Basic setup for an off road bike.

I've always liked not so wide bars I feel like I can throw the bike around easier, or that i'm in more control. Does all your controls fit on mini bike bars, ie: decompresion lever, brake lever clutch, kill switch and still leave room for acerbis bark busters to conect to the bar? I would love an email from somebody on what they think. I'm a newby to this sight and am still learning how all these posts and things work. Thanks

I usually add a stiffer return spring to the lever to help prevent me from dragging the brake in tight woods. The first time you use it it feels funny but you quickly adapt.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Great tip Dwight, I'll try that one :thumbsup:

I've always liked not so wide bars I feel like I can throw the bike around easier, or that i'm in more control. Does all your controls fit on mini bike bars, ie: decompresion lever, brake lever clutch, kill switch and still leave room for acerbis bark busters to conect to the bar? I would love an email from somebody on what they think. I'm a newby to this sight and am still learning how all these posts and things work. Thanks

If 7/8s bars use the Renthal YZ80 bar

If 1 1/8" bar use the Moose Flex Series Mini bar.

Use mini style bark busters

All controls will fit much better than cut full size bars. Just your cross bar on the YZ80 bar will be shorter.

Cher'o,

Dwight

I ride a stock o5 klx300r I'm 6'4" 210lbs any suggestions on set up of sag and recoil. bike seems very stiff over bumps and rocks beats me up. Also my sons 05 crf230 needs some mods to keep up with me any ideas.thanks

I ride a stock o5 klx300r I'm 6'4" 210lbs any suggestions on set up of sag and recoil. bike seems very stiff over bumps and rocks beats me up. Also my sons 05 crf230 needs some mods to keep up with me any ideas.thanks

I would go to a lighter weight oil in the forks and raise the oil level to max. Then I would back off my compression till they start to bottom lightly and go back in one click.

As for your rear shock. How much rear travel do you have on this bike. You want 33% of it in rider sag. If 12" then you want 4" of sag. IF you have more than 10mm of preload on the shock you need a stiffer spring. Too much preload will make the bike feel very stiff but will bottom too much. With your weight I suspect you need stiffer spring. With stiffer spring you may need to go in on rebound a couple clicks. You should also back off compression till you start to bottom then go back in one click.

As for your sons bike, the CRF230. How much does he weight ? I would go to lighter or heavier fork oil as needed. If he is bottoming out raise oil level to max.

His rear shock . You should get a WORKS PERFORMANCE SHOCK for him. Parts Unlimited sells them. Get your local dealer to order one for him.

This will be a major upgrade on his suspension.

Cher'o,

Dwight

thanks alot Dwight, great info.My boy wieghs 140lbs so will check into the Works susension for the rear of the honda. As for mine I'll take some measurments and make adjustments. Again thanks alot.

Go with 5 wt fork oil set to max level.

Dwight

Dwight,

Great post. It takes years to learn this stuff. Thanks for sharing. I am setting up a YZ 426 for more woods riding. I do a lot of different kinds of riding though and can't affort 3 bikes. I find myself slipping the clutch a LOT on steep root infested tight hills. I geared down from a 14/49 for track to a 13/50. I still slip the clutch a lot. Should I drop to a 12 tooth. Also, throttle control is doesn't seem to be much of an issue. How would a flywheel help me. Would it reduce the all out blast off I get from the 426?

Thanks,

Steve

Dwight,

Great post. It takes years to learn this stuff. Thanks for sharing. I am setting up a YZ 426 for more woods riding. I do a lot of different kinds of riding though and can't affort 3 bikes. I find myself slipping the clutch a LOT on steep root infested tight hills. I geared down from a 14/49 for track to a 13/50. I still slip the clutch a lot. Should I drop to a 12 tooth. Also, throttle control is doesn't seem to be much of an issue. How would a flywheel help me. Would it reduce the all out blast off I get from the 426?

Thanks,

Steve

I would leave the gearing as it is now and go with a + 10 to 12 oz flywheel .

Might reduce snap just a tad but you will find it hooks up much better with less stalling. Lugs much better in tight woods.

Dwight

Thanks Dwight. The 426 is pretty smooth but definitely has some snap in the lower gears. What would you recommmend for a second woods bike. Is there something green sticker, light that would work for a 6' 200 lb person.

Thanks a bunch,

Steve

What is wrong with the KTM, Yamaha YZF450WR or the Honda CRFX

Dwight

Lots of good stuff here Dwight. Thanks for putting all of it up and keeping the discussion going. I'd like to know how you and I have never met despite entering many of the same races the last 10 - 15 years? We seem to cross from time to time in this virtual world but not the real world. Now that I am commuting 4000 miles to race with you chances are getting even slimmer. Although I should be racing with you I just can't bring myself to register as a senior. That was my grandfathers class back when Perry Mountain was a new word for Millard's Pasture! I ain't nearly as...ah....experienced as my grandfather!

