TE450/510 Reviews.

The Husqvarnausa.com website has a link to Cyclewords test where they named the bike, "Enduro Bike of the Year."

I am still trying to make a move to a new WR-250 but haven't quite pulled the trigger yet.

Greg

Greg,

I had a new 99 and 2002 WR250. These are great bikes and very versitile as well and durable. I would get one of these over a KTM 250 2 smoke in a heart beat.

My 99...

MVC-114F.JPG

My awesome 02...

MVC-251F.JPG

These truly are great bikes. You can't go wrong with one. ?

Ride,

I had a 1999 WR250 and the power was pretty mild on top. How does a 1999 compare to a 2002. I think the 2002 and 2004 have a lot in common. BTW, which pipe do you have on your 02?

I test rode an 04 up and down a driveway but couldn't really get on it. It seemed to be pretty fast on top though. I actually like a two stroke with a little bit of hit to it.

Thanks.

Greg

The 02 has a little more snap but is similar to the 99. These bikes have a lot of flywheel so they are not snappy but they are powerfull. The pipe was a PC which was actually more mild than the stock pipe. If you want more hit I would suggest having the flywheel turned down so it is lighter.

I'm looking for reviews on the TE450 and/or 510 -- if anyone knows of any please post a link.

Thanks

www.husky.com.au

The Aussie husky web site has bike tests, some real good reading.

Also www.adb.com ??

I think, Aussie dirtbike mag, search for

Australasian Dirt Bike magazine. They have a great enduro shutout.

Husky's are great bikes, No question! ?

While in Spain last week on vacation I picked up a dirt bike mag. I dont speak Spanish, but I did get one Phrase

they had in the article(and I quote)

"El TE510/450 es mucho Rapido"

I think that says it all.

If that doesn't help, Watch the X-games super moto several more times.

I'm looking for reviews on the TE450 and/or 510 -- if anyone knows of any please post a link.

Thanks

Go to http://www.husqvarnausa.com and check their media gallery link. It has several reviews on the TE450. I've not heard anything bad about em. I'm hoping for an '05. I missed a good deal on an '04 here at the local dealer ($5600) by a few days after the wife gave me the green light to find a new bike. So I'm on hold waiting for the '05s to arrive. By reading posts on this site and talking with some dealers, I'm learning there will be more TE450s available this year as they really didn't intend for the '04s to hit the USA market. I've also learned the '05 will have a different carb to eliminate some problems with the '04 configuration, a little larger gas tank (add 1/2 gallon) and fix a kick starter lever problem. I hope they will shave a little weight if possible.

Happy trails...

I just sold a 01 TE510 with 3000 to 4000 miles no problems at all. I picked up a 04 TE510 2 months ago. In my opinion its the best dirt bike for me, and i have owned almost every other brand. I ride desert, baja as well as tight trails in arrowhead. Take a good look at Husky they have a great product. ?

I just sold a 01 TE510 with 3000 to 4000 miles no problems at all. I picked up a 04 TE510 2 months ago. In my opinion its the best dirt bike for me, and i have owned almost every other brand. I ride desert, baja as well as tight trails in arrowhead. Take a good look at Husky they have a great product. ?

There is an '04 TE510 at my local dealer that is marked down from $6900 to $6200 as they are trying to clear out the '04s. I want to get the TE450 and will have to wait for the '05s. What are your thoughts of the 450 vs the 510? I could get into this 510 for less $ than a new 450. The only difference I can see is the bore and stroke. Everything else is identicle I believe. The specs also say the 510 is 2 lbs lighter than the 450. I don't compete so I'm not concerned about the size of the engine in terms of fitting into a particular racing class. I wonder if the 510 has the same power characteristics as the 450, smooth, steady, predictable and it hooks up well.

ktl...

I just sold a 01 TE510 with 3000 to 4000 miles no problems at all. I picked up a 04 TE510 2 months ago. In my opinion its the best dirt bike for me, and i have owned almost every other brand. I ride desert, baja as well as tight trails in arrowhead. Take a good look at Husky they have a great product. :devil:

There is an '04 TE510 at my local dealer that is marked down from $6900 to $6200 as they are trying to clear out the '04s. I want to get the TE450 and will have to wait for the '05s. What are your thoughts of the 450 vs the 510? I could get into this 510 for less $ than a new 450. The only difference I can see is the bore and stroke. Everything else is identicle I believe. The specs also say the 510 is 2 lbs lighter than the 450. I don't compete so I'm not concerned about the size of the engine in terms of fitting into a particular racing class. I wonder if the 510 has the same power characteristics as the 450, smooth, steady, predictable and it hooks up well.

ktl...

