Cheap extra fuel tank

Village

If anyone is wondering about the cheapest Jerry Can on the market, I have just tested this out.

A used omo laundry container.

I just needed a few extra litres of fuel for a recent trip and thought I'd try this out. It works fine.

I ensured it was totally full (used 98 fuel) so there were no issues with fuel expansion. It was a warmish day but the container didn't leak a drop. (It was inside a panier so out of direct sunlight) There is a handy carry handle for straps too. The spout is a bonus and pours fuel without spilling. Better than a bought one!

The plastic didn't change shape, deteriorate or do anything weird.

next test is to see how long this containers lasts for. If it's even just a few uses then it's done its job.

enjoy

IMG_20211013_182649.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Sad 1

Sunny delight bottles strapped to your chest work just fine in Baja. 

Fuel friend still makes some containers with strap indents as well. various sizes made but not yet available. some of the scooter shops have these on stock, as well as amazon and ebay. 1L and 1.5L cans. 

https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/Motorcycle_Fuel_Friend_Canister_Container

• Haha 2

Legally you can't put gas in a laundry detergent container, a smart attendant at a gas station would not allow you to pump fuel into it. The plastic may hold up fine to storing gas in it, but I think it would need to be able to vent some, so I guess you'd need to leave the cap ajar?

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Dmouse said:

Legally you can't put gas in a laundry detergent container, a smart attendant at a gas station would not allow you to pump fuel into it. The plastic may hold up fine to storing gas in it, but I think it would need to be able to vent some, so I guess you'd need to leave the cap ajar?

Smart attendant at a gas station  ?   Kinda like a smart blond ?

LOL......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The only issue with using that large laundry container is it's resistance to spilling or bursting a seam in your pannier and turning your bike into Ghost Riders flamecycle. But if it works then hey use it once or twice and dispose of properly.

I know DS guys have used similar gallon jugs like that to hide fuel on the side of a trail to use on their return trip on an extra long loop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dmouse said:

you have gas station attendants????

• Haha 3

The Trials folks have number plate gas containers that auto siphon into the main tank via the vent hose.  For long rides we have used 1 gallon antifreeze cans that we bungee chord upright on the front fender of the bike. Then run a hose thru the cap to the bottom of the jug, and  to the main tank vent fitting. As you ride the bike will pull gas from the main tank and gas will auto siphon from the jug into the main tank. When the jug is empty you can move it or discard it. 

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chuck. said:

The Trials folks have number plate gas containers that auto siphon into the main tank via the vent hose.  For long rides we have used 1 gallon antifreeze cans that we bungee chord upright on the front fender of the bike. Then run a hose thru the cap to the bottom of the jug, and  to the main tank vent fitting. As you ride the bike will pull gas from the main tank and gas will auto siphon from the jug into the main tank. When the jug is empty you can move it or discard it. 

Acerbis...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brysonrs said:

I really like the 1 liter smartwater bottles because they are slim and easy to fit into a pack or something. Gatorade bottles are good if you want a wider opening that's easier to get the fuel in. 

Agreed, Smartwater bottles don't get soft when carrying gas like other plastic containers do, been using em for years. I would also suggest that the OP get an oversized tank for his ride - one doesn't need to completely fill it for a "typical" ride, but if going for the big mileage ride it sure beats a gallon container of gas flopping around strapped to the bike.

• Like 3