.

4.  If the trans was working correctly before the bike quit, I don't see anything wrong with it now.

5.  I have never heard of a spark plug getting "sucked in" and hitting the piston.  Usually if something got smashed between the piston & head or piston & spark plug it is something that broke in the bottom end - like a big end rod bearing.  The bad news is that you can't always tell what it was, like if it was a piece that broke off the bearing cage for the big end bearing - you can't see it and if it was just one piece of the cage the bearing might still spin smooth and have no play in it.

The real concern is number 5, you need someone with some experience to take a good look at your crankshaft.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 10:26 PM, mat1018 said:

Okay well now when I try to shift gears nothing happens at all... Like not one click and i can only move the lever up when I push down on it there's no movement whatsoever??  I'm so lost right now all the videos I've watched none of them show the problem I'm having 

On 10/14/2021 at 5:43 AM, rwerth said:

A few comments related to the first video:

1.  The shaft that the shifter goes on pushes in and out because you don't had the RH cover on the engine.  When the cover is on it traps the shaft in place; there will still be a little movement but not very much.

2.  You can't shift through all the gears without either spinning the front sprocket or the clutch hub.

3.  The "clunk" you heard when spinning the clutch hub back and forth is just the from the clearance of the engagement dogs in the trans; that is normal.

4.  If the trans was working correctly before the bike quit, I don't see anything wrong with it now.

5.  I have never heard of a spark plug getting "sucked in" and hitting the piston.  Usually if something got smashed between the piston & head or piston & spark plug it is something that broke in the bottom end - like a big end rod bearing.  The bad news is that you can't always tell what it was, like if it was a piece that broke off the bearing cage for the big end bearing - you can't see it and if it was just one piece of the cage the bearing might still spin smooth and have no play in it.

The real concern is number 5, you need someone with some experience to take a good look at your crankshaft.

I'll send you a picture of the spark plug and I'll remove the cylinder head so you can see the piston 

So I cannot find the spark plug that caused the damage but the tab that covers the tip of it is what got smoked and was on top of the old piston and was smacking the bottom of the cylinder head until a piece got to the side of the piston clip and caused it to seize where it did .. this is my new piston and the cylinder had has been smoothened with 400grit paper very finely so there are no rough edges or anything pertruding out anymore 

IMG_20211015_173311440.jpg

IMG_20211015_173303181.jpg

On 10/14/2021 at 2:10 PM, Motox367 said:

You really would benefit from someone showing you hands on. Try to find someone local you can take it to that knows what they're doing. 

I been but I don't really trust half the people that say they know because sad to say they all seem to be on that Meth shit where I live and the ones that do have dirt bikes theirs look 10xs worse than mine and haven't been ridden in years just in pieces and covered in spider webs and dust..... IS THERE ANYONE ON HERE THAT RESIDES CLOSE TO YERINGTON NEVADA? APPROXIMATELY 1 TO 1.5HRS AWAY FROM RENO???

It sounds like there plenty of parts bikes around there then, lol. 

Did you download one of those shop manuals yet??  I really think you can benefit from that and do some reading. Get familiar with it and where you can find the information you need. In your video I saw many threaded holes that look hacked. This one below was near your kick start gear. And two or three on the power valve linkage cover. Not sure what your plan is there. 

26C79F09-24B8-4283-82CA-952E45D50E69.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2strokeNMyVeins7075 said:

Okay well now when I try to shift gears nothing happens at all... Like not one click and i can only move the lever up when I push down on it there's no movement whatsoever??  I'm so lost right now all the videos I've watched none of them show the problem I'm having 

So you can't get the shifter to go down at all even after clicking it up fully? And when your trying to shift your also spinning the front sprocket or the inner clutch hub? If need be make a video of you trying to get it to run through the gears. 

1 hour ago, 2strokeNMyVeins7075 said:

So I cannot find the spark plug that caused the damage but the tab that covers the tip of it is what got smoked and was on top of the old piston and was smacking the bottom of the cylinder head until a piece got to the side of the piston clip and caused it to seize where it did .. this is my new piston and the cylinder had has been smoothened with 400grit paper very finely so there are no rough edges or anything pertruding out anymore 

IMG_20211015_173311440.jpg

IMG_20211015_173303181.jpg

Always on used bikes replace commonly worn parts. Always do a top end and use new gaskets. Allows you to check the crank bearings also. Always replace the spark plug on a used bike. Never know if someone used the right plug or bent the ground/ side electrode(the tip) to many times trying to set the gap.  Which could cause it to crack and break off.

