Jump to content

Is this Suzuki worth it?


Recommended Posts

I have been looking at an RM250 2005, it has had a full rebuild and so on apparently.

 

Looks good to me, but don’t know, same guy is selling a clean KX250 ‘06.

 

He’s asking for 3300 euro and in Ireland bikes are just expensive. Are older bikes like this worth it? It still has a plethra of parts but maybe someone knows better than me because my knowledge isn’t the best.9FC26E7F-7D36-4A4C-A8BE-4A0DD610CF62.thumb.jpeg.1d21e574ae9e9e15275c3f28ac9abf4f.jpeg060FE2FE-EC0A-4F8B-969B-118DAFF71985.thumb.jpeg.41b0d9a90c9572f0b262d99a8d0d4cec.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First off it's not an 05. I had to double check myself. It's an 01 / 02 leaning more towards 02. Cylinder and head are the 01/2 setup. Rubber boot from the carb to Airboot is the 01/2 design. 

It has the kyb suspension another 01/02 give away. 04 n up have showa with gold anodizing on the upper fork tubes. 

Second that bike is well used that's had a plastic and graphics kit thrown on to make it look better. It's in decent shape not great. 

Not worth 3300 euro roughly 3800 usd. Maybe and that be pushing it it's worth like 2500 euro max to me. 

Then add in the fact that just about every year. Suzuki was changing things around cylinder power valve etc. Which makes it more difficult to find spares. 

You'd be way better off trying to find at minimum a 03 or newer especially 06 n newer yz250. Loads more parts n spares around for them. Especially since Yamaha hasn't changed the engine since 03 and it's been the same thing on the newer ones all the way up to 22. Same with chassis parts. 

I'd walk and find a used yz250 preferably one with the aluminum frame. 

Edited by SmokinJoe
  • Like 5
  • Helpful 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, SmokinJoe said:

First off it's not an 05. I had to double check myself. It's an 01 / 02 leaning more towards 02. Cylinder and head are the 01/2 setup. Rubber boot from the carb to Airboot is the 01/2 design. 

It has the kyb suspension another 01/02 give away. 04 n up have showa with gold anodizing on the upper fork tubes. 

Second that bike is well used that's had a plastic and graphics kit thrown on to make it look better. It's in decent shape not great. 

Not worth 3300 euro roughly 3800 usd. Maybe and that be pushing it it's worth like 2500 euro max to me. 

Then add in the fact that just about every year. Suzuki was changing things around cylinder power valve etc. Which makes it more difficult to find spares. 

You'd be way better off trying to find at minimum a 03 or newer especially 06 n newer yz250. Loads more parts n spares around for them. Especially since Yamaha hasn't changed the engine since 03 and it's been the same thing on the newer ones all the way up to 22. Same with chassis parts. 

I'd walk and find a used yz250 preferably one with the aluminum frame. 

Thanks man. This is exactly why I ask. Good to know guy wasn’t putting the true years. There’s an ‘07 YZ for sale and a ‘15 TC250. I will look at those instead. Big thanks 👊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, SmokinJoe said:

First off it's not an 05. I had to double check myself. It's an 01 / 02 leaning more towards 02. Cylinder and head are the 01/2 setup. Rubber boot from the carb to Airboot is the 01/2 design. 

It has the kyb suspension another 01/02 give away. 04 n up have showa with gold anodizing on the upper fork tubes. 

Second that bike is well used that's had a plastic and graphics kit thrown on to make it look better. It's in decent shape not great. 

Not worth 3300 euro roughly 3800 usd. Maybe and that be pushing it it's worth like 2500 euro max to me. 

Then add in the fact that just about every year. Suzuki was changing things around cylinder power valve etc. Which makes it more difficult to find spares. 

You'd be way better off trying to find at minimum a 03 or newer especially 06 n newer yz250. Loads more parts n spares around for them. Especially since Yamaha hasn't changed the engine since 03 and it's been the same thing on the newer ones all the way up to 22. Same with chassis parts. 

I'd walk and find a used yz250 preferably one with the aluminum frame. 

Also, since you seem to understand much better than me, how does this ‘07 YZ look? I’d appreciate it if you had a look at it, guy’s asking for a lot though, but I could get it down.

 

It seems used to bits though….

