Basic setup for an off road bike.

Hi Dwight,

A quick question about gearing. You indicated you like to go down on gearing just a little for off-road riding. I have a DRZ-400, front sprocket 14, rear sprocket 47. What would be a good setup for the DRZ? I am in Northern Colorado and ride from 5000' to 12000' through all kinds of terrain. Thanks a lot, really enjoy this forum. See ya.

Rick....

I went down a tooth on the front sprocket on mine and it made a very pleasant difference in the tight stuff. It does affect your top end though. Ride safe and enjoy the scenery.

Saltair

You need the stock springs on your Yamaha WR250F. Back off your compression damping till you just start to bottom then go in one click.

Your brother will need a new chain ( Preferably Oring) and a 2 tooth larger counter shaft sprocket.

Moose Handguards by all means.

Dwight

thanks alot dwight i put the factory springs back in and its great, and my bro likes how the gearing is in his bike now thanks again

Dusten

Hey Dwight,

I got a set of Moose Racing Mini Bend bars for my 250x, but am having a real problem getting all of the controls to fit, specifically getting the starter switch to fit. Seems to need another 1/2 inch to fit properly. Anyone had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hey Dwight,

I got a set of Moose Racing Mini Bend bars for my 250x, but am having a real problem getting all of the controls to fit, specifically getting the starter switch to fit. Seems to need another 1/2 inch to fit properly. Anyone had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Did you cut your levers down 1/2" ? I always do so they clear the Barkbusters.

Otherwise no problem at all.

Dwight

Did you cut your levers down 1/2" ? I always do so they clear the Barkbusters.

Otherwise no problem at all.

Dwight

I did cut the levers down. The problem I am having is the starter switch won't fit, but I looked at it again, and I think I can relocate the switch to the clutch side where there is more room. I will give that a try and see how it goes.

Steve

I own a 02 yz426f & have just gone to 14/52 JT steel combo for the insane woods riding behind my house & it it Awesome. I now can thump & climb along in second, & climb anything in first, w/o overthrottling or stalling that i was going through before. I recommend the 14/52 combo for anyone like me learning the awkward way how to ride the real woods trails. So much more forgiving. Have also set my tires lower to 12 psi; I use the Dunlop 739 tires, & have my suspension set softer as well. I find the front soaks up the rocks & roots/ruts better, & the tail isn't so happy about jumping sideways. Question--When I go back down to the wide open shale hills & jumps, is it recommended "ok" to swap rear sprockets back to 48 or does this cause strain on the swingarm or other parts?

Looking for some advice on setup:

I have a 1999 tm racing en 300 that I got used last year. I'm 6 foot tall and weigh 200 lbs. I ride mostly rocky and hard packed dirt in the eastern TN area (Coal Creek, Tellico, Brimstone, Royal Blue) I do some single track and would like to still be able to do some track days but woods trails are my main forte. I have tried to set sag for my weight. The front forks seem incredibly stiff even with the compression backed out all the way. The factory manual (italian converted in to english done by motoxerotica) suggest the use of 600cc of 7wt fork oil. The suspension is about to be sent off to motoxerotica (the US Tm distributor) for a full rebuild. The rebuild is pretty much required as I have 2 seals that have started to leak badly. Before the seals were blown I didn't notice any improvement by switching to fresh fork oil perhaps because the bushing were worn?

I am getting bad fatigue from riding with the front forks the way they are. What should I ask for while sending this off for service? Even factory MX bikes feels considerably more managable on the same trails compared to my enduro oriented bike.

BTW. I have noticed quite a bit of info on the TM's in the exotics sections of the forums here on TT. Do you know of any other good sources of information for maintaining/setup of these bikes?

I've been using a Protaper Carmichael bar that has worked out rather well for my size. I haven't gotten into much very tight singletrack yet but plan on it. I run Acerbis Prorally handguards with these bars but might consider trimming the bars based on your recommendation. In order to fit these bars I had to use Protapers universal adapter on my TM racing tripleclamps which seems to have raised the bar up to a comfortable level for standing while in the attack position? Would you still recommend an even higher raised bar? The measurements of the Carmichael bar are 31.5"width 3"height 2.17" pullback.

Thanks in advance for any response.

And jesus christ you must be a badass rider. Do you have any riding footage available online? I've been watching as much enduro footage as I can find in order to learn how to ride woods quickly!

Looking for some advice on setup:

I have a 1999 tm racing en 300 that I got used last year. I'm 6 foot tall and weigh 200 lbs. I ride mostly rocky and hard packed dirt in the eastern TN area (Coal Creek, Tellico, Brimstone, Royal Blue) I do some single track and would like to still be able to do some track days but woods trails are my main forte. I have tried to set sag for my weight. The front forks seem incredibly stiff even with the compression backed out all the way. The factory manual (italian converted in to english done by motoxerotica) suggest the use of 600cc of 7wt fork oil. The suspension is about to be sent off to motoxerotica (the US Tm distributor) for a full rebuild. The rebuild is pretty much required as I have 2 seals that have started to leak badly. Before the seals were blown I didn't notice any improvement by switching to fresh fork oil perhaps because the bushing were worn?

