MT250 Throttle Sticking

Hello everyone,

Picked up a 75 Mt250 that’s been built up with a bunch of cr250 parts to make a mix between the bikes.  It was rebuilt in 2016 and never ridden after then, no gas or oil put in the bike so everything is super clean.

Started going through it and started with the carb as I noticed the throttle sticking. The tube and throttle assembly was all gunked up, cleaned that up and thought it would fix it, nope.

Checked and lubed the cable, disassembled the slide, and everything thing looked good and clean.

put it all back together and it still sticks. Any ideas? I’m thinking the cable maybe just be old and needs replacement? 

Also wanted to know if I could be a newer CR style throttle tube and assembly on it? Thanks 

21 hours ago, ty151 said:

also wanted to know if I could be a newer CR style throttle tube and assembly on it?

I have ended up with a couple of the "Original-authentic" Gunnar Gasser throttle housings. The housings are of great quality and work well. I remember these housings being used by many of the woods riders racing the MR250 enduro version during its era. 

274870481_GunnarGasser79XL125-185-ATC200X_LI.jpg.1054e57727b78b7c864093db31a3a415.jpg

You can buy Gunnar Gasser throttle assembly that would be period correct & feature quick change throttle cable capability. These housings are also "Side pull" which keeps cable lying flat w/ bars and not sticking outward to get snagged on debris or less likely to get broken off when hit.image.thumb.png.b6e5b1ba662c4fcdf027ab81fdb6fe4c.png 

Be careful of the Copycat models, that are cheaply made.

They will work okay, if you are just looking at the bike. I bought 2 from my local dealer, but didn't realize they were Chinese copies. Should have known by the price when cost was quoted.

OEM XR throttle housings would be a good choice, but depending on housing most also need the matching tube, due to cam cable pull radius design. This also may mean using cable for that housing. 

829241369_81XRsidepullthrottle_20190713_162739(2)_LI.jpg.4a3f08835f33affab9b273f6cebb0032.jpg

So, before you buy a cable for your exact model, decide on the housing & tube you want to use.  

Edited by AMSinator
add additional info

Awesome, thanks for the replies.

there ended up being a small amount of gunk at the end of the throttle tube that I missed the first time through.  The whole assembly was full of grease from the PO, super weird.  Used some brake cleaner and a tooth brush and got it all cleaned out…it’s buttery smooth now 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1