Personality Differences MX vs Enduro

What do you think some of the personality differences are between people who do motocross and Enduro?

In my experience, I've noticed that it's really rare for someone to participate in both motocross and Enduro equally. Personally I don't know a single person who does both, it's always one or the other period. All my friends only do enduro while I like to do both equally.

I've noticed that the Enduro crowd is a bit older and is more open to meeting new people. The motocross crowd feels kind of "cliquey" with established groups of friends.

I want to know what your experiences are with mx vs Enduro. Also why do you think people tend to do one or the other exclusively? There are of course people who do both mx and Enduro but it's really rare in my experience. Have you noticed any personality differences between people from one group or the other?

• Like 1

Mx to me seems to be more just purely an exercise in using riding skill and understanding traction to navigate a   track faster than your buddy.  Its a lot more motorcycle focused.

Enduro is clearing trails, cutting trees, wet boots, dodging horses and atvs, etc. 

to me mx is considerably more enjoyable because it’s just a full blast of motorcycling.

If I’m riding single track and I have to consider trail conservation and I can’t just dig trench’s with the rear wheel, boring. 

• Angry 1
  • Haha 1

I ride/race MX, hare scrambles and enduro.  It hasn’t been an even mix.  It was either mostly moto or mostly woods, depending on the season.  I love bangin bars on the track for 10 min, but I really like traditional timekeeping enduro the best (most seat time).  I am a bit older, though…. I agree on the cliquey part of mx, but I have never parked next to a jerk at an mx practice or race.  I’d guess people who choose moto, focus primarily on moto, where woods riders just want to get on the bike, so they adapt to another discipline.   I have one track 30 min away but closest legal woods are 2+ hours, so I was riding a lot more mx recently.  

Edited by bg10459
  • Like 2

The intensity, speed and jumping in MX is addictive and I've made far more MX riding friends than when I trail ride.

Trail riding, climbing/descent skills and creek bottom skills are fun, too. No reason to just ride one type.

I'd blast around all day on a dirt road if that was all I had.... but, properly tilled and watered MX track dirt is amazing. ?

Edited by SlowDinoDog
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Seems pretty universal between both disciplines. You are always going to have &%$#@! and run into them, but generally I find the moto community one of the most involved and kind around. So many times I seen others ask or donate tools, fuel, tubes, etc and spend time to help fellow riders.

I had got a flat mid race and came into the pits and a fellow competitor lent me his complete front wheel to ride the remainder of the race. 

I drove all the way to a race down in Washington (12hr one way trip) only to suffer a mechanical during moto 1 making it so I couldn't compete on moto 2. The racer promoter lent me his personal race bike for moto 2 which I was able to win the overall in Open A. 

• Like 8
  • Helpful 1

MX is a series of sprints, and enduro is ( generally) a marathon so it's hard to be good at both. I do enduro/ off road 100% and know that  sometimes when an MX exclusive rider joins our rides they have a real hard time and are thoroughly exhausted and sometimes scared out of their boots ( high mountain sheer drops ) .  On the other hand I am sure I and other non MX guys would get run over and spit out on a track.

Joe

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

MX is a series of sprints, and enduro is ( generally) a marathon so it's hard to be good at both. I do enduro/ off road 100% and know that  sometimes when an MX exclusive rider joins our rides they have a real hard time and are thoroughly exhausted and sometimes scared out of their boots ( high mountain sheer drops ) .  On the other hand I am sure I and other non MX guys would get run over and spit out on a track.

Joe

Good points.

If you are a good enduro rider then you should be able to go out on a Sunday and finish mid'pack in a local Sunday Novice MX Race.

If you can't, there's a whole lot you can learn about turning, jumping, braking, gassing and body positioning by spending time on a track.

• Like 3

I grew up racing and riding both .  People are friendly in both camps if you are friendly and help. It’s give and get. My Dad always told me from young that to be a better rider you work to be good at both so it’s ride and race both.  . It’s 2 different animals and  the same seems to me. Ones a sprint and one is long distance. It’s different pace and expending energy and skillsets and sort of different and the same too crossing over at different points . In trail riding there were different riding groups to ride with when I grew up. There were a couple super fast trail groups  that every weekend riding was like an mx race in the trails and the mellow riding groups that were more common . There’s definitely a difference between the mx only guys and the trail only race guys and the guys that do both . Then there’s the guys that never race that are fast and would win but just rather ride trails. 

As time went on racing I got bored going in circles more with mx. The suck part on race day was racing and doing a couple motos spread out so all day you’re at the track and you hardly got any ride time at all. I like the longer hare scrambles at 3 hours or our hare and hounds that can be 3 to like 6 hours or so. So it’s go as fast as you can  and have energy to finish . Hell just riding trails all day with a fast group was better than racing mx for me.  Both are great . It’s just what you feel like doing. I like going fast in trails and you have to make quick decisions to adapt to what comes up around the corner . 

• Like 2

Like everything else it's a relative statement, Current mx (district) in the pts. hunt are all yoots, subject to the social media gen. foibles. 

Vets/vintage are out to have fun and just enjoy the day.

Off road guys are generally open and more laid back for the same reasons.

But they're out in the woods running around with nymphs and ferries so.....

?

Edited by 87' CR 5003
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

No pretensions in MX... you can tell if someone is fast or slow within a couple turns. It makes one humble, quickly.

Lots of talkers at the trailheads... ?

The gym is much the same... Everyone can talk about how much they lift, but when you start sliding weights on the bar, shit talking stops quickly... Either you can pick up the weights, or you can't... No in-betweens

• Like 5
  • Haha 1