Basic setup for an off road bike.

I just thought I would throw some of my setup pointers in and see if anyone could use them.

I generally like a medium soft seat that is wide enough to sit on. Enduro Engineering has a nice wider replacement seat for the 04-05 KTMs.

I also tend to like a slightly taller handlebar setup. I like to use minibike bars on my race bikes. If using a 7/8's handlebar , I like the Renthal YZ80 bend. Slightly staight bend and about 7 mm taller than CR-HI. You also don't have to trim this bar for the woods. It is just under 29" wide. If using the Fat bar setup that is popular now I find the Moose Flex Series Mini bend bar is very nice. Similar to the YZ80 bend but is 29 1/2" wide. Again no cutting down to size.

I prefer the Moose aluminum handguards. Sometimes I add the plastic deflectors to them. I set them up straight forward when you are sitting on the bike.

I adjust the levers a couple degrees down from straight forward. Adjust the levers to move if you hit them hard with the palm of your hand. I usually trim the balls off and make the levers a 3 finger on the clutch and a 2-3 finger on the brake.

I adjust my shifter slightly above level with the footpeg.

That way you never have to point your toe down to shift. Ride with your toes pointed down and you chance breaking your toes or foot. You may have to shift by raising your leg when sitting way forward.

Adjust your rear break lever to have about 3/4 to 1" of play. Adjust to level with foot peg. I usually add a stiffer return spring to the lever to help prevent me from dragging the break in tight woods. The first time you use it it feels funny but you quickly adapt. Use a High temp brake fluid like Maxima or Motul Racing. I also prefer using Moose Brake pads. These are made by DP Brakes for Moose. The difference is that the Moose pads have double the ceramics on the back to prevent heat transfer and helps keep the brake fluid from boiling. They work well and last long also.

I also set my suspension up very light but controlled. I don't want the suspension to "Baby Buggy".

I like Pirelli tires with Bridgestone HD tubes. I use the MT83/Scorpion Pro front tire in the wet and the MT16 when dry. I always run the MT16 rears and adjust air pressure for the situation. If wet I will run 11 PSI ft and 10 PSI rear. If dry I run 12 Psi ft and rear. I like the MT16 rear tire for the control it gives me in the woods. It allows me to slide my rear tire with total control. I can brake slide a tight turn and roost out . I find I couldn't do this using a tire like the Michelin S12. The S12 just got too much traction ( if there is such a thing ). The Pirelli MT16s are Pirelli's cheapest tires too. I usually gear my bikes down a bit. Like on my KTM 525EXC, I went from a 48T rear to a 52-53T. On my Honda XR400 I went from a 45T to a 48T. On my Honda XR250s ( with big bore kits), I had to go to a 46T from a 48T. Which is gearing taller as it was geared too low from the factory. Like the TTR125 Yamaha is geared way too low. I had to go up 2 teeth on the Countershaft sprocket on my wife's bike.

Just thought I would throw these ideas out there,

Cher'o,

Dwight

• Like 7

Very interesting info Dwight, I think this should be a sticky........... :thumbsup:

Nice post Dwight and some good tips.

My son is bringing along a TTR125 rider next week, but I don't think his TTR125 is geard too low--for his ability anyway. The suspension on that bike is pretty lame compared to my son's YZ--which we have dialed pretty plush. We all have the Moose busters on our bars--mine are mounted to the TC--the others to the bars. I cut my bars to 28" and the busters make them about 29". I had to go to the TC mounts to give me dash room! My pedals and my son's are set up like yours. Where did you find the heaviers brake spring? I need to change the brake fluids and get some Moose pads.

I don't do brake slides and roost out! I just like to cruise and enjoy the single track. My bike is pretty quiet and when I lead, I often see a lot of game the other's miss. Two nice bucks in velvet just stood in front of me last time up, and my son on his noisy YZ85 even got to see them--running away!

Back to the busters, why do you sometimes run the plastic, and other times not? I did notice the last time up riding, my hands were getting hot, even with Moose Sahara gloves, so I may take them off this weekend and see what happens. I like them when it is really cold out, like below 50-45 degrees F. I tape the slots closed too. I may even make some sort of milk jug mod to provide more coverage against wind. I wouldn't mind heated grips either!

