2022 Honda CRF250R: Impressions after 1-Month

I've have owned my 2022 Honda CRF250R for a little over a month now and have ridden it at a few different motocross tracks, an old school GP style track, and some woods riding.  My thoughts after 1-month:

The Good: 

Great engine with decent low end (not YZ250F level but enough) and strong mid to top power that is quick revving and free feeling with little engine braking.  Map 3 is my favorite

Lightweight agile handling with excellent cornering that makes even an average ride feel like a pro.  This bike sets the bar for "fun to ride" in the 250F class.  Almost 125 2-stroke like agility.

Typical Honda "just feels right" ergonomics.  The seat to footpeg to handlebar relationship is perfect - have not touched a thing though the seat is thin and hard

Strong stoppy level front brake with excellent modulation

Pirelli tires have excellent traction with good carcass compliance and holding up well.

Things to be Improved:

Forks are firm and damping ramps up quickly.  First braking bump is OK but the 2nd and 3rd do not feel as good.  I've ridden a '22 CRF250R fork with 0.46 springs (stock is 0.48), 360cc's of oil (stock is 380cc's), and 4mm of preload (stock is 6mm)....noticeably better fork action and still has decent control at speed.

The chassis has a globally firm feel and could use a little more compliance.  OK for prepped MX tracks but a little too much feedback on choppy trails at slower speeds.  Reducing the torque at the rear axle nut, swingarm, and engine mounting plates to frame joint help soften the overall feel of the chassis.  Perhaps some Works Chassis Lab engine mounts will help.

Overall Honda got the important stuff right.  Excellent cornering and agility with quick and free revving broad power make for a super fun to ride 250F.  With a little more chassis compliance and a tweak to the forks might be about perfect.

AIMG_6995.jpeg.7751250639d25dd227195882ab0bfe7b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

On 10/13/2021 at 9:48 PM, mxengineer4 said:

Forks are firm and damping ramps up quickly.  First braking bump is OK but the 2nd and 3rd do not feel as good.  I've ridden a '22 CRF250R fork with 0.46 springs (stock is 0.48), 360cc's of oil (stock is 380cc's), and 4mm of preload (stock is 6mm)....noticeably better fork action and still has decent control at speed.

How much do you weigh?

Percentage wise, by roughly how much did you lower the torque on the engine mounts, axle and pivot bolts?

(likely something I will experiment on my YZ125 next season)

Edited by mlatour

9 hours ago, mlatour said:

How much do you weigh?

Percentage wise, by roughly how much did you lower the torque on the engine mounts, axle and pivot bolts?

(likely something I will experiment on my YZ125 next season)

I am 190 lbs.  I reduced torque approximately 15% below recommended values.  A subtle change but noticeable.  I do not recommend going below Honda's recommended torques on fasteners and only did it for this ride to see if I could notice a difference.  Kris Keefer has some recommended torque reductions he tested on his 21 CRF450R and chassis is basically identical ( https://www.keeferinctesting.com/motocross-testing/2021/3/30/mods-that-will-make-you-love-your-2021-honda-crf450r-more

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Riding my 2022 CRF250R at Briarcliff MX today and having fun chasing my buddy Nick who is riding a '22 KTM 450SXF. Always fun riding dirt bikes with good friends. I was not comfortable on a few jumps especially with the wind today and a few ruts but Nick was having no issues. The '22 CRF250R was super fun to ride today. The updated '22 CRF250R engine finally has enough low to mid power for a slow Vet rider (like me!) to go along with a super fun mid to top end pull. Plus there is very little engine braking. This engine combined with the awesome cornering, lightweight and agile handling peg the "Fun to Ride" meter! Ride Red!

IMG_7059.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Got to ride my buddy Dave and his son JD's '22 Honda CRF250R with a full re-valve by TBT Racing Ohio (Brad Buckner, Monkey Wrench MX/TBT Racing Ohio  https://www.monkeywrenchmx.com ) Dave (50 year old Vet rider) and his son JD (17 year old fast kid) loved the engine, cornering, handling, and ergos on their new '22 Honda CRF250R but wanted more comfort out of the suspension (mostly the forks). The stock CRF setting had great hold up and bottoming resistance but felt too stiff (mostly on braking bumps) and gave the bike an unsettled feel on hard pack tracks. Dave and JD also have a '22 YZ250F and really like the plush yet controlled feel of the KYB suspension on the Yamaha. Brad Buckner worked with TBT Racing to come up with a valving spec that resulted in much better action on the forks getting rid of the mid stroke wall of damping on the stock CRF fork setting. There is more chassis pitch forward under braking (they went from a 48 N/mm spring down to a 46 N/mm spring) but mid stroke harshness felt on braking bumps is pretty much gone. Brad made some small changes to the shock valving and kept the stock 5.0kg/mm spring. The TBT setting helps the bike feel more planted and less busy on the little choppy bumps yet still firms up on the bigger inputs. While not quite as overall plush as the KYB suspension on the 22 YZ250F the updated CRF suspension is a noticeable improvement. Dave and JD still need to get to a full on motocross track with big jumps to fully confirm the TBT Racing Ohio settings but first impressions are very good and make what is perhaps the most fun to ride 250F even better!

20211105_115032.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/18/2021 at 9:50 PM, mxengineer4 said:

Got to ride my buddy Dave and his son JD's '22 Honda CRF250R with a full re-valve by TBT Racing Ohio (Brad Buckner, Monkey Wrench MX/TBT Racing Ohio  https://www.monkeywrenchmx.com ) Dave (50 year old Vet rider) and his son JD (17 year old fast kid) loved the engine, cornering, handling, and ergos on their new '22 Honda CRF250R but wanted more comfort out of the suspension (mostly the forks). The stock CRF setting had great hold up and bottoming resistance but felt too stiff (mostly on braking bumps) and gave the bike an unsettled feel on hard pack tracks. Dave and JD also have a '22 YZ250F and really like the plush yet controlled feel of the KYB suspension on the Yamaha. Brad Buckner worked with TBT Racing to come up with a valving spec that resulted in much better action on the forks getting rid of the mid stroke wall of damping on the stock CRF fork setting. There is more chassis pitch forward under braking (they went from a 48 N/mm spring down to a 46 N/mm spring) but mid stroke harshness felt on braking bumps is pretty much gone. Brad made some small changes to the shock valving and kept the stock 5.0kg/mm spring. The TBT setting helps the bike feel more planted and less busy on the little choppy bumps yet still firms up on the bigger inputs. While not quite as overall plush as the KYB suspension on the 22 YZ250F the updated CRF suspension is a noticeable improvement. Dave and JD still need to get to a full on motocross track with big jumps to fully confirm the TBT Racing Ohio settings but first impressions are very good and make what is perhaps the most fun to ride 250F even better!

20211105_115032.jpeg

Great info with those videos, thanks. For my needs the RX looks like the best choice.

• 3 months later...

I did some woods riding on my '22 CRF250R.  The broad power, quick/agile handling, great cornering, and Fun to Ride characteristics that work so well on the MX track work great in the woods too.  The suspension and chassis needs a bit more compliance for woods riding but from what I've seen dialing in the forks can help a lot.  

• Like 1