Zuki

I think Suzuki's management is still wounded from the '08 RMZ-450 cracked engine cases, IMHO they really haven't been the same ever since.  Then they built an all new factory in Japan and who knows how that's going...

So yea, the past decade has been hard on Suzuki fans.  I personally owned them for decades including a '08 z450 (with the updated '09 motor) and a '14 z250, I still own a Vstrom 650, but off road now I'm a KTM rider - those new 250xc TPI's are "very" good and would feel similar to any former RM250 rider (they even use the same bar bend ! ).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Same platform or is there any hope/indication of increased development?

Hard to say. That's the bad thing about remaining stagnant. The areas of improvement start to pile up. Before it was just weight/lack of estart. But now the suspension is being left further and further behind, as is the engine (as far as it having that older, chuggy feel, along with overall power output.) If they plan to keep releasing the same basic bike and leave the cost low, then I guess that could be their niche. But that is a risky move, in a sport that is driven by competition. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zig06 said:

I think Suzuki's management is still wounded from the '08 RMZ-450 cracked engine cases, IMHO they really haven't been the same ever since.  Then they built an all new factory in Japan and who knows how that's going...

So yea, the past decade has been hard on Suzuki fans.  I personally owned them for decades including a '08 z450 (with the updated '09 motor) and a '14 z250, I still own a Vstrom 650, but off road now I'm a KTM rider - those new 250xc TPI's are "very" good and would feel similar to any former RM250 rider (they even use the same bar bend ! ).

Suzuki hasn't been the same since the economic collapse in Nov 2008

Edited by MotorBoatin

3 hours ago, ah665 said:

Hard to say. That's the bad thing about remaining stagnant. The areas of improvement start to pile up. Before it was just weight/lack of estart. But now the suspension is being left further and further behind, as is the engine (as far as it having that older, chuggy feel, along with overall power output.) If they plan to keep releasing the same basic bike and leave the cost low, then I guess that could be their niche. But that is a risky move, in a sport that is driven by competition. 

A REAL RISKY MOVE....  a bike that's really not good enough to compete race level, but also very wrong for trial riding.. !   what niche is that ??

29 minutes ago, KABLEXXL said:

I watch all the reviews of bikes, and EVERY year they all complain of the suspension, on all the models. meh.

Yes, suspension is such a personal complaint that I really discount them.  Weight, power type, components and overall construction means the most to me.

39 minutes ago, zig06 said:

Yes, suspension is such a personal complaint that I really discount them.  Weight, power type, components and overall construction means the most to me.

Your local kid would probably not notice any difference in any 250f except the price. 

33 minutes ago, 777654321 said:

Your local kid would probably not notice any difference in any 250f except the price. 

100% correct!, and to take it a little bit farther...

If I was new to dirt bikes, I would buy a z250 (it's a solid bike with no bad habits).

If I was just getting into racing, I would buy a z250 (stock - it's plenty fast for any C rider).

If I was just wanting to play on the trails but occasionally race, I would buy a z250 (the low price is hard is too hard to ignore).

If I didn't care about winning any races, I would buy a z250 (my lack of skill can always be blamed on the bike).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Top selling cars in India:

1) Maruti Suzuki Swift - 97,312 units.

3) Maruti Suzuki Baleno - 93,823 units.

7) Maruti Suzuki Dzire - 61,583 units.

8 Maruti Suzuki Eeco - 56,901 units.

9) Hyundai Grand i10 Nios - 56,286 units.

10) Hyundai Venue - 54,675 units.

Edited by Chaconne
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

Top selling cars in India:

1) Maruti Suzuki Swift - 97,312 units.

3) Maruti Suzuki Baleno - 93,823 units.

7) Maruti Suzuki Dzire - 61,583 units.

8 Maruti Suzuki Eeco - 56,901 units.

9) Hyundai Grand i10 Nios - 56,286 units.

10) Hyundai Venue - 54,675 units.

Suzuki is made up of three separate entities. Auto, motorcycle/ATV and marine

They kick ass (not here) in small cars. Dirt bikes not so much

Edited by MotorBoatin
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, KABLEXXL said:

I watch all the reviews of bikes, and EVERY year they all complain of the suspension, on all the models. meh.

I don't know how anyone can complain about the newer Yami suspension.  It's always been good but somehow it gets slightly better. Unless you are pro speed or way outside the target weight range, set the sag, dial in clickers and forget about it. 

• Like 5

Suspension comes out on some bikes so bad its unusable.   06 KX450F and 2013 CRF450R come to mind.  KX had no rear rebound,  Honda forks felt bad just in the parking lot. Other bikes are great out of the box, so great suspension might be a personal preference but some bikes are just much much better for everyone.  Yamaha always does well. 

Suzuki had a bad reputation for quality BEFORE they had performance issues.  Between Carmichael and Roczens success they had opportunity but chose not to.  Using funding for car development may well have been the better choice for them, but not for us. 

• Like 1

Still have my 17 RMZ450. GREAT bike except for the forks. Stone reliable, and faster than I could ever ride it. Pulled plenty of starts on that bike too...just not enough talent to stay up front. It's bone stock except for an oversized front brake rotor. 

I switched to a YZ250 2t in 2020 though...and I just like 2 strokes better. I finish in the same spot I always do on either bike, I just have more fun doing it on the 2t. 

If I had the forks done on the RMZ, I might ride it more, but I've only pulled it out twice since I bought the YZ. 

If you are just a local MX guy the RMZ's are very capable, and again, they are as reliable as anything else out there. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PB729 said:

Still have my 17 RMZ450. GREAT bike except for the forks. Stone reliable, and faster than I could ever ride it. Pulled plenty of starts on that bike too...just not enough talent to stay up front. It's bone stock except for an oversized front brake rotor. 

I switched to a YZ250 2t in 2020 though...and I just like 2 strokes better. I finish in the same spot I always do on either bike, I just have more fun doing it on the 2t. 

If I had the forks done on the RMZ, I might ride it more, but I've only pulled it out twice since I bought the YZ. 

If you are just a local MX guy the RMZ's are very capable, and again, they are as reliable as anything else out there. 

Can you put your YZ forks on the RMZ to see the difference.  I think some RMZ owners where putting KX rear shocks on the back.