Jetting chart for XR650R

Does anyone have the jetting chart for the XR650R? I just went to the 70 pilot and 175 main and the popping noise when decel finally went away. Seems like I've lost a bit of the low end grunt though. So does anyone have the chart so I can take a peek at it?

I've lost a bit of the low end grunt though.

try a 68s and a 172 main if your air box isnt opened up ?

jeff

This is what I changed to after having used the 175 main. I felt it was too rich in the tight trails. Hot starts were a pain. The 172 works mint and is much more snappy. Qadsan I believe created that chart and I use it all the time. Props to the Pig genious. :devil:

• Like 1

Yeah I think your right. It was a 65S and a 175 main. I went to go buy a new pilot and all they had was the 70. Once I put that in though I lost the popping noise on decel which was cool. But think I'm going to try the 68S/172. I'm at 0 elevation and I do have aftermarket powerbomb headers and aftermarket exhaust so I read that those mods alone should make you boost up 2 higher on the main jet. Just got to find someone who has the 68S.

BIGGITY the 68s is tough to come by. Order it from BajaDesigns or a honda dealer. If you need the Part# then let us know. As for the main jet, I would be running a 175 during the moderate to hot temp months and a 178-180 during the winter if you plan to ride then. The 68s should be standard and good for all year with your B53 needle in the 3rd clip position.

BIGGITY the 68s is tough to come by. Order it from BajaDesigns or a honda dealer.

i ordered mine from the honda dealer (PMS) in san juan capistrano - just north of you ? you have to order it - they have a 68 but not the 68s - the 68s is the honda part the 68 is the kein part - just order this part # 99105-MBN-0680 (68s) and you will get the right one - even there computer dosent show the "s" but that is the right part #

jeff :devil:

BIGGITY the 68s is tough to come by. Order it from BajaDesigns or a honda dealer.

i ordered mine from the honda dealer (PMS) in san juan capistrano - just north of you ? you have to order it - they have a 68 but not the 68s - the 68s is the honda part the 68 is the kein part - just order this part # 99105-MBN-0680 (68s) and you will get the right one - even there computer dosent show the "s" but that is the right part #

jeff :devil:

I just called PMS and all they have is the 68. Is there really that much difference from the 68S? I know the 68S has slightly smaller holes. Besides that should I be worried running a 68/175?

Is there really that much difference from the 68S? I know the 68S has slightly smaller holes. Besides that should I be worried running a 68/175?

68pilots.jpg

i am not a jetting guru - i just did what the the guys on http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/XR650R/ and TT said to do? i played with the 65s, 68, 68s, and the 70 plus 170, 172, 175, and 178 - i ride sea level to 4000ft and the jetting that worked the best for me (with a closed airbox) was 68s and 172 main ? - i did up the main to a 178 when i drilled the holes in the airbox :devil:

if i had to do it all over again i wish i would of saved the time and money i spent on new jets, pulling the tank and carb off and just bought the edelbrock/quicksilver right off the bat :awww: $399 was money well spent?

jeff :D

Is there really that much difference from the 68S? I know the 68S has slightly smaller holes. Besides that should I be worried running a 68/175?

68pilots.jpg

i am not a jetting guru - i just did what the the guys on http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/XR650R/ and TT said to do ? i played with the 65s, 68, 68s, and the 70 plus 170, 172, 175, and 178 - i ride sea level to 4000ft and the jetting that worked the best for me (with a closed airbox) was 68s and 172 main? - i did up the main to a 178 when i drilled the holes in the airbox :devil:

if i had to do it all over again i wish i would of saved the time and money i spent on new jets, pulling the tank and carb off and just bought the edelbrock/quicksilver right off the bat :awww: $399 was money well spent?

jeff :D

How hard is it to install the Edelbrock? And why is it so much better?

How hard is it to install the Edelbrock? And why is it so much better?

If you can remove and install the stock carb, you can install the Edelbrock. It comes as a complete bolt on kit with a new throttle tube, new cables, etc. It's simpler to adjust, has a better tolerance to changes in altitude due to its patented dual vent design, eliminates flooding because of its internal fuel cell design, it carburates better due to the straight through design of the venturi (no butterfly to obstruct or disrupt air flow), has an accelerator pump like most modern MX bike do which significantly improves the off idle & low end throttle response when you whack open the throttle from down low, it's externally adjustable so you don't have to take the carb apart for most adjustments, etc. Here's a quick link that highlights some features...

http://www.edelbrock.com/motorcycle/index.html

The Edelbrock carb kit usually costs about $500, but you can get it from places like Cyclestuff USA for $485

http://www.cyclestuffusa.com/edelbrockcarburetors.html...but right now you can get the exact same kit through Barnums Pro Products for $350!!! www.barnumspro.com

The catcher is that these carbs won't be available until late October because Edelbrock is short on parts and can't build them until certain parts come in. Barnums is running this super summer sale right now just to keep the Edelbrock flow going, but they won't have these carbs on sale forever. Rob Barnum used to work at Edelbrock doing R&D on various products includng this carb and he knows this product better than anyone out there should you ever need support and he professionally races everything he sells so he knows first hand exactly how his products perform. Rob can be contacted at sales@barnumspro.com or (760) 868-8097 if he's not out racing ? I have these carbs on several bikes and would gladly buy them again for my wants/needs.

The wait to get one is a big downfall, but that's why their so cheap right now. The price is another downfall, but its still cheaper than the FCR or Mikuni (I just wish all these carbs were $250 or less). One potential downfall that comes to mind is that you can't adjust as many individual parts of the air/fuel circuits as you can with other carbs, but then that's also part of the beauty of the system because it keeps everything simple and I've never had a need to require something outside of different needles, clicker settings, etc. I've installed over a dozen of these carbs for friends and I've always been able to quickly tune them for excellent performance. Installation is easy and the bike should fire right up just the way the carb comes from Barnums without any other changes.

• 15 years later...

my xr650r wont get past half throttle with 175 main it just cuts out like starving for fuel I have 188 main now  it seems to rich on bottom and mid throttle   it starts easy  I have 68s pilot with 53e needle   I going to move needle to lean it out    anyone else have these probs ?

7 minutes ago, Doggie.Stiles said:

my xr650r wont get past half throttle with 175 main it just cuts out like starving for fuel I have 188 main now  it seems to rich on bottom and mid throttle   it starts easy  I have 68s pilot with 53e needle   I going to move needle to lean it out    anyone else have these probs ?

Did you look at the date on the tread you posted on?     8/19/2004 ?   You may have better luck posting on a more current thread. ALSO, Give some specifics about your bike: Has it been sitting for a while (month or more?). Is it BONE STOCK? Do you have any engine mods or a different exhaust and, since you are asking about jetting, what air filter do you run? Is your air box opened up and most importantly, what carb are you running? List all your jets sizes.  Just for starters though, I will tell you that the main jet (depending on what brand and model of carb.) ONLY controls fuel levels at between 3/4 or 7/8 to FULL throttle so may not be your problem.