TT125 Jetting and airbox - A visual guide

In preperation to move this to another server, and to make it more portable for me to work with in the future, I have taken screenshots of the entire guide and compiled it into one very large .jpeg of the entire guide.

Since it's in one image now it will take a little longer to load for many of you, but it's still only 1.78mb so even on dialup it should load in a few minutes.

Also, I haven't been able to edit this guide in some time now because when I wrote it there was no limit to the number of images you could put in one post and now there is. Everytime I have tried to edit anything at all it tells me I have too many images in the post and I have to cancel. This edit will also make it so I can add stuff from time to time.

Another benefit to this is you guys will be able to save the one image and have the whole guide on your computer complete with text.

Please bear with me as I'm sure there will be bugs with this...

Btw, if this thread helps you at all, please pay me back by clicking the little gas can over to the right and giving this post feedback. It's nice to see the gauge move. :thumbsup:

With that said, here's the image. Let me know if you guys have any trouble...

TTR125_visual_guide.jpg

All through this thread there has been talk of the exhaust "washer mod" and people have asked for pics of what it is. I have been forgetting and putting it off for ages, but rob125 just took a pic of his so I figured I'd add it to this post for everyone to see what the exhaust washer mod is.

Thanks again rob.

washermod_ttr125.jpg

Added for info...

Here's an excellent picture by cntryby of the brass cap on the 2005-2006 model bikes. All you have to do to gain access is carefully drill the plug out with a bit just smaller than the outside diameter of the plug. Here is the dialog from his post and the pic.

I used an old machinist trick...(not for the inexperienced)

I barely put any pressure on the chuck which allows the bit to slip. Then used the high speed setting on my cordless, with light pressure. When the drill starts to go through, it will bite just before it breaks through, and slip in the chuck. Ran in a small wood screw...perfect.

05-06_bikes_fuel-screw.jpg

And now thanks to Mustang_Warbird, the above guide is available for download as a .pdf file to make it easier to save, print and reference.

http://www.ovrrdrive.made2own.com/TT125_jetting/TTR125Jetting&AirboxMods.pdf

• Like 12

Awesome job, that's exactly how I remembered it. Good quality pictures, I'm sure it will help alot of people out!! :devil::thumbsup::awww::lol:

Very nice job, beautiful pics!

For just a simple jetting change, all I did:

1) turn off fuel petcock

2) drain the bowl via the drain screw (don't forget to put a catch container under the fuel outlet!)

3) disconnect fuel hose at the petcock

4) loosen both ends of the carb rubber boot clamps

5) twist the carb out of the rubber boots

6) loosen the 4 bowl screws and remove bowl--careful with the gasket and floats

7) remove jet, install new jet

8) reverse the order for re-installation

Takes about 5 minutes total.

I'm glad you guys think it's done well. I hope it helps some people. The last bike I owned had a site at the owners association where a guy did writeups like that for every piece of maintenance you could ever want to do. You have no idea how much confidence that instilled in me everytime I needed to do something.

Since turning to the dirtbikes there just aren't that many write ups like this. It took me a month to get the nerve to try it, but I really felt good about it today, so I thought I'd try to do my first visual guide.

This is also my first sticky anywhere. :thumbsup::lol:

If anyone spots anything wrong above let me know. I don't want to give out any wrong information.

Btw, I just edited that post for like the 30th time to clear out typos in it. My keyboard is almost worn out and seems to have a mind of its own.

Thanks for the responses guys. That's why I did it. :devil:

By the way, we went riding today after I did all of this and my wife is very happy with the changes. She said it made a definite difference in the power. She actually blamed me for overshooting a few turns because she was going too fast!

I still think it will handle the 110 main though. It has a little popping on decell that I wasn't able to clean out with the fuel screw. All of the dirty work is done now so all I have to do is the main jet change. I'll do that the Chainlash way I think. :awww:

• Like 1

awesome! job well done! :thumbsup: hopefully that will start a trend of photo illustrations for mods.

Great work! :thumbsup:

This will save a number of "how do I...?" threads over the coming years...

The high res camera is the way... My PDF was taken with a VGA resolution one... :devil: It makes a difference...

