quick lighting coil question

i have spent a while searching posts. i really want to add a lighting coil to my yzf, but strictly for finding my way back to the truck if it gets too dark. i dont plan on doing any serious night riding, just need all the enduro essentials.

i know the electrex 45w stator is fairly weak, but i just need some sort of light for safety puposes. is the 45w stator a direct replacement for the yz stator? its not a wr stator with the required "pink wire mod", right? and also, how does it plug into the yz cdi/acerbis headlight i plan on using?

the deal breaker would be whether or not it worked with my steahly flywheel. anyone know? ?

any help is appreciated

Did you check Eline Accessories? They have lighting kits.

are you talking about that 180 watt external stator? do they have a less powerful stator for around $200? as i said, i dont plan on any night riding, i just want to be prepared. ?

I origionaly had the 45watt electrex coil on my yz400. Yes it is a bolt on using the stock flywheel. BUT it is a scarry endevor to install as you have to unbolt your existing coil from the backer plate and cut all the wires off of it. Then install the new coil and reconect/solder the wires to that. It is not just a bolt on affair. It was a little spooky cutting the wires off of my very expensive stock stator. But it worked fine on the 1st try thank god.

Like you said it dont put out much power. But would probably be enough to get you back to the truck if needed.

Something else to think about is that the 45w coil is going for what like $220. The 130watt wr coil from electrex is around $300. Its not all that much more money and puts out a heck of a lot more power. And you get the heavier wr flywheel to boot. Something to think about. That is what I ended up with and I am very happy.

yzman, that makes me think... i dont want to cut the wires off my stock stator. forget that 45w coil. is the 130w WR coil a complete stator? whats the installation like on that one?

i might as well do it right the first time.

thanks for the help ?

I believe the 130w WR stator is complete. I have the 45w electrex and it powers a dual 35w acerbis blitz head light. Works great. The light is dim at idle. If you want constant brightness just put on a single 35w headlight and it will work fine. The clip and solder wasn't as bad as it looks.

2 cents

yzman, that makes me think... i dont want to cut the wires off my stock stator. forget that 45w coil. is the 130w WR coil a complete stator? whats the installation like on that one?

i might as well do it right the first time.

thanks for the help ?

The wr stator is just a plug and play when you get it from Electrex.