Wheelies

How do you guys do wheelies it seems like alot of off road technique depends on them. Can you guys give some advise or tips on how to do it I can get the front wheel up but that is it..

depends on the bike, speed, terrain, tires etc. generally bouncing the front end and gassing it at the same time is the way to go unless you have enough power to just crack into it and bring it up. im assuming no since you are asking.

On my 250X you just twist the throttle, and if you have a XR400 i think thatys what your info thingy said you should ba able to do the same thing. in like 2nd just keep the throttle steady at lower rpm's then either lean way back as you give it gas or bounce down and compress the forks, then as they come up lean back and gas it. whichever works better for you. Go out and practice and you will get the hang of it!

A wheelie is all about the balance point. There is a certain angle that is balanced. Try doing a wheelie on a bicycle. I can do a wheelie on a bicycle for over a mile. Keep your foot on the brake, just in case.

A wheelie is all about the balance point. There is a certain angle that is balanced. Try doing a wheelie on a bicycle. I can do a wheelie on a bicycle for over a mile. Keep your foot on the brake, just in case.

I have never been able to wheelie bicycles :thumbsup: I can raise the front wheel but that has been all..

i cant get my mountain bike up at a faster speed..but i do i suppose "12 oclocks" on my mountain bike in like 1st 2nd 3rd gear. i like the slow wheelies..but i run out of crank to go very far. but im no ace at wheelies on the dirtbike but yeah just remember the back brake is your saftey.

-rOOster-

I have never been able to wheelie bicycles :thumbsup: I can raise the front wheel but that has been all..

I know a kid who can wheelie 100 feet on a bad day its all about steady pedal speed and using the pedals to keep the bike up not your arms. manuals are alot more fun though. (a manual is a wheelie without pedaling.)

you dont have to beable to do a parlor trick wheelie to be useful. there are pros that cant even hold a wheelie, it is a great skill to have but if you dont you can still get good enough at wheelies to make them useful. Just remember when it comes up too high the brake will bring you back down, so will engine braking. I would practice getting the front wheel up and then letting off the throttle, you dont want to fall back and pin the throttle cause you will loop out, just keep a cool head about what your doing and you will be fine.

once you get use to it, you can do mauals, one handers (bicycle), i am working on no handers, you have to put all the weight on your butt. try compressing the suspension on your dirtbike to get the wheel up.

I can get the wheel up no problem my bike has plenty of power.. I guess you are right I just need to practice get more comfortable with it.. Ity used to scare me when the front wheel came up now it does not and I can control it.. So I suppose that is an improvement

Just be prepared to bust your butt a few times :thumbsup:

maybe go ahead and pre order a couple back fenders, just kidding, an XR has a very predictible power delivery which is nice when practicing wheelies.

I was thinking I should practice on the kids CRF 50... Wait I already busted his rear fender.. :thumbsup:

a longer wheelbase dirtbike will be harder to get in the air, and easier to stay there, the balance point gets larger when you drive a larger size bike. it may be easy to lift the wheel on a xr 50, but your gonna have a hard time to keep it in the air. I would suggest to practice on what you drive, because on a dirtbike, the wheelbases change with every bike.

Cool guys I already have the pillows picked out that I am going to tie to my butt!!!

Just be prepared to bust your butt a few times :thumbsup:

maybe go ahead and pre order a couple back fenders, just kidding, an XR has a very predictible power delivery which is nice when practicing wheelies.

Would it not make sense to just remove the back fender when practicing wheelies??

Thats a thought.......... :DOr just tell yourself you are NOT going to loop it............ good luck

you can get pretty far back and recover if you keep a cool head. on my stock drz ive hit the rear fender reflector, thats alittle past vertical and brought it back. what i like to do is keep my foot on the rear brake a little and pop it up in first sitting down and see how far back i can go, helps you to learn the bike and how not to panic when you do this on accident. remember moving your body around moves the balance point, and also standing up raises your balance point so you dont have to have the front wheel as high.

good luck

Awsome guys now can anyone tell me what the foot pedal on the right does I am new to this..

Practice more on your son's XR50. Did you see the video I did riding my son's XR50?

You can use the rear brake and ride some very long wheelies on them and if you eat it, at least you are close to the ground. :thumbsup:

Yea I saw your vid that was sweet we must have the same type of neighbors we have a jump set up in the front yard I will have to post some pics of the kids jumping..