I am getting bad fatigue from riding with the front forks the way they are. What should I ask for while sending this off for service? Even factory MX bikes feels considerably more managable on the same trails compared to my enduro oriented bike.

BTW. I have noticed quite a bit of info on the TM's in the exotics sections of the forums here on TT. Do you know of any other good sources of information for maintaining/setup of these bikes?

I've been using a Protaper Carmichael bar that has worked out rather well for my size. I haven't gotten into much very tight singletrack yet but plan on it. I run Acerbis Prorally handguards with these bars but might consider trimming the bars based on your recommendation. In order to fit these bars I had to use Protapers universal adapter on my TM racing tripleclamps which seems to have raised the bar up to a comfortable level for standing while in the attack position? Would you still recommend an even higher raised bar? The measurements of the Carmichael bar are 31.5"width 3"height 2.17" pullback.

Thanks in advance for any response.

And jesus christ you must be a badass rider. Do you have any riding footage available online? I've been watching as much enduro footage as I can find in order to learn how to ride woods quickly!

Try PJ1 2 1/2 wt fork oil. Make sure your fork rider sag is about 75-80mm.

Make sure your rider sag on rear shock is about 105mm.

Good luck,

Dwight

Dwight. Thanks fo the set-up info. I'll give it a try. BTY did you ever ride ISDT with an old High School riding buddy of mine, Rick Munyon. He road for Yamaha in the late '70s'. I think '77' in France and '80' in Czeck...

Dwight. Thanks fo the set-up info. I'll give it a try. BTY did you ever ride ISDT with an old High School riding buddy of mine, Rick Munyon. He road for Yamaha in the late '70s'. I think '77' in France and '80' in Czeck...

I met Rick but don't really know him. I rode for Yamaha in 1978. I remember Chris Carter , Jim Fishback, Carl Cranke and Dane Leimbach from then. I thought Rick rode a Honda but I am not sure. 1977 was Czecho and 80 was France. I qualified for Czechoslovakia but broke my collar bone in a Crop Dusting accident just before the ISDT. I was riding for Hercules at the time. I missed going to France due to dislocated ankle at the Trask Mtn Qualifer and the next week at Bellingham, Wa. I wasn't healed enough to be competitive although I rode.

Dwight

You're right:prof: . He did ride for Honda. I seem to remember he complained about having to ride a 4 stroke as they were heavy and underpowered back then. We were riding Pentons in those days. In fact I sold my '73' Jackpiner last year to Victor Monz (POG). It was restored by another High School Buddy, Mark Biro (POG). I hated to part with it, but it turned out Amazing...

hi i am new to TT just was reading about isdt in the late 70's i am from R.I. used to ride alot back then Keven Lavoe use to ride for penton if i remember right . rode the same trails ,we would just pull over when we heard his bike coming. just got a klx 400 now riding in AZ. VERY DIFFERENT terrain.i need to raise the bars and a few other things but having so much fun i almost feel young again.

hi i am new to TT just was reading about isdt in the late 70's i am from R.I. used to ride alot back then Keven Lavoe use to ride for penton if i remember right . rode the same trails ,we would just pull over when we heard his bike coming. just got a klx 400 now riding in AZ. VERY DIFFERENT terrain.i need to raise the bars and a few other things but having so much fun i almost feel young again.

I know Kevin very well. I first met him when he was riding for OSSA. Then Penton and KTM.

I was riding for Hercules.

Dwight

Well it's a small world on line dwight, nice to talk to you.

Great info Dwight. I've been riding/racing since I was 6 years old. That's 36 years of experience, and it's easy to forget that the "basics" can make the biggest improvements.

What would be the closest thing to the YZ80 bend I could get from Moose?

Can't afford Renthal bars :worthy:

How does one go about determining how high to set the front forks in the tripple clamps? I've already set my sag but and would imagine that this would throw off the fork setup.

What would be the closest thing to the YZ80 bend I could get from Moose?

Can't afford Renthal bars :worthy:

How does one go about determining how high to set the front forks in the tripple clamps? I've already set my sag but and would imagine that this would throw off the fork setup.

There are no subsitutes for the Renthal . Save up. They are stronger and last longer.

As for the fork height, Set stock and set your rider sag at 75mm. I usually pushed my forks out about 5 - 10mm on Hondas to slow down the headshake.

Dwight

ive never really heard of anyone running mini bars on a big bike...wuts the advantage besides not having to cut them down?

thanks dwight ive had a lot of those bikes u mentioned ,gone back to a xr250/280bbkit 01 for a simple life very interested in up gearing i thought it was a bit low & was waiting for my C/S to wear out ,im 5ft8in & still find it tall in some situations ive read a lot of the others tips still not sure what to do .Any tip about xr280 would b appreciated. Thanks G M