Boots that are comfortable around the ankle bone

MANIAC998

Many years ago I badly broke my right leg and destroyed the ankle in a mx crash. The good news is that the ankle and leg have been working fine after taking one year off to heal up fully. The one issue I do have is my right ankle pivot bone is quite substantially larger than normal and will always be that way. When riding for multiple hours or even days, it starts to get painful from being up against the m/c frame and/or pinched in the Gaerne SG10 boots I currently use. 

I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas on different boots or even ideas on how to lessen the ankle pain I get from this scenario. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

I don't know about your SG-10's but the SG-12's have some sort of gel padding in the ankle area. It starts off the day kinda firm but as it warms up, it gets soft and molds to fit your foot. If you can't find some local to try out, I have a couple pair (size 10.5 and 11) and you're welcome to try either one. 

• Helpful 2

12 minutes ago, nots0much said:

I don't think SG12 are a good idea. That padding makes for a snug and secure fit around the ankle. It will only cause more pain and discomfort in OP's case. 

You'd think that but one of my good buddies has a similarly enlarged ankle from an injury and SG-12's are the only boots he runs.

• Helpful 1

7 hours ago, nots0much said:

I don't think SG12 are a good idea. That padding makes for a snug and secure fit around the ankle. It will only cause more pain and discomfort in OP's case. 

That's exactly what I was thinking, less padding in that area. And then Indy chimes in with real life stories to confuse me even more!! I appreciate it gentlemen!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johnnati said:

I have a problem ankle also, My SG-12s hurt my ankle after a couple of hours due to the way the ankle is padded. I ended up with a pair of Tech 7 Alpinestars that feel awesome all day long. I can tell the Gaerne boots are better built and have a ton of quality, but the Tech 7s just feel better.

I have a plate and 8 screws in ankle.  For about a year after surgery, my Sidis would rub against the head of a screw, rubbing a spot that would bleed, but I guess it took a while for the swelling after surgery to go down.  Those Sidis ended up fine, and my current Tech 7s cause no problems.  Never had any Gaernes.

• Like 2

Same issue as a lot of people here, just a bigger, more sensitive bitch of a right ankle.  I also have ridiculously wide feet so I went through some Tech 7s and SG 12s trying to find the best fit for me.

I can feel it at first on my SG 12s, and I put up with it because it's not world endingly bad and throughout the day it does seem to lessen.  My Tech 7s though are like a warm pillow hugging the whole foot.  Not as sturdy as the SG 12s, but definitely the more comfortable of the two. Personally I wear the SG12s due to the fact that they definitely are sturdier and nowhere near as stiff walking around.

• Helpful 2