2022 YZ125 Test Premiers (9:00 PST Monday 11/22) Vital MX / MXA / Dirt Bike / Swapmoto

carver

Interesting note ,most of the factory mxgp bikes don't run the vented airbox cover ,yes you can find pics of them having them ,but the majority of races, the majority of riders don't run them.

I watched all the mxgp and I would say they used them less than 25% , and I don't think it was related to dust etc 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

Can we ease into it, say over the next year? That's quite a bit for me to jump right up to.

On some exciting news the long rod engine is built( not fitted yet ) ,just waiting on George and the new block 

O will be doing the Dyno as soon as it is possible 

I won't be riding before Feb ,it's going to be -1 oC real feel this weekend and I am a total pussy ,I don't ride even close that cold 

Edited by mog
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

That's nothing I raced this arenacross race in that temp once. It was the first round of our local arenacross series. But the track was outside but it was arenacross sized. 

They had watered and tilled the track the day before. Next morning the ground was frozen solid. We start riding practice at 8am. 

Sections of the frozen top layer about 3 inches down. Start breaking off into hard frozen chunks. Big chunks too like baseball sized. 

The first moto's were scary especially when it came to braking into corners. The hard chunks rolled around under your tires like ball bearings. 

• Like 2

So I have a question ,on engines how much progress has Yamaha made ?

This is my Dyno from 1999 , STD KTM 125 Vs a shorty cut down STD silencer 

You can see a clear 34hp with perfect linear power 

21 yz is 32.5 hp so a 22 should be 33.5hp 

This is pretty much what a 22 yz 125 is making( maybe more ) and I suspect from reviews/tests  with less bottom end than this bike had ......

Screenshot_2021-11-25-22-45-36-83_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Here is some info regarding engines and brands over the years

21 fantic 

06 yz with a vertex piston 

STD 08 kx ( least hp)

Cr 2007 with a pc pipe 

No great difference up to 10k with the Cr having the most midrange which was a surprise 

The next one is a Fantic with full hgs Vs cr with pc to make it equal ,the Cr considering it was the poor relation of the 125 did well 

The dip you see was down to pv not right for port timing and pipe 

Screenshot_2021-11-25-23-39-12-99_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Screenshot_2021-11-25-23-39-33-00_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

17 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

With the total redesign I was expecting bigger gains than what are being talked about.

I have no doubt that they could make it produce 40 hp (I had a TZ125 with 38 stock and modded to 41, but the top end was good for about 6 hours. With all the jokers buying YZ125s as trail bikes,  Yamaha isn’t going to push the limit too far and risk their reputation.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

6 minutes ago, ss-racing66 said:

I have no doubt that they could make it produce 40 hp (I had a TZ125 with 38 stock and modded to 41, but the top end was good for about 6 hours. With all the jokers buying YZ125s as trail bikes,  Yamaha isn’t going to push the limit too far and risk their reputation.

The KTM piston lasts much longer as do the bearings and crank , and it's 2hp up 

And it's a 2016 design 

Sorry but I don't think yamaha get a pass on that 

10 minutes ago, ss-racing66 said:

Fair enough, just not seeing the real benefits of the engine redesign, especially the weight gain.

• Like 1