Fixing the other KTM TPI oil leak

LTJ

Hmmm, I inserted the pictures but then couldn't add the introduction.  So here it is:  My bike has had this annoying leak around the 2 stroke oil reservoir.  I looked all around the reservoir and determined it was coming from the boot that connects the reservoir to the oil pump.  The above procedure is how I fixed it.  Might be helpful to some who are new to wrenching on your bikes...

• Helpful 2

It's a very poor design. There have been plenty of bikes over the years that have used the frame backbone as an engine oil tank without then adding a crappy plastic tank as well. It's so crammed in behind the engine that you end up having to take 1/2 the bike to bits to access it.

Well done @LTJ for documenting the process so well. It's just a pity that you had to do it.

• Helpful 1

20 minutes ago, Hubert Carpet said:

It's a very poor design. There have been plenty of bikes over the years that have used the frame backbone as an engine oil tank without then adding a crappy plastic tank as well. It's so crammed in behind the engine that you end up having to take 1/2 the bike to bits to access it.

Well done @LTJ for documenting the process so well. It's just a pity that you had to do it.

Yep... mediocre implementation by KTM.

The next models could be done much better. Its a kluge. 😄