Jump to content

What 250f/r should I buy


Recommended Posts

So I’m 15 and I weight 128 lbs and I’m 5,4 and I’m looking for a new bike, I currently ride a 150RB, and I love it. I am looking for a 250 to buy, now I know with a race bike, you don’t buy a race bike for reliability but I want to know what 250 is the most durable and reliable. 
          I only ride trials and around my farm, I don’t need a lot of power because I don’t race, I want something that is chill and doesn’t throw me off. Send all your suggestions l. I’m currently looking at a crf250x and a yz250fx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Kas_shifflett said:

I’m currently looking at a crf250x and a yz250fx

Good choices but for your usage, consider the WR250F instead of the FX.

Wide-ratio gearbox, lights, quiet stock exhaust of the CRF250X and WR250F are all plusses. 

If looking at used bikes, overall condition / level of upkeep is more important that picking either the red or blue one.

 

CRF250X, some cylinder head issues on very early 04-06 models, 

if the bike is still running all these years later, it was likely upgraded to a newer 07+ head and/or, stainless steel valves.

It's overall design quite a bit outdated, it remained 97% unchanged from 2004 to 2017 but still a very good 'do-it-all' bike.

Has a 5-speed wide-ratio gearbox but a 6th gear would often come in handy.

From my experience owning one for 5 years, the are extremely reliable and durable when properly maintained. 

 

Oppositely the WR250F evolved over the years, later models more refined than the Honda,

having excellent KYB suspension, 6-speed gearbox and fuel injection.

 

 

Edited by mlatour
  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The CRF250X trail/off-road bike was introduced in 2004 and, discontinued in 2017 

(never to be replaced by an equivalent model, the 2018-current CRF250RX is a high strung off-road race bike, practically a motocross)

 

Closely based on the 2004-09 CRF250R, the 250X chassis and engine never evolved any further right up to 2017.

It never got fuel injection. Mechanical changes over the years were limited to an improved design cylinder head and carburetor in 2007 and,

very minor cosmetic alterations like fuel tank capacity and headlight assy. design.

 

Someone that purchased a brand new one in 2017 was in essentially paying 2017 prices for a 2004 bike.

Nevertheless, if it was still in production today but priced realistically (not in the same range as a new WR)

many would still consider it as it's a very good bike.

Somewhat always in demand, they are usually priced higher than comparable year MX race bikes and sell quickly.

 

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you looking for new or used, and what's your budget? I got a KTM 250 XC (2003) a couple months ago and I love it. Runs good, reliable so far, and if the engine dies... it's a 2t and parts are still easy to find.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, glockr said:

Are you looking for new or used, and what's your budget? I got a KTM 250 XC (2003) a couple months ago and I love it. Runs good, reliable so far, and if the engine dies... it's a 2t and parts are still easy to find.

Well, tbh man, I am not a KTM guy, I love my Hondas and would rather stick to what I know, one day when I have lots of money I def want a KTM though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Kas_shifflett said:

Well, tbh man, I am not a KTM guy, I love my Hondas and would rather stick to what I know, one day when I have lots of money I def want a KTM though

For a Honda, if it was me, I'd be looking for a clean XR250.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had two CRF450Xs and currently ride a CRF250X. I absolutely love the bike. They can be had at reasonable prices and often without insane amounts of hours (I got my 2006 with 40 hours on it 6 months ago). Parts are everywhere and reasonably priced, upgrades are plentiful, and the bike is danged reliable. But it will be carbureted. Personally, I don't have an issue with this and while I've had a few EFI bikes which were better in some ways, proper setup and maintenance on a carb goes a long way (and is fun to learn IMO).

I find the 250 to have very approachable and easy power delivery. Suspension is well sorted and easily adaptable depending on your needs. For me at 6'1" and 185 lbs, it is almost more "play bike" than enduro bike which has been fun to mess around with. It's gotten me up some gnarly technical climbs that buddies on 450 bikes struggled with.

No Yamaha experience unfortunately, but WRs definitely have great reviews. I've always "ridden red" so I could sling some mud towards big blue, but I admit that's just my bias :) 

Edited by SantaCruzin
  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I owned a 2011 WR250F and a buddy had a 06 CRF250X that I rode frequently. Both are great bikes. I did prefer the Honda handling. The bikes weigh about the same but the Honda felt 30 pounds lighter on the trail. My WR was set up better because my buddy never did anything to his bike. Stock both bikes need a couple things done to run clean. WR I put a FMF pipe on it, opened up the air box, cut the throttle stop screw and cut the grey wire. Ran much better. The Honda they say you should open the air box and cut the pink wire. My friend didn’t want to do the bike would choke and almost throw you over the bars if you open the throttle too fast. WR did it a bit too until I did the modifications. 
anyway good luck. 

  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, motojunkiedan said:

My friend didn’t want to do the bike would choke and almost throw you over the bars if you open the throttle too fast.

Just a quick note that on my bone-stock CRF250X this never happened. I don't think this is a fault of the bike, but probably a maintenance issue of your buddy's bike. I wouldn't want the OP to get the wrong idea that there's something inherently wrong with these bikes.

My CRF250X is still pretty stock with JD jetting, updated accelerator pump, "smog" delete, a partially cut airbox, and the NoToil filter without the cage. While top end power is lacking on wide open trails, as I said earlier, I've made it up some very steep and technical climbs that friends on more modern 450's struggled on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, SantaCruzin said:

Just a quick note that on my bone-stock CRF250X this never happened. I don't think this is a fault of the bike, but probably a maintenance issue of your buddy's bike. I wouldn't want the OP to get the wrong idea that there's something inherently wrong with these bikes.

My CRF250X is still pretty stock with JD jetting, updated accelerator pump, "smog" delete, a partially cut airbox, and the NoToil filter without the cage. While top end power is lacking on wide open trails, as I said earlier, I've made it up some very steep and technical climbs that friends on more modern 450's struggled on.

My buddy bought two brand new 06 CRF250x’s (one for him one for his son) both did it. You fixed the problem with the jet kit, filter without cage, and smog delete. Accelerator pump must have helped too. 
It is not a big deal and can be fixed for free, but the bike ,stock, does have a problem breathing properly. I’m not bagging on the bike, they are awesome. 
Honda likely knows but did this to get the epa rating for green sticker, Knowing you could fix it easy. 

Edited by motojunkiedan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, motojunkiedan said:

My buddy bought two brand new 06 CRF250x’s (one for him one for his son) both did it. You fixed the problem with the jet kit, filter without cage, and smog delete. Accelerator pump must have helped too. 

No, I meant mine didn't do it before any of those modifications, but you have 2 data points and I have 1...you win :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, SantaCruzin said:

 

No, I meant mine didn't do it before any of those modifications, but you have 2 data points and I have 1...you win 🙂

Just saying the bike is awesome but I think it was designed to get the green sticker and easily reversed. All it did was bog the motor with too much fuel not enough air when you whack the throttle way open. If you were more metered in throttle openings it didn’t do it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...