From everything I have heard the 510 is more old school motor, slower reving and more bottom end. Personally I find the 450 to be perfect for me. Pleanty of power but not the kind that beats you up. ?

I had a 2004 TE450 for two months and then got into a 2004 TE510. Actually owned them both for about a month. I ride at higher altitudes here in Montana which might affect the overall HP.

The 450 revs faster and more. The 510 definately has more low end and is much, much, much easier to dial the front end up.

The 450 definately has more wheel spin. I tried everything from tires to rear shock settings to make the power more tractable on the 450. I would want the front end to come up and all I would get was wheel spin.

The 510 suits my riding style better and for my altitude. The 450 could be faster? Maybe but I doubt it. I know the 510 has the balls to get you faster top end speeds like in Desert racing.

The 510 is clunkier when you are putting arond at low rpms. BUT, if you come up to something wierd like turning around a big rock, because of the downed tree, while going up a steep incline in order to miss that big tree going 2.4 MPH and have to dial it on to pull out of it or crash, the 510 shines and will do it everytime. The 450 had a inclining to stall. Although I would never do it if I still had a 450, a heavier flywheel would help in this arena but you would loose some of the rocketship accelleration.

The 510 is better in that one time each ride when you needed a trials bike type powerband. A heavier flywheel is not necessary on the 510.

The power delivery is the same on both bikes, very smooth and linear. There is no difference in fatigue in riding either bike. You don't seem to get tired. There is about 1/4" more stroke on the 510.

The spark plug and valve cover are a little harder to get out or off on the 510 due to the frame clearance but not at all difficult. I noticed this when I checked the valve clearances on both bikes at the same time. on the 510

If you weigh less than 175 lbs, I'd maybe stick with the 450. If I weighed less than 175 lbs., I'd still stick with the 510.

If I were you I'd buy the 510 and soon before it's gone.

The 510 is for me.

Flame on

All true about the 510. I ride desert and GP races and am amazed at the pulling power at any RPM. There is no "hit" like my YZ250F, it just revs higher and higher. I have a problem with wheel spin also and put in a request for advice on a tire for sand, mud and loose loam. The suspension is still a bit stiff but getting better after about 300 miles of pounding. I am still running a stock set up carb and have changed my cornering technique to avoid the cough-stall. It is mostly successful but am still waiting for the final verdict on tuning. Love the bike.

I have owned both the 520 ktm and the 450 ktm, the 450 feels like it wieghs 20lbs than the 520, is this true for the Husky also? I have a 450te and love it, except for the quick revving part, I ride more from momentum than from cut and thrust method so I'm having a hard time finding the right combo with the 450, maybe a 510 would have the torque and rev slower to help this.

For those who have ridden both, how does the 510 compare to the 450 in terms of how the power comes on and the rate of acceleration? Is the 510 alot different than the 450 or a little different? I have a '90 Suzuki DR350 which pulls really smooth and well (torquie) from the bottom end but gets weak at the top end. The '87 Husqvarna WR250 is weak at the bottom end but comes on hard and pulls strong (the rear wheel usually breaks and spins until you back off a little)once you hit the right rpm range. I like the strenghts of both bikes and am hoping the 450/510 will cover the best of both with good low, mid and top end characteristics. I'm really debating whether to buy the 510 that is available locally or to wait for the '05 450, which is looking like a wait until Nov-Dec.

I don't get to buy a new bike very often so I'm really having to think it through. I've not been able to ride either model so I don't know how they feel for sure. The information in the forum has been very helpful. I ride the DR350 and WR250 about twice a week (I prefer the WR250 as it is lighter,comes on harder and has a better top end). I've breifly ridden an '03 Honda CR250 and an '04 Honda CRF450R. I suspec the 450 and 510 will perform like the CRF450R (good low end and tons of power with rmps) only won't pull as hard. The CRF450R was easy to stall when putting around.

Thanks in advance for all the helpful advice. I know it all comes down to personal preference and riding style. I just have to figure out what mine is. Husqvarna is a preference for sure. Just which one?

ktl...

Does anyone have any dyno charts on the 450 and 510 to look at for comparison? The 450's compression ratio is 12:1. The 250's is 12.5:1. Does anyone know the the 510's compression ratio? Does anyone know the max RMP on the 450 and 510? I know the 250 revs higher than the 450. I suspect the 450 revs higher than the 510. I'm still digging to reach an understanding of the differences between the 450 and 510 to help me with my buying decision. It would be alot easier if I could test ride em.

Thanks,

ktl...