Sign in to follow this  

Starter problems

I have a te 450 and sometimes when I stop or the bike dies . I'll put it in neutral and hit the start button and all it does is make a click noise and doesn't turn over . I'll put the bike in gear and roll it back and forth until I here the starter unhang . Have any of you had the same problem ? What do I need to do to fix this ? :thumbsup:

Your engine may have stalled out at TDC on the compression stroke making it difficult for the starter to turn over. Use the decompression lever to get it going. You should also sort out your jetting (see http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1257656/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1) and turn the idle up a bit so it won't stall when coming to a stop. :thumbsup:

check to see if your battery is fully charged (12.5-13.5volts) if it is good if not charge it with a low amp charger (battery tender makes a good one). these gell cell batteries although charged when new do require a boost to bring them up to full charge. if the battery is good check that the terminals are tight; this is usualy the problem! if that is ok start your bike and see what your charging systerm is putting out(should be 12.5-14.5 volts at 3500rpm).if still you get a clicking replace the solinoid. good luck. :thumbsup::devil:

Pull your starter and take a look through the hole, check out the gear the starter engages with. With bike on a stand, in gear, use the rear wheel to rotate the gearing. This has happened to mine. Easy to change.

:thumbsup:

Your engine may have stalled out at TDC on the compression stroke making it difficult for the starter to turn over. Use the decompression lever to get it going. You should also sort out your jetting (see http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1257656/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1) and turn the idle up a bit so it won't stall when coming to a stop. :devil:

Thanks I'm also trying to get mine jetted right . Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

On the exhaust cam is the decomp & I've found the pin sticks sometimes which dosn't let the decomp open the valve. I just spray some cleaner in the hole & free it up.