Boots that are comfortable around the ankle bone

Many years ago I badly broke my right leg and destroyed the ankle in a mx crash. The good news is that the ankle and leg have been working fine after taking one year off to heal up fully. The one issue I do have is my right ankle pivot bone is quite substantially larger than normal and will always be that way. When riding for multiple hours or even days, it starts to get painful from being up against the m/c frame and/or pinched in the Gaerne SG10 boots I currently use. 

I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas on different boots or even ideas on how to lessen the ankle pain I get from this scenario. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

12 minutes ago, nots0much said:

I don't think SG12 are a good idea. That padding makes for a snug and secure fit around the ankle. It will only cause more pain and discomfort in OP's case. 

You'd think that but one of my good buddies has a similarly enlarged ankle from an injury and SG-12's are the only boots he runs.

• Helpful 1

7 hours ago, nots0much said:

I don't think SG12 are a good idea. That padding makes for a snug and secure fit around the ankle. It will only cause more pain and discomfort in OP's case. 

That's exactly what I was thinking, less padding in that area. And then Indy chimes in with real life stories to confuse me even more!! I appreciate it gentlemen!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johnnati said:

I have a problem ankle also, My SG-12s hurt my ankle after a couple of hours due to the way the ankle is padded. I ended up with a pair of Tech 7 Alpinestars that feel awesome all day long. I can tell the Gaerne boots are better built and have a ton of quality, but the Tech 7s just feel better.

I have a plate and 8 screws in ankle.  For about a year after surgery, my Sidis would rub against the head of a screw, rubbing a spot that would bleed, but I guess it took a while for the swelling after surgery to go down.  Those Sidis ended up fine, and my current Tech 7s cause no problems.  Never had any Gaernes.

• Like 2

I am not sure if they are comfortable for days, but my Alpinestar Tech 10s have liners you put on before the boot that act like ankle braces, which is great for me while riding motocross after having a bad ankle injury a few years back, it has definitely saved me from re-injury several times.

• Like 1

Same issue as a lot of people here, just a bigger, more sensitive bitch of a right ankle.  I also have ridiculously wide feet so I went through some Tech 7s and SG 12s trying to find the best fit for me.

I can feel it at first on my SG 12s, and I put up with it because it's not world endingly bad and throughout the day it does seem to lessen.  My Tech 7s though are like a warm pillow hugging the whole foot.  Not as sturdy as the SG 12s, but definitely the more comfortable of the two. Personally I wear the SG12s due to the fact that they definitely are sturdier and nowhere near as stiff walking around.

• Helpful 2

• 1 month later...

I just got a pair of Sidi Crossfire 2 TA's and sent them back as the left boot was wearing a hot spot on the outside of my left ankle. And I haven't had any surgeries or injuries just a normal ankle. I ordered some SG12's so I'll see if they fit better. Just my .02 cents.

4 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

Any real world experience with the Gaerne GX1 boots???

Gaerne-GX-1-red-white_1400x.jpg

I do have experience with the GX-1. A riding buddy bought a pair on sale. Rode with them two or three times and gave them to me. Said they didn’t fit him right. 
They fit me perfectly, but they were painful. I’ll explain. 
For me they were specifically not comfortable around my ankles. I had to leave the boot latches really loose around my ankles so the boot wouldn’t bite into my ankles. This was due to no pivot in the ankle area. The boot created a crease in the ankle area that would push into my ankle bone. 

I gave them to another riding…

I would look at the Gaerne Fastbacks. Very similar to the GX-1, but with pivots in the ankle area. I have them and they are my favorite boot. 
I also have Forma Terrain TX’s. I would look into them as well. They too have pivots and are comfortable at a good price. 

Edited by farmboybunk
  • Helpful 1

6 minutes ago, farmboybunk said:

I do have experience with the GX-1. A riding buddy bought a pair on sale. Rode with them two or three times and gave them to me. Said they didn’t fit him right. 
They fit me perfectly, but they were painful. I’ll explain. 
For me they were specifically not comfortable around my ankles. I had to leave the boot latches really loose around my ankles so the boot wouldn’t bite into my ankles. This was due to no pivot in the ankle area. The boot created a crease in the ankle area that would push into my ankle bone. 

I gave them to another riding…

I would look at the Gaerne Fastbacks. Very similar to the GX-1, but with pivots in the ankle area. I have them and they are my favorite boot. 
I also have Forma Terrain TX’s. I would look into them as well. They too have pivots and are comfortable at a good price. 

I’m concerned about traditional ankle pivots, as that pivot area falls directly on my swollen ankle bone causing pain.

I have a plate and 8 screws in my left ankle.  On the inside knuckle of my ankle you can see bumps where two of the screws are.  My Sidis bothered it a bit, so I wore think socks.  My next boots were A-Star 7s, not near the boot the Sidi is, but they are more comfortable, my complaint with the 7s is that there is no feel to them, have to use shifter and brake based on muscle memory.  I would go back to the Sidis in a heart beat, but just don't ride much anymore to justify spending $500 on boots.  

• Like 1