Any cars out there that can handle the tongue weight of a dirt bike on a carrier?

• nots0much changed the title to Any cars out there that can handle the tongue weight of a dirt bike on a carrier?

Any American made car from the 1960s? My old 68 Oldsmobile Delta 88 would have easily hauled ass while hauling a bike. 8 miles per gallon and a cloud of tire smoke... 455 cubic inches of raw American whoopass!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Hmmmm. 68 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with an LS conversion? There's your OBD2. Seriously? Can't think of one. Wait! Maybe an 89 impala SS? OBD2, long, heavy, 4 doors, injection. Computer. Silicon chips. Retro cool... Or were those OBD1?

Edited by Jgas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nots0much said:

I said a car, not a truck. Of course, a half-a-century-old, body-on-frame car would do. How about something with an OBDII port?

On My 2010 Legacy wagon, and My mrs '05 outback, the towbars insert inside the rear chassis tube for about a foot. Be more than strong enough I'd say, you'd tear the whole rear out of it before the bar broke loose.

Besides a dirt bike isn't that heavy, most weigh not much more than an average fat guy does.

edit; They only recommend a 80kg tongue load, but I wouldn't be scared to use more, it's a pretty solid setup.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, nots0much said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't safe.
image.png.9bb105273e53ec2ace81fe6f9fe4a74e.png

You 'mericans aren't very inventive, other than using that ute/truck in the shed, you could reinforce the mounts and fit some slightly heavier rear springs in there and she'd be sweet. I bet I could even make it strong enough to carry a fourstroke.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jgas said:

Hmmmm. 68 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with an LS conversion? There's your OBD2. Seriously? Can't think of one. Wait! Maybe an 89 impala SS? OBD2, long, heavy, 4 doors, injection. Computer. Silicon chips. Retro cool... Or were those OBD1?

OBDII started in 1996.

1 hour ago, Chuck. said:

Hitch weight is 10% of tow weight so check your vehicles tow weight limit and 10% will be the hitch rating.  Having said that I have 6k+ miles of hitch hauling with my Trailbalzer but it has a 5k tow rating and the bike is only 250lbs. I do keep the rear tires up at max PSI.

Trailblazer is a truck platform. 

23 minutes ago, CRF2eR said:

I haul my dirtbikes on the back of my Subaru sti with its stealth hitch all over the place...

20190417_191732.jpg.465a29f9599b35ba5c04be2f3b13b38d.jpg

20200620_114402.jpg.7179417f405e5776afb21b022ddb2455.jpg

20210404_170208.jpg.7ac748221c18de8ba6cc6a499457dd22.jpg

20210519_164310.jpg.d72f655058528c3f6706931b1b7896d8.jpg

Randy 

That's pretty sick. Would've never guessed you could put that much weight on a sedan. Even an AWD one. 

23 minutes ago, DEATH_INC. said:

You 'mericans aren't very inventive, other than using that ute/truck in the shed, you could reinforce the mounts and fit some slightly heavier rear springs in there and she'd be sweet. I bet I could even make it strong enough to carry a fourstroke.

But that's a 2400lb car. I've owned one. I would expect the thing to just tip backwards on a hill or a dip. 

• Haha 4

Largely it is hitch design and how it mounts. It must be solid and capable of well exceeding the mass applied. The weight on the tail (think fat chick sitting in your trunk) is not that big a deal. But a hitch that attaches with a few bolts through sheet metal and no reinforcement is not going to work. OEM hitches typically are bomb proof and will work right to weight specs. 'U-Haul', dude in a shop hitches are VERY suspect.

I recall as a kid, my dad had a U-Haul installed hitch that was largely bumper mounted. Big Steel Bumper. Not designed for weight vertically. It did not end well towing a Boston Whaler.

The other thing is wiring. If you tow and trailer, you have to have correct wiring. Gone are the days when you can simply 'splice in'. You really have to have the OEM wiring kit. Not only does it go in with no effort, it does not screw up the data the car computer works with.

I have used hitch carriers on 87 Astro Van, 95 E150 van, 2003 F150 quad cab, 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. I found the driving experience improved if the rack was close to the rear wheels. So Listing in order how they drove from best to worst: 87 Astro Van, 2005 Chrysler Pacifica, 95 E150, 2003 F150.  The F150 had by far the highest tow rating and hitch rating but the overhung load was a long way from the wheels.  The driving experience you would feel is if you were going though large bumps on the road you could feel the front wheels get light.  None of the above by no means were scary to drive.

I did on the back of my Chrysler 300s for a season. But it was so low it drug. When I was at the hitch and trailer shop looking for a step up, he and I looked in the book and saw it was only rated 100lbs tongue. The non s is 300. Even at 300 you are pushing it because of the lever action. We crawled under the car and could see where it was already starting to tweak the underbody. 

so I stopped and went to a trailer. Realizing trailers are a PITA to store. But it wasn’t worth the risk. Plus the trailer is a good asset. 

something with a tongue weight 450 or more. And some clearance. 

• Like 2

Most carriers indicate that they require a class III or class IV hitch. 1460124903_2021-11-2317_42_24.jpg.1761dc95dd0b3609f0752078a7260e36.jpgMost carriers indicate that they require a class III or class IV hitch. Class 3 hitches have a towing capacity between 3,500 to 8,000 lbs and a tongue weight capacity between 350 and 800 lbs. Just a matter of weather such a hitch can be fitted to your vehicle.  

Could you carry it with a class 2 hitch? Maybe, but if you hit the right bump....snap :(

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1