 

 

 

96073E4F-784F-435C-A0BD-2541B010D245.png

D8DEBEFD-C56F-41EC-9C7A-29A8299A128A.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nissan_ said:

Also, since you seem to understand much better than me, how does this ‘07 YZ look? I’d appreciate it if you had a look at it, guy’s asking for a lot though, but I could get it down.

 

It seems used to bits though….

 

 

 

96073E4F-784F-435C-A0BD-2541B010D245.png

D8DEBEFD-C56F-41EC-9C7A-29A8299A128A.png

Yea I'd pass on that too. I'd ask him why it has the front end off an older yz on it. That's a huge negative because it's not the newer style kyb sss forks it's supposed to have. That the newer bikes have which is a huge red flag. Not only because they swapped it out but it's a big down grade. What else they cut corners on. Not worth what they are asking. 

Edited by SmokinJoe
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SmokinJoe said:

Yea I'd pass on that too. I'd ask him why it has the front end off an older yz on it. That's a huge negative because it's not the newer style kyb sss forks it's supposed to have. That the newer bikes have which is a huge red flag. Not only because they swapped it out but it's a big down grade. What else they cut corners on. Not worth what they are asking. 

Thanks for the help, man. I really don’t know this type of stuff. 
 

I’m constantly looking at bikes, but I’m seriously going to be looking deep into these things.

 

I’m sorry to keel spamming the thread lol but I gotta ask you about this one, it’s claiming to be an ‘07 with an FMF pipe basically.

 

 

0640650C-1BFF-4D09-A523-C879D4D949F3.png

59653ED0-0166-4388-A26A-BEAF02405CD4.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nissan_ said:

Thanks for the help, man. I really don’t know this type of stuff. 
 

I’m constantly looking at bikes, but I’m seriously going to be looking deep into these things.

 

I’m sorry to keel spamming the thread lol but I gotta ask you about this one, it’s claiming to be an ‘07 with an FMF pipe basically.

 

 

0640650C-1BFF-4D09-A523-C879D4D949F3.png

59653ED0-0166-4388-A26A-BEAF02405CD4.jpeg

Looks like someone painted the frame not sure on the engine like condition it is in. Does not look to bad what is the price on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ar2stroke said:

Looks like someone painted the frame not sure on the engine like condition it is in. Does not look to bad what is the price on it.

If the frame is painted it’s fine. Guy wants 3300 for it. 10 hours since rebuild basically. Now, in Ireland, that’s an OK price but here bikes are over the moon in cost it’s absurd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you have a check list of what to look for like how tight is the rear suspension and swing arm bushings do they look dry how much movement there is and if there’s lots replacement parts can add up quickly, unless it has a hour meter and even that can be installed at any point I would never trust a seller on the amount of hours since the last top end, bottom end if the bike checks out good and you are serious about buying it ask the owner if he’s ok with you removing the exhaust pipe springs and  pulling the pipe aside so you can shine a flashlight up into the exhaust port so you can seek what the piston looks like and doing a compression test as well, there’s lots of good videos on YouTube and articles on the internet about checking a bike over, I would write or print off if you can find one a check list that way you don’t get side tracked and miss items that you should check, good luck with your search

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nissan_ said:

If the frame is painted it’s fine. Guy wants 3300 for it. 10 hours since rebuild basically. Now, in Ireland, that’s an OK price but here bikes are over the moon in cost it’s absurd.

Agree on the frame just noting it, but used bikes are very high priced and most likely may not go down due to can't get new ones.

I got a 2004 RM250 and most parts are available that might change with the current situation tho.

I would look it over very good - I like Suzuki RM250s wish they still made them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, flatslide said:

Do you have a check list of what to look for like how tight is the rear suspension and swing arm bushings do they look dry how much movement there is and if there’s lots replacement parts can add up quickly, unless it has a hour meter and even that can be installed at any point I would never trust a seller on the amount of hours since the last top end, bottom end if the bike checks out good and you are serious about buying it ask the owner if he’s ok with you removing the exhaust pipe springs and  pulling the pipe aside so you can shine a flashlight up into the exhaust port so you can seek what the piston looks like and doing a compression test as well, there’s lots of good videos on YouTube and articles on the internet about checking a bike over, I would write or print off if you can find one a check list that way you don’t get side tracked and miss items that you should check, good luck with your search

 

He apparently did a comp test it came back to 200 psi, I could test it there. I’m also a shite mechanic so I probably wouldn’t start taking things off, especially on something that isn’t mine yet, as well as most people don’t trust that.