Gonna throw my $0.02 in and see what I can learn from you guys. I've raced the same SERA hare scrambles and enduros in the southeast as Dwight and to have amassed the accomplishments he has speaks more than most know. My hat is off to you! I'd like to ride with you for as long as I could keep up. Now go easy on me because I haven't made the switch to Thumpers, I'm currently riding a KTM300 EXC and KX250. I got here to TT as my daughter is starting to ride and I'm looking for her a 125.

Haven't tried the Mini Bike bars but might give them a shot next time around. I also like 29".

Haven't tried the Pirelli tires either. I've used S12's and 756's. I brake slide either of these well on my 2 smokes. Either wears well with the slight edge going to the S12's. With Dunlops it seems to be riders either love them or hate them. They seem to work for me however, I haven't tried them on a Thumper. The torque a Thumper puts down may be more than they can stand.

Can't say enough about bike sag. If you can't do anything else to help your bike's suspension adjust the sag until it is right for your size.

I've got a list I can post of the things that I carry in my fender pack if anyone wants to see. One of the best things that I ever did was to jettison the fanny pack and put on a fender pack. I feel much looser on the bike and have less weight on me.

Thanks Again for getting all of this great info in one place.

Dan

Dwight,

I’m 6’5” and 220 lbs in the buff; I ride a ’05 WR250F in the woods and have set up the suspension and controls based on your earlier suggestions in this forum. As you might guess I’m too tall for the factory bars, foot pegs, and seat. My plan is to focus on becoming more comfortable in the standing position and transitioning from sitting to standing. Previously you have recommended the Renthal YZ80 bars and I was going to order a set when I noticed the Renthal YZ85 bar which is taller, slightly wider, and with less pull back. At my height would the YZ85 bars be a better choice for me? Also, I plan to add Fastway pegs which I can install at the lower height as well as tall seat foam. Are these good choices for improving my rider comfort and do you have any other suggestions for those of us too tall for our bikes?

Thanks

Dwight,

I’m 6’5” and 220 lbs in the buff; I ride a ’05 WR250F in the woods and have set up the suspension and controls based on your earlier suggestions in this forum. As you might guess I’m too tall for the factory bars, foot pegs, and seat. My plan is to focus on becoming more comfortable in the standing position and transitioning from sitting to standing. Previously you have recommended the Renthal YZ80 bars and I was going to order a set when I noticed the Renthal YZ85 bar which is taller, slightly wider, and with less pull back. At my height would the YZ85 bars be a better choice for me? Also, I plan to add Fastway pegs which I can install at the lower height as well as tall seat foam. Are these good choices for improving my rider comfort and do you have any other suggestions for those of us too tall for our bikes?

Thanks

You need stiffer springs for sure. Tall seat. Don't think much about the footpegs. You can try the yz85 bars if they are a tad taller and less pullback.

Dwight

i have a 03' dr-z 125 and i need some help on installing a headight and a tail light. i would prefer an acerbis "cyclops" or an acerbis "blitz" headlight and an acerbis enduro tail light with a brake light.

Could you please help me!

Does this bike have a electric start and battery ? If so this will be easy as you can hook it up direct to the battery as I did with my wife's TTR125. Takes some experimentation to get it all right. Be sure to wire in a on off switch to the lights. Wire the brake light up separately with the brake light switch.

Best to get help from an experianced mechanic.

IMO,

Dwight

it doesnt have an electric start or a battery. can i run it off of the magnito?

thats the way my ds80 is setup but it was made back in the 1980s

Dwight,

One more on the narrow bar subject: would you ride ~29 in bars even when there were no trees on this planet? I'm asking 'cause I don't buy the the trees as a reason to cut the bars, if the bars don't hit the trees, shoulders or elbows will. And you can always lean more into the turn.

But I believe in narrow bar ergonomics.

I'm after better ergonomics for rocky trails without headshakes on mx track. I've got 30,7 in bars now and I might go shorter to be able move on the bike more. I'm 5'8" with short arms.

it doesnt have an electric start or a battery. can i run it off of the magnito?

thats the way my ds80 is setup but it was made back in the 1980s

Not without a lighting coil.

Dwight

Dwight,

One more on the narrow bar subject: would you ride ~29 in bars even when there were no trees on this planet? I'm asking 'cause I don't buy the the trees as a reason to cut the bars, if the bars don't hit the trees, shoulders or elbows will. And you can always lean more into the turn.

But I believe in narrow bar ergonomics.

I'm after better ergonomics for rocky trails without headshakes on mx track. I've got 30,7 in bars now and I might go shorter to be able move on the bike more. I'm 5'8" with short arms.

I would still run narrow bars. Trees are one reason. The other is ergonomics and leverage. Get down on floor and give me 10 pushups. Hold your position on the last one and have someone measure from outside each hand. I bet you have about 28" . That is your optimum leverage from your shoulders. So why run longer bars when your leverage is in tighter. If the bars are wide you do increase leverage on the bars but lose strength at your shoulders. I run 29-30" typically. I have run as short as 28 3/4" . Right now on my KTM 525EXC I run 29.5" .

Dwight