Best years for YZ125?

3 hours ago, Nissan_ said:

Looking at some YZ125s. What years would be recommended. A few 2007s and 2009s in my country for sale. I’d personally want something newer but not sure.

Are ones that old worth it?

Can’t go wrong with 07 or 09,  pick the one in the best condition.

From 2005 to 2021, the YZ125 is practically unchanged mechanically, here's the rundown:

-re-designed engine and new aluminum chassis introduced for the 2005 model year

-switch from the one year only (2005) KYB AOSS forks to KYB AOS 'SSS' forks in 2006, excellent forks still currently used on many bikes

-small improvements in the front brake (caliper) and waved rotors added around 2008

-to be confirmed but at least up to 2010, it came with a Titanium shock spring rather than steel (debatable if it offered any gains)

-switch to the longer 'world spec' silencer in 2011 on north american models (also moving the power curve up ever so slightly)

-re-styled bodywork for model year 2015, mostly backwards compatible with earlier model years with the exception of side panels 

-larger front brake rotor in 2017

Of course, graphics and a few color scheme changes over the years, white rear fender (2013-14), silver, black, blue wheels etc.

Aside from some front brake performance,

engine and suspension wise a well maintained and 'fresh' 2007-2009 is at no disadvantage versus a 2021.

The 2022 model year has substantial engine and bodywork re-designs/updates but

the chassis and *suspension are basically the same as a 2006.   

*fork internals updated to YZ-F design leaf spring type mid-valve

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 3

Thanks for the info. I definitely want something at least 2007. That’s the bare minimum for me. 

The only reason I’m interested in a YZ is because they still make parts for them and they seem reliable.

Here is a pic of the ‘09. Also the guy wants less for the ‘09 than the ‘07.F21E777E-6915-47B8-8F60-08076CDEBBFB.jpeg.1d0aba50107fc2fecaf20cfd2c541db2.jpeg

Here is a pic of the ‘07. I’m not too good at telling bikes apart yet and I’m sure there are guys who know much better than I do.0D527ADC-E0E9-4E45-A34E-3EBD7F4EF0C9.jpeg.5a7b5931d1344d72d5f767527cd44a20.jpegEED43A90-CD84-489D-8AC8-F614565D55D7.jpeg.8da452c09bd8c38150f89680f60876ef.jpeg

1 hour ago, ss-racing66 said:

The 2005+  Is the newer engine and aluminum frame….. and yes, get a good cylinder head 

If I buy one of these, I’ll try to re do the top end once I get it. They’re not that expensive. I am a shit mechanic so not sure if I want to try do it myself. 

The ‘09 is 3000 but could probably get it for as low as 2800 and slap on some graphics and give it a clean up. That bike looks good. 

8 minutes ago, Nissan_ said:

If I buy one of these, I’ll try to re do the top end once I get it. They’re not that expensive. I am a shit mechanic so not sure if I want to try do it myself. 

The ‘09 is 3000 but could probably get it for as low as 2800 and slap on some graphics and give it a clean up. That bike looks good. 

If it were me, id be assuming it needs a piston, rings, crank, maybe a cylinder, clutch hub and basket , chain and sprockets, brake pads, suspension and steering bearings, and fork and shock overhaul  too 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ss-racing66 said:

If it were me, id be assuming it needs a piston, rings, crank, maybe a cylinder, clutch hub and basket , chain and sprockets, brake pads, suspension and steering bearings, and fork and shock overhaul  too 

That’s very costly. It looks fine just looks ridden a bit to me. I do want suspension re done for me. 

Shiite, from just the pics, they both look fine.   I would buy the one that gave me the best deal, and pay a savvy experienced adult rider $50 to go with me to test ride it.  Whether or not you choose to ride at your local track or not, that is the place you can meet someone like me or these other TT'ers that will be glad to take you under their wing and guide you on this dirty journey.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Hard to tell by those pics but make sure either bike has not had their preferable 2006-current AOS 'SSS' forks replaced by 2005 AOSS versions.

image.png.b1c1a323f3cff9ebdfc34c23dbc7b3ad.png

I will ask for more pictures and will make sure that they haven’t been replaced.  Guy said he got his rear shock re done at a shop.

37 minutes ago, txkawboy said:

Shiite, from just the pics, they both look fine.   I would buy the one that gave me the best deal, and pay a savvy experienced adult rider $50 to go with me to test ride it.  Whether or not you choose to ride at your local track or not, that is the place you can meet someone like me or these other TT'ers that will be glad to take you under their wing and guide you on this dirty journey.

The ‘09 is the best deal and I’ll do my best to get into a club so I can really improve. I learn mainly from youtube and so on, and I would just build up confidence etc. I don’t know anyone who rides sadly😭

double check the vin on the 09 if you buy it. 10th digit should be a 9.  Only reason I say that is because it has wheels or brake rotors from an older than 2008 yz 125. Don't let mlatour fool you, the AOSS forks are still really good forks. Im pretty sure they are on my 09 and can not complain

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

For trail / off-road riding, a steel frame would actually be preferable over an aluminum chassis

as it's said to offer better flex characteristic for compliancy and front end / tire 'feel'.

Pre-2005 model year open chamber forks as well are usually regarded as better suited for trail/off-road,

easier to make plush than closed chamber forks designed to absorb the massive hits of motocross.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mlatour said:

For trail / off-road riding, a steel frame would actually be preferable than an aluminum chassis

said to offer better flex characteristic for compliancy and front end / tire 'feel'.

Pre-2005 model year open chamber forks as well are usually regarded as better suited for trail/off-road,

easier to make plush than closed chamber forks designed to absorb the massive hits of motocross.

I need it to have the SSS forks which are on 2006 up as I’m trying to make sure it has good part availability. If I do get this bike, I will make sure it has those if not, I won’t buy it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yz j said:

double check the vin on the 09 if you buy it. 10th digit should be a 9.  Only reason I say that is because it has wheels or brake rotors from an older than 2008 yz 125. 

Good catch! 👍

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mlatour said:

Hard to tell by those pics but make sure either bike has not had their preferable 2006-current AOS 'SSS' forks replaced by 2005 AOSS versions.

image.png.b1c1a323f3cff9ebdfc34c23dbc7b3ad.png

I think you’re right, it doesn’t look like either bike has the SSS forks. Definitely worth double checking

• Like 1