Cheers,

David

Thanks yamaha.dude. Your pdf thread was a big inspiration to do this. Heck, I even stole your title so it would look uniform. :thumbsup:

TT has been good to me since I found it. I thought it would be cool to "give a little back."

I opened up the airbox on my daughters 01 TTR as well as replaced the Spark arrestor with an endcap that has a 1.5" exaust outlet, she has a 115 main in it now and it's still slightly lean even though I didn't remove the screen. Just a little FYI for you guys.

I just purchased a YZ80 carb so I am not going to mess with the jetting on the stock carb anymore. I'm hoping to get alot more from this new mod.

Oh Yea great "How to."

Excellent work. :thumbsup:

David can you pin it and lock it or possibly add it to a FAQ that is tiered with the stuff from D, your stuff and this to cover the 90 and 125?

It is pinned to the top, but I will leave it open so others can post their experiences...

Cheers,

David

Excellent job. I have a 04 TT-R 125 as well. While I haven't done any mods to the air box, I have performed the following mod to make the bike run. As you know they are delivered so lean they hardly run. What I did was I took out the slide to raise the needle to richen it up by lowering the clip. Once I was in there, I quickly found out that the needle is a non-adjustable type!! I took the needle to my local hardware store and purchased two flat washers(#8 or #10) that fit around the needle nicely without being too loose. I reinstalled the slide and buttoned it back up and man..... what a difference. I ended up backing the fuel mixture screw out another turn and a half. The bike runs killer now.

Again nice job on your post, and great pics too!!

That's interesting... As you can see, I didn't bother with the needle, just the main and pilot. I thought the book shows the needle as having 3 clip positions...

I'll have to take another look at it. Doesn't the needle just meter the main jet?

I just figured by increasing the main jet size, I'd also increase the flow by the needle jet as well.

By the way, thanks to everyone for the comments about the quality of the pictures. I used a Cannon a70 set to max resolution on the fine setting. Then I resized all of them in photoshop. When you click on any of the pictures above, you see the picture as it came out of my camera.

On the closeup pictures, I used the macro setting and let the camera do all of the focus work.

I've been really happy with the camera. As you can all see it takes great pictures.

By the way, thanks to everyone for the comments about the quality of the pictures. I used a Cannon a70 set to max resolution on the fine setting. Then I resized all of them in photoshop. When you click on any of the pictures above, you see the picture as it came out of my camera.

On the closeup pictures, I used the macro setting and let the camera do all of the focus work.

I've been really happy with the camera. As you can all see it takes great pictures.

Are those pics taken under flouro lights? I think I will get a better set of pics, for my PDF when I add the next section... :thumbsup::devil: Cameras have come down in price, I must investigate further... :awww:

David

Some may have more grooves, mine didn't, only one. Maybe it was made on late friday or something! The main jet only affects the fuel metering at @3/4 throttle and above. It will have NO affect on lesser throttle openings. The needle does all the metering in the 1/4-3/4 ranges.

Are those pics taken under flouro lights? I think I will get a better set of pics, for my PDF when I add the next section... :awww::thumbsup: Cameras have come down in price, I must investigate further... :devil:

David

I was in the front yard and it was overcast. I was worried that the heavy clouds would make the pictures look like crap, but the flash compensated for it.

I did alot of research before I bought the a70. It was a very popular camera at the time. Not only does it take great pictures, it takes pretty good video clips too. It's nice to be able to shoot short clips and email them right out.

Just an update...

I changed out the main jet last night to the 110 and it made a world of difference. For my conditions and how humid it was yesterday, the jetting seems spot on now.

I'll probably order the next few sizes up for when it cools off, but while it's still hot I don't see being able to improve it much more.

Compared to stock this has been a major improvement. My wife says it will be my fault when she crashes next because I made the bike too fast. Sometimes you just can't win. :devil:

But she's happy. :thumbsup:

ovrrdrive,

Where did you get your jets?

Also...time to update your sig!

Thanks,

Cliff

I got them from the TT store because I couldn't figure out how to order from sudco. The shipping is kind of expensive from TT, but they do process orders quickly and I got what I ordered.

The part numbers in the other thread on jetting are correct and come up in the lookup at the TT store.

Sig updated. :thumbsup: