How do you feel about "Rider Support" programs?

Rider support programs; what's your feeling about them? On your radar or not really? Do you participate in them and if so, are they valuable to you? Just looking for over all rider feelings, thoughts and experiences with manufacturer rider support programs. For the sake of this topic, we're asking about parts, accessories, gear & apparel support, NOT factory programs.

22 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Hard to answer with so many different level programs available.

Answer relative to YOUR level and experiences. What, if anything has stood out to you, whether good, bad or something else. These are subjective questions based upon unique user experiences, either having participated in a program or based upon their encounters/interactions with support offers. So, no/wrong or expected answers.

• Like 1

Can't speak to current contingency programs as I only dabble with races these days, but I did the KTM contingency back early 2000's.

As an amateur, at that time, you only received credit at your dealership. If I remember correctly,  i had to commit to a series and attempt to race almost all the events and score in top positions to recieve credit at dealership through the KTM program. I don't think I got anything from KTM as I wasn't able to make all of the races and I wasn't a podium contender.

Honestly,  I got a lot more from the dealership in parts discounts and they gave me freebies that year in some gear and would change my tires for free. 

But,  that was some 15 years ago and I was B amateur class rider. 

I'd be interesting to hear what a AA expert in a large recognized series gets. 

I'll ask one of our local big guns in the OMRA series 

Edited by firffighter
  • Helpful 1

My son had a variety of rider support programs/sponsorships while he raced. They essentially provided gear,tires, pipes, etc for dealer cost.  It was really beneficial for the most part.  The biggest problem we encountered was buying gear.  They never had it in stock. 

• Like 1

i had  few friends who had partial sponsors. they would get discounts on tires and stuff. you have to be really dedicated to racing a full series though. racing is expensive so i guess anything helps.  

• Like 1

Husqvarna is pretty good.  I have no complaints, and the system was pretty seamless when I was part of it.  I got a decent amount of $$ towards parts that helped.  The only difficulty I had on my end was a dealer that didn't know squat about the system and was a pain to work through simply because they had never dealt with the program before.

If I had to choose between a good contingency program or a good dealer, I am taking the dealer every time.  A dealer support program that is a set discount off retail or cost+ can be as good or better.  I now have great dealer support (again), so it works out better for me on that end with a bike that will have no contingency program than one that will with a dealer that isn't as supportive.  I am also not going to be racing a full series for the next few years, so it works out better as well with the dealer support when I am bouncing around in 3 or 4 different series and not in it for any year end points/awards.

• Like 2

So many of the 'support programs' are just scams that you have to buy into to get a discount where if you shop a little, you can often buy the stuff at the same price as the program 'discount'. I've also seen a lot of them where the low price 'sponsorship' is really selling last years unsold stock.

A good relationship with a good dealer is often the best place to get rider support.

From time to time, TT Insiders have made offers to members that are great deals. They have done some terrific group buys.

For me, 'Support' means free items given for an impartial review or just to help out a valued member of the sport or as true sponsorship. At my pinnacle, that meant even free bikes. Now I only get air at a 10% discount.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eastreich said:

Husqvarna is pretty good.  I have no complaints, and the system was pretty seamless when I was part of it.  I got a decent amount of $$ towards parts that helped.  The only difficulty I had on my end was a dealer that didn't know squat about the system and was a pain to work through simply because they had never dealt with the program before.

If I had to choose between a good contingency program or a good dealer, I am taking the dealer every time.  A dealer support program that is a set discount off retail or cost+ can be as good or better.  I now have great dealer support (again), so it works out better for me on that end with a bike that will have no contingency program than one that will with a dealer that isn't as supportive.  I am also not going to be racing a full series for the next few years, so it works out better as well with the dealer support when I am bouncing around in 3 or 4 different series and not in it for any year end points/awards.

Yep, a great dealer trumps everything. And I'll bet racing is more fun now that points aren't an issue. Good luck.

My answer depends on whether or not Thumpertalk offers me a rider support deal for 2022. 

This year I've made enough contingency money from Maxxis to pay for a few sets of tires. My local series didn't get signed up for GasGas soon enough, but I would have made some there too. 

Edited by k.g

Dealer support is always good. Brand support is also, if you can find the right places. I have my suspension shop wo has always been great to me. Just run his stickers, help promote the shop and he takes care of me. Also TrueMX is a gear company that does discounts w/ really no strings attached. Basically the higher-level or rider that you are, you get better discounts, but there is no "buy in." If you look around and get the right people around you, you can get some decent help. 

I don't have the social media rep to meet the requirements for rider support programs. In light of that I don't promote many mfg products.

If a manufacturer would rather have a 13yo calling everyone "bro" at the track while showing off his new bling after taking 16th place because he has a huge instagram following. That's not my style nor the product I want.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, William1 said:

From time to time, TT Insiders have made offers to members that are great deals. They have done some terrific group buys.

For me, 'Support' means free items given for an impartial review or just to help out a valued member of the sport or as true sponsorship. At my pinnacle, that meant even free bikes. Now I only get air at a 10% discount.

Exactly, group buys are a great way to support a wide array of riders and offer a fair discount to everyone. These are "usually" quality products because the mfg. doesn't want a bad name, especially on reputable forums.

Unless you're riding professionally, you are supporting the mfg.