Even bikes people say they just did whole rebuilds on if they can't provide hard proof, I'm doing at least a top end and checking all the commonly worn out parts. Better to be safe then sorry, breaking down miles away from your truck. To many people lie about doing maintenance when selling, everything always has fresh rebuild. But rusted nuts and bolts everywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randy300XC said:

It sounds like there plenty of parts bikes around there then, lol. 

Did you download one of those shop manuals yet??  I really think you can benefit from that and do some reading. Get familiar with it and where you can find the information you need. In your video I saw many threaded holes that look hacked. This one below was near your kick start gear. And two or three on the power valve linkage cover. Not sure what your plan is there. 

26C79F09-24B8-4283-82CA-952E45D50E69.jpeg

Yeah those holes look pretty bad. He might need to drill them to the next size up and put in a helicoil.

1 hour ago, mat1018 said:

Yeah those holes look pretty bad. He might need to drill them to the next size up and put in a helicoil.

Yeah that's how it was when I got this bike but of course I didn't really notice until I got home with it and I didn't have anyone who knows what to look for with me when I got it, and of course the guy didn't mention it... I pulled up and he had the bike on a stand in front the driveway he started it up after a few kicks and I rode it around his cultisack a few times and I just knew I was gonna be taking it home with me ... $2,400 for the '02/'01 yz125 and he gave me the '01 plastics, the '02 bottom end without the crank case which I got an offer of $400 for so that's sold and had a broken/snapped actuator arm just like the '01 I replaced, a chest protector, helmet that's way to big for me, complete upper armor, a box of Lucas oil and some other misc parts that I have no idea if they're any good or not and a ramp to load/unload the bike onto/off the truck.... I felt like that was a good deal and now I'm in over my head with the mechanical stuff but I'm learning a lot everyday just stressful because I still need alot of stuff like a spring for my rear brake lever, washers, spacers, bolts and idk how to extract the broken bolts I've tried using the bits to do it but it just won't grab them to pull out and so I'm guessing I'll have to put high temp silicone or gasket maker to fill the gaps and pray it hold up cuz to buy an Athena Jug is over $300 and I can barely afford to order the spring and misc hardware I need 

1 hour ago, mat1018 said:

Whats a helicoil?

I just want to thank all of you who have given me advice, tips and or shared some knowledge with me.... You've all been so helpful and I'm extremely grateful to have all of you take the time to help me out ... I just wish I could see what I need to do and have everything done the right way but we can't have our cake and eat it too right lol... I will never give up though as I'm determined to learn one way or another and accomplish what I dreamed of doing since I was just 7yrs old ... That picture on the logo/banner of TTs website is what I want to have a picture taken of myself doing... Since I was little I've watched so many videos and seen so many people soar through the air with nothing but the sky and mountains in the backround it's been one of those "I JUST GOTTA DO IT" things and the closest I been to any of that is jumping down a 12 set of stairs on my skateboard but that was when I was 15 and had all the energy and stamina in the world ... I've noticed I've slowed down over the last 16 years and I gotta make my dreams come true now more than ever before it's too late for me! MIND OVER MATTER ALWAYS!

4 minutes ago, Randy300XC said:

A helicoil is a piece that goes into a larger thread and repairs the original hole if your lucky. But you need to have enough material to work with. 

19F1124B-D8D8-47F1-BE07-66B462366138.jpeg

Yeah I don't know if there's enough meat on the pushrod cover to do so ?

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 1:54 AM, 2strokeNMyVeins7075 said:

Thanks.... Seems I have a long way to go before I can start asking for help on riding techniques and the worst part is there isn't anyone around where I live that I know who rides that I can ride with and observe ... But I been watching Jeremy McGrath, Ricky Carmichael, Kevin Windham and LaRocco ride since I was 9yrs old ... I still have Jeremy McGrath's Supercross '98 for PSX that I play sometimes.... Brings me back when I was just a little boy pretending I was #1 or #4 on my Huffy jumping off the curb lol 

There is 

19 minutes ago, 2strokeNMyVeins7075 said:

IMG_20211015_212455648.jpg

IMG_20211015_212449818.jpg

IMG_20211015_212440026.jpg

Is that JB weld? This is crazy. Are u trying to salvage this case?