Rudy, You will find that the top speed of the TTR125 is only about 48 MPH. I found that with the taller gearing I had plenty of power and 58mph which is good for cruising down the dirt road at 40+ mph. 28" is awful short. Even for me. The Renthal YZ80 bar is 28.8" without bark busters. I don't measure the barkbusters only the bar width.

Dwight

Where did you get the spring for the rear brake? I was thinking about this as well. I'd like to "know" that I'm on the break before I start slowing down - especially if I don't want to be :thumbsup:

Good info, thanks. pirelli M16s hmmmm and the front is DOT too. good to know I was gonna go S12. I ride mostly in the woods. I have a pair of Bar Risers on my DRZ. Moves the bars up and forward - very nice for tall guys.

Dwight,

Are the pirelli mt16s a long lasting tire? I live in a really rocky, dry area, and my tires seem to be going way too fast. I have a michelin m12, and it gets too loose for me, I don't mind getting the rear end out, but the m12 doesn't let me accelerate worth crap after a few rides. Also, what type of suspension mods do you reccomend for somebody on a budget? I'm feeling more beat up after every ride, and it sucks.

Thanks for the help

Kevin

I went out and measured the bars--30.5" including the busters. They were 32" plus the busters--way too wide. They seem to work well enough for me--just need to look ahead more! I will never be one to wheely and turn the bars to get through the tight stuff!

Dwight,

Are the pirelli mt16s a long lasting tire? I live in a really rocky, dry area, and my tires seem to be going way too fast. I have a michelin m12, and it gets too loose for me, I don't mind getting the rear end out, but the m12 doesn't let me accelerate worth crap after a few rides. Also, what type of suspension mods do you reccomend for somebody on a budget? I'm feeling more beat up after every ride, and it sucks.

Thanks for the help

Kevin

I find the MT16 cheap and long lasting !

They are fabulous for the price too.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Nice post.

Dwight you should dp posts like this on a regular basis.

I'm all ears (eyes).

Dwight

I've been going crazy trying to find higher pro-taper-style bars for my xr400. i find that i cannot stand up completely straight when i want to, to take a break from the attack position.

so what bar bend are you running on your xr400?

thanks

• Like 1

I was using Renthal YZ80 bend. ( 29" and 103mm tall) 7/8s bar.

Cher'o,

Dwight

PS: I am now racing KTM 525EXC and using Moose Flex series mini or Renthal Mini bend fat bar. A bit taller and you don't need to trim for woods racing.

Some of the woods rodents around here use mini bars too.

And I made fun of them.

I'm going to hear about it when I show up with a set.

Maybe they won't notice.

I have a ttr125L, and its top speed is maybe 60-65, its great for the things i do, but the fork springs arent any good at all, i was thinking on buying a pair of fork springs, but i dont know what the best kind of springs are.

I have a ttr125L, and its top speed is maybe 60-65, its great for the things i do, but the fork springs arent any good at all, i was thinking on buying a pair of fork springs, but i dont know what the best kind of springs are.

You can get H/D Fork springs through your Parts Unlimited Dealer:

Joker Machine makes them

Fork spring : 0405-0022 $89.95

Shock spring : 1312-0014 $89.95

Cher'o,

Dwight

Dwight

This is a GREAT post for a non-mechanic newbie like me.

You layed it out so simply that any one will under stand what your talking about!!!!!!

When you get to chating with experienced rider's I get lost....oh well...

I've just entered my first race at the age of 42, the Elsinor gand prix. My only goal's is to have fun and to finish.. in that order.

Is there any thing I should bring,carry,have, besides my Very basic riding gear?? Im riding my stock 04 drz400s

THANK'S for your time!!!!!!!

• Like 1

drzdog, take a fanny pack with your basic tools and extra spark plug and chain master link. You should be able to basic trail side maintainance.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Dwight,

Thanks for taking the time to anser such a trivial question.

Ive only been on thumper talk for a few days and have only made my way threw 2 pages of the threads on this link.

Im am so impressed with not only you Dwight , but also with all the othere skilled rider's who are willing to spend thier time to anser questions from newbies like me.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

And Dwight, You ar WAY COOL :cry:

• Like 2