 

Since the other bike I wanted was 4000, I would have money left over to fill any void for any needed parts I suppose.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ar2stroke said:

Agree on the frame just noting it, but used bikes are very high priced and most likely may not go down due to can't get new ones.

I got a 2004 RM250 and most parts are available that might change with the current situation tho.

I would look it over very good - I like Suzuki RM250s wish they still made them.

I’ll do my best. Again, it comes down to the feel of bike too. This would be my first 250 coming off a 125 as I need more power in general. 
 

There’s nothing like riding an older bike like an RM to the track, it wouldn’t be the same on a KTM/HUSKY.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TX-SANDMAN said:

Hard pass on the RM.  Find a 1999 or newer yz250 two stroke…. Then get some 05 + forks and be a happy rider.  Parts are easy to find and engine, suspension and wheels  are swappable even to current years.

I don’t like Yamaha. I don’t know why, I owned a Yamaha before and it left a bad taste in my mouth so I don’t want another one, only if I’m going four stroke or a really good deal pops up for a YZ250. Funny thing is, most YZ250s that are 5-6 years older than this RM are the same price or more — not worth it.

 

I had a look for parts and you can still find nearly all the parts for it, and these bikes are going to go up in value if kept in good condition. I don’t have a problem with putting more money into a bike like this, there’s nothing like riding an RM, they sound the best, they feel great and in my opinion they also look the best. As much as that shouldn’t be important to me — it is. I really want to feel happy on a bike and ever since I started riding I’ve always wanted an RM. There is also a TC250 in my area which is the best deal and probably better than the RM but riding that won’t put as big of a smile on my face as the RM would. I’m not in a rush to grab a bike so I can simply keep waiting for more deals. Transmission on RMs is ass from what I’ve heard but it is what it is and there is nothing in life that can’t be fixed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Door number two with the 06 kx250 or door number three with the 15 tc250. Not sure why you would rather ride an RM 250 versus the TC 250? I’m sure the TC would make you quite happy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gay-Bear-OZ said:

Door number two with the 06 kx250 or door number three with the 15 tc250. Not sure why you would rather ride an RM 250 versus the TC 250? I’m sure the TC would make you quite happy.

Na, that TC that’s for sale looks odd as shit, I don’t like it. Unless a newer one goes up because there is literally 1 for sale in the entire country lol.

 

The RM is an RM bro, you might pay more in the long run but it just feels right to ride it. 
 

Only time will tell what I’ll be buying because these bikes come and go.

1 hour ago, kevinedwards2014@outlook.c said:

You come across dreamers from time to time. That black Suzuki 1800 / 2000 euro s

Yeah man, that thing is shit tbh, looks a bit clapped ngl not worth nowhere near 3000 let alone 3300.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guy dropped the price on the 2015 TC to 3500 euro but it should sell soon. Most of these bikes stay up for months for some reason, not even because they’re bad, just a bit overpriced and lack of people doing the sport in Ireland.

 

TC looks like this if you’re wondering:

B043DCA8-3108-4298-9697-810D9EA64DF7.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nissan_ said:

Guy dropped the price on the 2015 TC to 3500 euro but it should sell soon. Most of these bikes stay up for months for some reason, not even because they’re bad, just a bit overpriced and lack of people doing the sport in Ireland.

 

TC looks like this if you’re wondering:

B043DCA8-3108-4298-9697-810D9EA64DF7.png

That husky looks like it's pretty good shape and overall better condition than any of the other bikes you've shown us. That kx included. Kx looks OK but it's like the RM and priced about the same. 

The kx like the rm was only made for a couple years. Compared with that husky. Lacks aftermarket parts support these days. It didn't get much love originally from the aftermarket. 

Some people complain that the kx was hard to ride. Was like a big 125. It wasn't a popular bike when brand new. 

I would go with the husky. It's newer lots more aftermarket parts available for it. Something breaks will be easier to find parts for it. The engine is great. Got great handling better brakes. Overall life / ownership would be easier with the husky in just about every way. 

The kx n rm are over priced and a good 6 to 8 years older. So far the husky is the best one. 

Why the hell the mods moved this to the rmz section?? Maybe should have put it under the what bike I should buy area. 🤔 

Edited by SmokinJoe
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

×
×
  • Create New...