No Spark

Just put my carb back together with replacement slide plate and Zip-TY fuel screw. Kicked it for about a hour but would not start. As a last resort I checked the plug for a spark and guess what "NOTHING". I can't see a break in the wires anywhere. I have tried a different plug and cap but still no spark.

Any ideas guys?

Could the coil be faulty?

If i disconnect the Orang and the black wire from the coil, touch them together and kick her should I get a spark or do you need the coil ?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you may have forgotten to connect something, or maybe pulled a connector loose while taking the carb off. Yes, you will need the coil. Without it there will be very little spark if any. Are you sure that the spade connector on the bottom inside of the coil is making good contact? Hope this helps,

Josh

do you have a dual sport kit on it?

the on off switch for the dual sport kid may be faulty. Or you may have a short between the normal kill switch. IT is possible for the part that fits on the plug to come appart from the wire that hooks on to the coil. Just press them back together really good.

I ahve had all of these problems before and that is what i did to fix it.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Chris

do you have an ohm meter?

If so check the continuity between the plug holder and the coil. Make sure that connection is there.

i have not heard of coils just dieing. Good luck. I will let you know if i can think of anything else.

Chris

If i disconnect the Orang and the black wire from the coil, touch them together and kick her

Dont do that, it'll fry your cdi box. Disconnect the orange and black wires from the coil and fit a light bulb between them and kick. You should see a flicker in the bulb.

Bulb flickers: it's the coil, lead,cap or plug.

Bulb doesnt flicker: it's the CDI,stator, wiring.

Check you workshop manual for test procedures. It's explained in plain english and easy to understand, even for someone with no electrical knoledge.

To eliminate the spark plug, remove the plug from the cap and inset a screwdriver blade into the cap. Hold the screwdriver handle so part of the shaft is almost touching part of the engine , then kick. Still no spark? then it's not the plug. Refer to the bible for the coil/lead/cap resistances. Manual can be found at motoman393's site